Bring a battery back from the grave (1 Viewer)

Oct 13, 2016
Grays - Essex - UK
Funster No
MH
Mercedes Hymer B680
Exp
Been moho’ing for a time now
Hi fellow funsters, I recently found a battery charger that can (in most cases) bring a battery back from the dead zone, I tried it on my "dead" motor bike battery and it works fine, the battery charger is a "LEICESTERCN" Car Battery Chargers/Maintainer 12V 5A, (you can get a 10amp version) I brought mine from Amazon for £38.95, it checks and goes through several cycles checking and "re-conditioning" the battery, to full charge. I did this to my motor bike battery a week ago and its still holding 12v

OP
OP
bigalw35
Oct 13, 2016
Grays - Essex - UK
Funster No
MH
Mercedes Hymer B680
Exp
Been moho’ing for a time now
Hi Stealaway, I have put a load on it (12v 55w lamp for a couple of hours) and it seems to be functioning OK, not sure whether it would start the bike or not (1200 V4), too cold to go out and try it right now. According to the manual it checks the battery and de-sulsifys if required, before charging

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Euro330

Banned
Aug 16, 2019
Carnoustie
Funster No
MH
Bailey Advance 640
Exp
About 5years
Not true completely!
I am not sure about vehicle batteries, but I watched you tube videos on restoring batteries for say your DeWalt/Bosch Power tools and that size. If the battery is completely dead spark the terminals from another charged battery or battery charger. Apparently the slow charge of just putting them back on the charger isnt enough to bring them back from `sleep mode` but sparking it jolts it back to life, then immediately put back onto charger for a full charge.
Had an old Bosch and twin Dewalt battery pack with the guns I was going to bin, tried it and all revived. Just use them with 2nd/3rd guns for fences/gates and stuff rather than changing drill bits over all the time . Over a year ago and still taking a charge. Might not last forever but had my moneys worth out of them again.
Definately works (see you tube)

Rivermount

Free Member
Dec 3, 2019
West Berkshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2019, a bit before lockdown!
Not true completely!
I am not sure about vehicle batteries, but I watched you tube videos on restoring batteries for say your DeWalt/Bosch Power tools and that size. If the battery is completely dead spark the terminals from another charged battery or battery charger. Apparently the slow charge of just putting them back on the charger isnt enough to bring them back from `sleep mode` but sparking it jolts it back to life, then immediately put back onto charger for a full charge.

Definately works (see you tube)

I tried that trick with the spark but it didn't make the battery last. The rejuvenation, if it happens, is only short lived and depends on exactly what is wrong with the battery. The other thing to remember is that the drill battery is a probably a NiCad or NiMH type, completely different to most motorhome batteries. Completely different chemistry and construction.

In the past you could get Batt Aid tablets for rejuvenating liquid lead acid batteries, they were supposed to remove sulphate deposits from the plates within the battery. They did work, just left the sulphate to short out the bottom of the plates within the battery instead. A new battery was always needed very soon after.

In the end, a new battery will be required. Batteries are made of different constructions and chemistry, some live longer than others but they all have a finite life and will have to be replaced. Anything that suggests it will bring them back to life will be short lived.
Better to spend the money on a good replacement battery.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
Some chargers have a desulphation/recovery phase. These send pulses of higher voltage charge to the battery which is supposed to help dislodge accumulated sulphur. I somehow doubt they can do much to save a duff battery.
PS not to be used on lithium batteries.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 29, 2017
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Champ H621
Exp
15yrs
Used to get a similar resurrection effect with sealed nicads by discharging a large capacitor across them. theory was to dislodge spikes or whiskers between the plates . Basically the cells were knackered and effect was useful but temporary
Mike
Treat with respect hefty chemicals, sealed gases etc . These things can go bang.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back