LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
As per title? Anyone running them? Looking for info, good or bad. I can get a good deal on 4 new ones for the van👍

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
We had them 9 years ago on our Hymer excellent winter tyre but they do keep changing the tread pattern I think.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
WESTY66

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
Anyone???🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️
Will they disintegrate during summer use??

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Anyone???🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️
Will they disintegrate during summer use??
Modern winter tyres are much more tolerant of hot conditions loads of Funsters running winter tyres all year round.

I have Toyo Observe Van I went for the Toyo's as they are one of the few winter tyres without a directional tread pattern so I can swap the spare around. I prefer to buy 5 tyres so I don't have a useless old spare makes more sense to me.

Oct 7, 2011
hereford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
since 1980
I bought 6 wheels from a breakers yard to fit winter tyres to, yet to do it due to lockdown ,but I thought that it would be much easier to swap wheels every season rather than keep swapping tyres.

OP
OP
WESTY66

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
Modern winter tyres are much more tolerant of hot conditions loads of Funsters running winter tyres all year round.

I have Toyo Observe Van I went for the Toyo's as they are one of the few winter tyres without a directional tread pattern so I can swap the spare around. I prefer to buy 5 tyres so I don't have a useless old spare makes more sense to me.
I think they’re more expensive now than when you and Howard H bought them!
Cheapest is £142 a corner now, I can get new Blizzaks 121 rated for £108 a corner fitted🤔🤔

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
I bought 6 wheels from a breakers yard to fit winter tyres to, yet to do it due to lockdown ,but I thought that it would be much easier to swap wheels every season rather than keep swapping tyres.
Most of us running winter tyres just leave them on all year round.

OP
OP
WESTY66

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
Well, I was just about to pull the pin on some blizzaks for all year use, then changed my mind and went for Michelin Cross Climates, yes I know they’re directional and in a perfect world carry 2 spares and all that (I’ve got room and payload to do that) but I just had it in my head they would be better for everyday use, summer tours mostly and the odd week at the xmas markets in Germany (when all this covid crap is under control).
And I’ll probably run them down before they start cracking etc👍

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
Well, I was just about to pull the pin on some blizzaks for all year use, then changed my mind and went for Michelin Cross Climates, yes I know they’re directional and in a perfect world carry 2 spares and all that (I’ve got room and payload to do that) but I just had it in my head they would be better for everyday use, summer tours mostly and the odd week at the xmas markets in Germany (when all this covid crap is under control).
You’ll regret it, M‘s not the same since they closed the UK factory down

OP
OP
WESTY66

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
You’ll regret it, M‘s not the same since they closed the UK factory down
I can try em, if they’re no good I’ll get summat else, there’s not a lot of owt made in UK anymore, I’m glad my Moho wasn’t made here😁😁

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Why not buy a decent tyre?
Some Funsters have had the Cross Climates crack after not much more than a year.

OP
OP
WESTY66

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
Why not buy a decent tyre?
Some Funsters have had the Cross Climates crack after not much more than a year.
Tbh Lenny HB at £100 a corner plus a tenner fitting I thought I’d take a punt, I’ve always run Michelin on cars and sports bikes, I wouldn’t buy the agility summer tyres though purely because of owners complaining of no grip. I will see how you and Howard H get on with the observes and maybe next time......👍

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Tbh Lenny HB at £100 a corner plus a tenner fitting I thought I’d take a punt, I’ve always run Michelin on cars and sports bikes, I wouldn’t buy the agility summer tyres though purely because of owners complaining of no grip. I will see how you and Howard H get on with the observes and maybe next time......👍
When I looked at them they were £170 then realised they were directional and heard about the problems.

OP
OP
WESTY66

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
When I looked at them they were £170 then realised they were directional and heard about the problems.
Got em off a guy on eBay not too far from me eBay number 333973943410 he will take £100 a tyre and combine postage👍 If they’re no good I’ll change em next year. The continental campers on at minute are 8 yrs old and one is 7 yrs old, all cracked inside tread the one on rear 7mm has loads of tread left, two on front have around 4.5mm! The other rear is a 2019 Riken cargo tyre and looks brand new🤷🏼‍♂️

OP
OP
WESTY66

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
Well when fitted I’ll give you a honest review of em, if they’re good I’ll tell y’all, if they’re crap, I’ll tell y’all, and if they crack within 2 years I’ll be bloody telling Michelin, even tho it’ll do no good😁😁 apparently they have guarantees, have any funsters whose tyres have cracked tried claiming new tyres?
EEB78D18-4267-4CA9-9A50-A37C44D279D4.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
WESTY66

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
Well, update on the Michelin’s, got them fitted on Friday afternoon then immediately went out to Mablethorpe 60 in the front 65 in the rears for a starting point, I can’t find a weight table for these tyres🤷🏼‍♂️.
Anyhow got caught in a torrential rainstorm for about 25 miles and I must say I’m impressed with how they shifted the standing water, the grip was very very good, and the ride was more comfortable too (new tyres usually are) so we’ll see how they fare over the next couple of years? I’ll be more than happy to replace them after 3-4 yrs if the tread is down to legal limits. I’d rather have softer tyres and run the tread off than longer lasting tyres and have to replace them cos they’re perished.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back