Brilliant idea or a non-starter? (2 Viewers)

Apr 9, 2013
Ayr
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
From the attached photo you'll see how my very first attempt at parking on a beach ended up, namely with the front wheels buried up to the rims. :roflmto:

It got me thinking about the benefits of four wheel drive in these occasions and as the rear wheels were on firm ground, reversing out would have been easy with RWD.

Given that four wheel drive vans are rare and expensive, I wondered if a couple of caravan motor movers driving the back wheels would be a useful card to have up one's sleeve to play on occasions like these.

Any thoughts?

(Having just seen the price of them I realised that I could pay for a lot of recovery services for the same money! Still, it's the viability of the concept that I'm curious about).

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 241

sean n maggie

Free Member
Apr 29, 2014
leeds
Funster No
MH
autotrail
Exp
they would add a lot of weight to the back axle,,,but lighten the front end a lot ( YOUR WALLET)..:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I wondered if a couple of caravan motor movers driving the back wheels would be a useful card to have up one's sleeve to play on occasions like these.

Pretty good lateral thinking there, I don't know it it would work.

We carry lengths of plastic grid as used to reinforce grass runways. These have got us out of trouble in the past.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 3, 2013
Crowthorne, Berkshire
Funster No
MH
1992 RMB Silver Star 670
Exp
One year. A whole one!
I like your lateral thinking approach.:thumb:

Purely as a means of assistance, your idea has potential.

However, there's the weight issue to consider and also that you're carrying around the devices only for the very occasional useage they'd receive.

But for motorhomers who venture 'off piste' a lot or even for the occasional wet / boggy site, then your idea has merit.

However, would a motor mover have enough torque and speed to work effectively in this type of application? I've no idea, but I see no reason why it wouldn't be possible to create a version that could.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Call me old fashioned, but I would reverse up to the beach front, thereby leaving my front wheels on hard ground.:thumb:

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Ignoring the cost issue I suspect a caravan mover would not have enough grip on the tyre or enough power to pull out a bogged in MH.

Cheaper to reverse onto the beach. :Smile:

voyager 1

Free Member
Oct 25, 2012
Durham Tees valley
Funster No
MH
c class Swift voyager
Exp
30+yrs
I have a couple of bread trays cut down they don`t take up much room but they have come in handy more than once .I always survey the ground first before venturing on to it i put the trays down and park the front wheels on them stops my van sinking into soft ground .

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
It's an idea.. but having had a caravan mover, I doubt it would work.. mine would hardly pull the skin off a rice pudding never mind a 3.5ton motorhome out of the ground.. touring caravans are about 1 - 1.5 ton..

so a non starter from me.. this Dragon won't be investing .. :roflmto:

as an emergency tool, a hand turfer or electric winch would be cheaper and more useful .

Last edited:
OP
OP
timdownieuk
Apr 9, 2013
Ayr
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
It's an idea.. but having had a caravan mover, I doubt it would work.. mine would hardly pull the skin off a rice pudding never mind a 3.5ton motorhome out of the ground.. touring caravans are about 1 - 1.5 ton..

so a non starter from me.. this Dragon won't be investing .. :roflmto:

as an emergency tool, a hand turfer or electric winch would be cheaper and more useful .

Ah ha! The voice of experience. That's what I was hoping for. To be honest, it was the answer I kind of expected but good to know that I don't need to waste my money that way at least.::bigsmile:

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Get one of these!:ROFLMAO:

We saw this van on a beach aire in Southern Brittany a few weeks ago. I was impressed, if any of us got stuck we could call on his 4 wheel drive and front winch to pull us out.

We went for a walk past a nearby campsite, and the van was now parked in there!

Wimp. Fancy having a go anywhere camper and staying on a site with tarmac roads.....

Allan

Attachments

• DSCF1811.jpg
    DSCF1811.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 57

Vincemacca

Free Member
Jan 13, 2014
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
Hi top
Exp
Snow Chains

I carry a set of snow chains to get the van out of the soft stuff. Never used them so I've no idea how good they will be. Has anyone ever tried this ?
Seemed like a good idea and they'd be useful in the snow also !
Vince

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
snow chains are crap on soft sand or sticky mud, as there is nothing to grip. you need to use something to spread the weight of the driven wheels over a larger area. the base of plastic bread trays work very well and can be sourced free if you ask at a bakery. they always have damaged or stained ones that they cant use again:thumb:

Vincemacca

Free Member
Jan 13, 2014
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
Hi top
Exp
Snow Chains

snow chains are crap on soft sand or sticky mud, as there is nothing to grip. you need to use something to spread the weight of the driven wheels over a larger area. the base of plastic bread trays work very well and can be sourced free if you ask at a bakery. they always have damaged or stained ones that they cant use again:thumb:

like the idea ...got the mats but you have to keep moving them. Thought the chains may be good - one day I will give them a go

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I think the motor mover would be a bit too low gearing, too much clutch slipping trying to keep up with it without trying to push against the movers which would just make the front wheels dig in more.

If you want four wheel drive get a RWD twin wheeler with a diff lock:thumb:.

Took ours into a wet field at Whitby last weekend and drove straight in and pitched up no problems, most others came in behind the tractor, hydraulic jacks are a good get you out of the mud card as long as you can find something to chuck under the wheels once you get them in the air.

Martin

oldun

Free Member
Mar 23, 2008
St Neots
Funster No
MH
VW Campervan
Exp
Since 2001
Caravan movers move the caravan at very low speed. If you used them in conjunction with the engine you would have difficulty controlling the speed. of the two devices.

If you used them separately the I cannot imagine that they would provide enough power to move a vehicle with one axle embedded in the soil/sand.

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
snow chains rely on solid ground to get a grip on useless in soft sand and mud will just dig you deeper quicker.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
The rear wheel drive of the Mercedes base vehicle is a great help sometimes. When I was in France in May/June I saw a largish MH with a 4x4 as a toad, only a little Jimny but it would probably help a bit if the MH wasn't too deeply entrenched.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back