Bringing your pets food into Europe from UK. (1 Viewer)

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Wanting to abide by the legislation we took no dog food to Europe in April when we went for 88 days. Nightmare! Had to rush around the first night to locate a pet store to buy food. Our dogs normally have Royal Canin kibble- but this was not available. Bought the best kibble they sold- and both dogs got upset stomach’s. Not nice for them- or me! Then managed to find a Royal Canin supplier- bags were twice the UK price! But it had to be done.
No dog should be transitioned over to a new food in one day- they should be moved across to new food over a week. IMHO this is an area of legislation that should be changed to at least allow you to take one weeks food supply for each dog.
Next trip I shall take sacks with me and just hope we don’t get checked 🤞
My dogs ate anything I fed them and never left a morsal,,,mind you I did the same when I was a kid..BUSBY..😃😀

Apr 17, 2013
Bedworth
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer Excis-
Exp
About 5 years now
Something to be aware of as I didn't think of it and hopefully wrong ....but if travelling with your dog into Europe from the UK when we are allowed, you cant bring meat extract in which will rule out most foods, unless its for health reasons as stated below.

Pet food required for health-related reasonsNo more than 2 kg
  • are intended for the pet accompanying the passenger
  • are shelf-stable (do not require refrigeration)
  • are packaged proprietary brand products for direct sale to the final consumer
  • that the packaging is unbroken unless in current use
We were looking for solutions and saw that Royal Canin is produced in France -

Apr 14, 2013
Tranmere Park
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
Since 2000
Something to be aware of as I didn't think of it and hopefully wrong ....but if travelling with your dog into Europe from the UK when we are allowed, you cant bring meat extract in which will rule out most foods, unless its for health reasons as stated below.

Pet food required for health-related reasonsNo more than 2 kg
  • are intended for the pet accompanying the passenger
  • are shelf-stable (do not require refrigeration)
  • are packaged proprietary brand products for direct sale to the final consumer
  • that the packaging is unbroken unless in current use
Just as a matter of interest I’ve traveled several times by ferry between the UK and Spain and back and the the Uk and France and back and at no time had any one looked to see what food I had in board anywhere!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 28, 2017
Lichfield, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Hi Jenka
Got the dog wormed and papper work done in Sweden for 30eur cost us 10eur in Germany to get the dog back home. I had no checks done at any borders apart from the tunnel back into the UK.
Just saying that Norway is very strict if checked ,i too had dogs done in sweden €50 for2 ,.total agree the tunnel / calais not interested

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
I just can't believe how dogs have managed to achieve the population that exists in the world today because all this special food just wasn't available a few years ago.Just wonder how Tams rescue dogs survived as strays without all this special food
..I notice on my cats food it's say 7 plus years,,?? How do cats survive when ferrel without this information?? Sorry but I just don't understand..BUSBY.

Nov 27, 2016
Notts
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2000
Came through tunnel last weekend, no checks what so ever.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
Friend of mine was thoroughly searched at Santander
Most people by raw meat from pet food suppliers, not from Waitrose, or the foreign equivalent. The prepared pet stuff is usually 80/10/10, supermarket meat won't be. It might be hard to find raw food suppliers in a foreign country. I guess people don't want to be trawling around for hours trying to find a pet shop that supplies raw food and is accessible for large vehicles.
Used to feed my GSD,sheep's heads,lites,or anything cheap,,cat lived on cod heads,,both lived long healthy lives but of course back them allergies had not been invented..😁😄😄 not even for kids
BUSBY.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back