Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
I have at last checked out the Emerson’s Green park and ride site for the new(ish) metro bus.
I am sorry to report that all entrances have 2m height barriers and the parking notices say any vehicle must be parked wholly within the lines.
All the roads around are on new housing estates and there is little or no scope for on road parking.
I cannot at the moment think of anywhere on the metro bus route that is suitable for parking.
@GJH

Jan 24, 2013
Near Bristol
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Rhythm
Exp
Since 2012, so still learning
Seems to be the same with the Avonmouth one. Have used it with a car for work sometimes, and its good. But what an opportunity being missed. Lots of motorhomes would want to visit Bristol.

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
Sent the following email to Bristol City Council on 29/08/18 as per GJH's suggestions about approaching LAs

Hi
I am a member of the Camping and Caravan Club and the foremost online motorhome club Motorhomefun.co.uk.
We are aware that the very popular Baltic Wharf site is scheduled to close.
There is great demand by motorhomers to access cities such as Bristol but parking for our vehicles is rarely catered for.
Parking bays are too small and height restriction barriers make finding a parking space difficult.
There are some that would like to stop over, sleeping in their vehicles for just one night after visiting the city.
This would not include camping as such, occupants remaining inside their vehicles, nothing placed outside.
Payment for this would be expected, in excess of the current overnight charges, providing extra income on car parks little used at night.
To ensure motorhomes moved on a stay could be limited to no more than say 20 hours, no return in 48 hours to ensure a turnover in visitors, not just from the UK but Europe where these sort of facilities are widespread.
Just a few carparks would be needed.
Would the city council consider this type of facility, even on a trial basis?
Thank you for reading...hoping for a response
Sincerely

Still waiting for a reply.................

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 25, 2013
Funster No
Exp
Old wild camper in transit
This year Bristol as gone out of its way to get rid of vechiles in city centre , with massive increase in parking charges so forcing everyone to use park and ride , me I still park behind the coulston hall Thank you Bristol council .

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
As far as I know the Long Ashton p & r has no barrier.
That is correct, and motorhome parking is expressly permitted. But not overnight.

I think I wrote about it on here a few weeks ago, particularly in connection with the new multi-million £ metro bus service from there.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
That is correct, and motorhome parking is expressly permitted. But not overnight.

I think I wrote about it on here a few weeks ago, particularly in connection with the new multi-million £ metro bus service from there.
Yes Mike. . Long Ashton is where motorhomes can be parked.
I'm not surprised to see the comment (above) that Bristol has gone out of its way to get rid of vehicles in the city centre. Like many old towns and cities in this country the old road layout makes it difficult to accommodate modern day traffic - bad enough for cars let alone large vehicles.

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
Yes Mike. . Long Ashton is where motorhomes can be parked.
I'm not surprised to see the comment (above) that Bristol has gone out of its way to get rid of vehicles in the city centre. Like many old towns and cities in this country the old road layout makes it difficult to accommodate modern day traffic - bad enough for cars let alone large vehicles.

That was a deliberate policy by the City Council to deter motorists. But it wold be a mistake to blame the road layout on the original medieval street plan, very little of which still remains since the WW2 Blitz and modern town planning took hold.

In the 1960s and 1970s Bristol had a modern inner ring road as well as a state-of-the-art computerised Scoot system designed to synchronise the traffic lights to prioritise traffic flow. Under the right conditions you used to be able to drive across Bristol through the Centre without stopping at all. Green lights all the way.

The former inner ring road doesn't exist because sections have since been removed. Main A-roads leading into the City that had been dualled in the 1960s to help traffic enter and leave the city faster were deliberately modified by the Council with new "choke points" where they go down to one lane, to create congestion. You could not make it up. The Council is fundamentally anti-car and the Planners refer to "car-free urbanism" as a policy for new developments.

Bristol could have had a modern light railway / tram system in the 1980s to get commuters out of their cars and it even got funding allocated by Government, but the promoters failed to get the necessary enabling private Bill through Parliament thanks to wrecking tactics by the City's "militant cycling tendency" as it was described by a local politician.

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
We live in between Bristol and Bath. The only way we go into either city is on a motorbike. Bristol is an absolute joke - a big city that could generate £millions in tourist income, run by a thorough bunch of idiots.

Councils winge on and on about financial problems, and cutbacks, yet they all ignore the income they could get if they only let motorhomers stay in the P+R sites.

Baltic Wharf is closing (not that you could ever get a pitch there anyway), and with it the last site for vans.

Yet there are caravans parked up all over the city and suburbs illegally and nothing is done - as I said run by a bunch of idiots, and Bath is running a close second. :mad:

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
Apparently there was a scheme to concrete over the wharves and marinas to create a superhighway through Bristol. Thank heavens that idea was never followed through!

D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
Going off topic...
Yet there are caravans parked up all over the city and suburbs illegally and nothing is done - as I said run by a bunch of idiots, and Bath is running a close second. :mad:
I gather that it's becoming a public health/environmental issue, with many van/caravan dwellers emptying waste inappropriately.
Sections of the river Frome and other streams are resembling open sewers, streets are literally stinking of s***.
I don't think it'll be long before the councils are forced to take action - what form that will take, I have no idea...

Jul 3, 2008
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 700
Exp
since 1998
It is an environmental/health issue owing to the shortsightedness of councils both in Bristol and other cities/towns thru out the UK who appear to have a not in our back garden mentality regarding motorhomes visiting them

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
I regularly see vans parked up overnight in the SS Great Britain car park.
But wouldn’t that be great if it was official Motorhome parking that people paid for? A brilliant spot - right in the harbour - walking distance to spend money in the pubs and restaurants nearby? Also added overnight security for the SS Great Britain centre.

Surely the City Councillors on their ‘town twinning jollies’ - Bristol/Bordeaux, Keynsham/Libourne, Cheltenham/Annecy and many others I can’t bring to mind - would have spotted the Aires packed with Motorhomes, most of the owners of which are in the towns spending money? You’de think they wouldn’t want to miss an opportunity to fund their biscuit and cake funds/ team Awaydays/ ‘Aren’t we doing wonderfully well’ Awards/ ‘how can we f*^k Bristol up any more’ committee meetings......

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
That was a deliberate policy by the City Council to deter motorists. But it wold be a mistake to blame the road layout on the original medieval street plan, very little of which still remains since the WW2 Blitz and modern town planning took hold.

In the 1960s and 1970s Bristol had a modern inner ring road as well as a state-of-the-art computerised Scoot system designed to synchronise the traffic lights to prioritise traffic flow. Under the right conditions you used to be able to drive across Bristol through the Centre without stopping at all. Green lights all the way.

The former inner ring road doesn't exist because sections have since been removed. Main A-roads leading into the City that had been dualled in the 1960s to help traffic enter and leave the city faster were deliberately modified by the Council with new "choke points" where they go down to one lane, to create congestion. You could not make it up. The Council is fundamentally anti-car and the Planners refer to "car-free urbanism" as a policy for new developments.

Bristol could have had a modern light railway / tram system in the 1980s to get commuters out of their cars and it even got funding allocated by Government, but the promoters failed to get the necessary enabling private Bill through Parliament thanks to wrecking tactics by the City's "militant cycling tendency" as it was described by a local politician.
Thanks for the clarification.

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
But wouldn’t that be great if it was official Motorhome parking that people paid for? A brilliant spot - right in the harbour - walking distance to spend money in the pubs and restaurants nearby? Also added overnight security for the SS Great Britain centre.

Surely the City Councillors on their ‘town twinning jollies’ - Bristol/Bordeaux, Keynsham/Libourne, Cheltenham/Annecy and many others I can’t bring to mind - would have spotted the Aires packed with Motorhomes, most of the owners of which are in the towns spending money? You’de think they wouldn’t want to miss an opportunity to fund their biscuit and cake funds/ team Awaydays/ ‘Aren’t we doing wonderfully well’ Awards/ ‘how can we f*^k Bristol up any more’ committee meetings......

Libourne is lovely and for us inmates of KaneShum a must-see on the route to Saint Emilion. :)

When the French twinning lot from Libourne come over to visit they must be underwhelmed, wondering what on earth do these towns have in common. Where's the resemblance? :rolleyes:

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
We live in Saltford, and find the current situation getting in and out of Keynsham a nightmare. We’ve seen Libourne and Bordeaux and they bear no relation to Keynsham and Bristol - and as for Annecy and Cheltenham ...

AB1F0B25-D6BE-4B04-9E64-0F8595C9F80E.jpeg

:eek::rolleyes:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back