Bridgestone tyre warning ... ( serious ! ) (1 Viewer)

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
It seems Bridgestone tyres should not be allowed to get to 0c or lower

http://www.klr650.net/forums/showthread.php?t=110552

Although this is a motorcycle tyre there is absolutely no reason to suppose the same will not apply to their van and car tyres.

Damned scary stuff !!!!!!!

That is shocking damage! I guess the compound is too hard - but it would have to be quite hard on a bike to cope with the temperatures it works under.

Very surprised - even their response wasn't reassuring. If they told him it was a summer tyre, and they recommend winter ones that could cope with the cold - then you could live with that and get winter tyres - but to say none cope is shocking!

Another case of 'We won't say anything if you don't ask'

Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
Michelin `s on mine ,

That is scary, even more so when just on x2 wheels:Eeek:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Deleted User
Not saying anything about the rights and wrongs of this case but I have had Bridgestones on the pickup from new, 60,000 miles on first set and used in very sub zero temps with no problems.Replaced originals with Bridgestones and have been very pleased both with these and when I have used Bridgestones on heavy trucks.

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I should say that up until a few years ago I was a bridgestone man through and through..
It is not so much the damage as that COULD be an odd duff one, or something might have contaminated it etc etc.. we do not know the exact details..

It is the response from the company that is of concern above all else.

They supply bike tyres world wide and I, to this day, recommend the BT 023 for use on the Blackbird ( there really are only two possibles due to the weight and speed ).. to wash their hands and just say it is because the tyre got cold is the main concern.

R C, no mate.. exactly the opposite ! Bike tyres have to be a bit soft compound wise.. which is why on sports bikes they last about 3-4k miles ( rears ) and on tourers probably a max of 20 k ( much past that and they might look ok but I personally would not trust them !!! )

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Not saying anything about the rights and wrongs of this case but I have had Bridgestones on the pickup from new, 60,000 miles on first set and used in very sub zero temps with no problems.Replaced originals with Bridgestones and have been very pleased both with these and when I have used Bridgestones on heavy trucks.

And that shows the difference BIG TIME, between their heavy duty stuff and other tyres they sell

Car and van tyres MIGHT be perfect, might work well ( in fact obviously do work well ! ) in sub zero temperatures, but even so, I am mailing the tech department to confirm the issue relates only to bike tyres ( which, as an aside, are NOT marked with a min or max temperature at all )

SueBaz

Free Member
Feb 20, 2012
Nr Canterbury, Kent
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since February 2012
Hi All

Spoke to Richard Newland at the Motorcycle News newsdesk a little while ago - this problem is a new one on him. (On Tuesday I did a very chill 170 mile trip on my Bridgestone shod Honda so was a bit concerned). Have sent him the link and I have no doubt someone at MCN will be talking to someone at Bridgestone!

Looking at the thread it would seem the poor chap who posted the pictures lives somewhere like Alaska but, whatever, you would want a more supportive response from the manufacturer. However as I have learnt from our dealings with FIAT support sometimes is very slow coming.

Anyway Sue and I are off to Portugal shortly and leaving this record breaking British spring behind us - Honda should be ok down there.......

Regards

Barry

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I have used Bridgestone Dueller AT tyres on a 4x4 and they were fine, did about 50,000 before replacement due to tread wear. The attitude of Bridgestone is shocking though. I am now on General Grabbers.

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Flamin Ell that's scary!!! I ran those on my FJR1300 for years in all temperatures and never had a problem. Bridgestones attitude doesn't surprise me though they're all the bloody same couldn't care less about the small guy.
Had a identical problem with a Sidi bought a pair of their Adventure boots for my ride to China fell apart half way, got them patched up by a guy in Uzbekistan ::bigsmile: Complained to Sidi, their attitude was get stuffed they're not meant for riding around the world, yet that's exactly how they advertise them.
Back to tyres I'm trying out a Heidenau on my 1200 GS with a view to using one on my Alaska trip anyone used one would love some feed back :thumb:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
are the tyres made worldwide or do they all come from the same factory ?

reason i ask is the web site is American....or at least all the posters are, so it may be just the American market which is affected.

Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
I use Bridgestone Exedras on the Wing. I had a disturbing incident a couple of years back when the rear tyre shed some of its tread in the space of a about 50 miles. I had cleaned the bike the day before and hadn't notice anything untoward. Once spotted, I rode the bike to a nearby friends house VERY carefully at about 20mph. On arrival the tyre had lost approx 75% of the tread. It seemed to have de-laminated. I know of other Wing riders who have had their Bridgestones split in the tread grooves for no apparent reason.
Having said that, they are a cracking tyre when they are not failing.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Flamin Ell that's scary!!! I ran those on my FJR1300 for years in all temperatures and never had a problem. Bridgestones attitude doesn't surprise me though they're all the bloody same couldn't care less about the small guy.
Had a identical problem with a Sidi bought a pair of their Adventure boots for my ride to China fell apart half way, got them patched up by a guy in Uzbekistan ::bigsmile: Complained to Sidi, their attitude was get stuffed they're not meant for riding around the world, yet that's exactly how they advertise them.
Back to tyres I'm trying out a Heidenau on my 1200 GS with a view to using one on my Alaska trip anyone used one would love some feed back :thumb:

Would be interested in a report on those beasties.. The 1200 GS is due for another set shortly...

are the tyres made worldwide or do they all come from the same factory ?

reason i ask is the web site is American....or at least all the posters are, so it may be just the American market which is affected.

I think the reason all the answers etc are from septics is simply cos it is a yank forum PJ

The 45's are made in several locations I believe

I use Bridgestone Exedras on the Wing. I had a disturbing incident a couple of years back when the rear tyre shed some of its tread in the space of a about 50 miles. I had cleaned the bike the day before and hadn't notice anything untoward. Once spotted, I rode the bike to a nearby friends house VERY carefully at about 20mph. On arrival the tyre had lost approx 75% of the tread. It seemed to have de-laminated. I know of other Wing riders who have had their Bridgestones split in the tread grooves for no apparent reason.
Having said that, they are a [HI]cracking tyre[/HI] [HI]when they are not failing[/HI].

Nooooooo.. they are a cracking tyre when they fail.. the rest of the time they aint cracked at all :ROFLMAO:

The 45 is certainly a hard wearing tyre.. Not had a lot of experience of them cos they are just not suitable for the sort of bikes I usually ride, but they have been made a long time and are very popular..

As I said, I am not condemning the tyre at all.. We simply do not know what happened to it, I am however condemning BT for SUDDENLY saying the tyres are not suitable for cold weather ( this is completely new and has NEVER been mentioned anywhere before ) and for not suggesting either a solution of indeed at the very least a replacement .. Not that I think chumy will ever buy another pair of them after his present ones are work out !

Scattycat

Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
Mayenne, France
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
Since 2010
If the report is true, I'm surprised at Bridgestone's attitude.
I have always found their motorcycle tyres excellent and must have covered near 80,000, hard ridden, miles on their sports tyres, although I have to say I've never even contemplates the 45's.

If there really is a problem with the structure of the 45's I wouldn't worry about using Bridgestone tyres on the car or van as the compounds and structure of motorcycle tyres are totally different to those used on 4 wheeled vehicles.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Their response is incredibly worrying. If it was my company I would have offered a refund and recommended that the customer doesn't use this particular tyre in his region. A wrongful death suite in the states is going to hurt a company...

I did find the forum thread a bit confusing at first until I realised they were talking about 0F not 0C and below freezing in some of their locations could mean in excess of -20C...

PS: I am a cheap skate and use the cheapest tyres I can find for my van so not too worried about this for me.

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I used to know some of the guys in the tech dept of BT UK and will be trying to contact one of them on Monday to see what he says..

As I said, I used to be an absolute BT fanatic.. I started using them around 1997 when I got my first Blackbird and it had BT57's as OEM ..
They ( BT ) actively supported the UK Blackbird group up until about 2003 or 4 by coming to our national meets and giving away loads of goodies

It was only when I could not get them any more ( the 57's ) and did not really like the 020's that replaced them I changed to another maker

Like others I have personally not had a problem with them at all but after doing a bit of research it looks like the 45's have had an issue before.. but BT kept quiet as to the cause and just supplied a replacement tyre ( this was in a north European country ).. It seems BT USA is a bit more hard nosed and seem not to give a stuff about future sales.. Perhaps the 45's are coming to the end of their production life and they just want to move on ( I have NO idea , but there must be some reason for their very odd stance )

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
The slightest hint of weakness in the good ole US = See ya'll in court
So I would not expect an apology or refund without a fight:thumb:

Now what is really scary
We are definitely heading the same way :Eeek:

And guess what
We all brought it on:Blush:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I realised they were talking about 0F not 0C

Ah !

So any damp penetrating the rubber, frozen solid then I guess just like the roads, cracks start, tiny at first, more damp gets in, freezes, crack gets bigger. It would not take long for that failure if he uses the bike every day and it freezes every night.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back