Brew A Cuppa, I'm saying 'hello'! (1 Viewer)

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Hello – my name is Steve.
I’m not sure where my first post should be – introductions, beginners, solos ???
Probably a section of my own, entitled disjointed rambles! :ROFLMAO:

I’m a singleton, no trauma no drama, just prefer to live my life on my own… yet I see a dog as a faithful companion in my future, probably a retired greyhound!

I’m what you might call a pre-beginner because as yet I have no motorhome, neither any experience of.
I can’t claim to be a camper nor a caravanner… but I have a plan.

I shall be 54 this year & expect to be able to retire in a couple of years time. I love to travel and my job has been ideal as I’ve been lucky enough to travel the world from San Francisco to Sydney – yet I know little of my own country, Britain. I’ve never been to Devon or Cornwall; I’ve never visited the Lake District. My experience of Scotland is limited to Glasgow & a day trip to Edinburgh… you can see where I’m going with this.

I first thought about a Motorhome but I doubted I could afford one & colleagues persuaded me that a caravan was better. I agreed.
I did my research and found a couple of caravans which met my criteria, and which my current car would safely tug. I had a towbar fitted & even went on a caravanning towing course… yet when an endowment matured allowing the financing of said ‘van, I did not buy it – why? I’m already part time so have plenty of time to venture forth. It doesn’t have to wait until I retire.

Then about a couple of months ago, I had a bit of an epiphany.
I’m not sure what came first, reading various “Caravan or Motorhome” threads, or learning that both Tribute & Escape do a range of entry level MH’s at £35k-£40k which for me is achievable.

The idea of the fun being the journey is much more me than the notion of trekking to a spot & setting up base & exploring from there. The idea of travelling light and moving on appeals immensely.
I fancy CL/CS sites or perhaps a bit of Wild, if I’m brave enough, rather than the larger regimented camps. I also fancy dropping in on some of the rallies & get togethers as I pass along.

I’m immensely appreciative of everyone here who takes the time to share their wisdom & experience. I’ve learnt so much already. So thank you one & all.

I would like to know, how one chooses your MH. There are so many variables. The normal law of economics doesn’t seem to apply… a two berth panel conversion campervan can cost more than six berth coachbuilt.
But I’ve learnt that getting this choice right is the most cost effective thing any motorhomer can do.

My list of “must haves” is short and not too helpful.

• A fixed bed – but I don’t have a problem scrambling up ladders to overcabs, nor claustrophobia.
  • A toilet and a shower!
  • Less than 7 meters in length to fit on my driveway
  • Budget £35k to £40k new or used.
  • Probably cab aircon.

So not many to choose from! :Cool:
I did go to the P’Boro (local to me) show last month and got myself totally confused by salesmen telling me I didn’t want this, I did need that.

Only for me (and a dog), yet I’m looking at six berths because of the space – and thinking about my mates who promise to come and ‘visit’.
I’m liking the look of the Tribute T-720… six berth on a Ford, end lounge for err, lounging, separate diner, overcab fixed bed, great layout for visitors, in budget and just about fits on the drive… but where does all your stuff go? The outside table & chairs, the BBQ, but hang on, I want to travel light, get up and go.
At the show I saw a Chausson Flash 04 and was left distinctly unimpressed because there was no lounge area, just a dinette. I didn’t swallow the salesman’s patter, why do you need a lounge? All you’ll be doing in it is driving, eating & sleeping.

Yet over the last couple of weeks, the layout has wormed its way into my affections… compact, 6m with all the benefits that brings. Huge garage for all the clutter I don’t want to be burdened with! What about the lack of lounging space? Well, I’ve realised that when I’m on work trips, in fairly luxurious hotels, I lounge about on the bed. My last hotel had two sofas, a desk, table etc – where did I relax? On the bed!

So perhaps the Flash 04 (or similar) would suit me better? The dinette converts into a single bunk for me should any of the threats of visitations materialise.

Happily I’ve discovered I can rent both layouts – so can try before I decide, even if I just park it on my drive for a week & live in it!
Financially, I have to wait until a second endowment matures before I can invest in one – so plenty of time to work out the contradictions raging in my noodle, and plenty of time to discover more.

It’s exciting innit! ::bigsmile:

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
It’s exciting innit! ::bigsmile:[/QUOTE]

Absolutely Steve, finding the "right van" is all part of the FUN, and thats just the beginning....:roflmto:

Welcome to you...:thumb::thumb:

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Hi Steve well thats some introduction its normally just a hi :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Only thing i would say is look at loads of vans old and new until you get what is right for you. Think hard about what your going to use it for, what i mean is if you plan to go in and out of town you might want a van conversion as easier to find parking space. Think hard about the lay out again where your using it if its only you and the dog you will have loads of choice.

As for the make for that money you will have a good choice you could buy a brand new entry level van ie elddis (which i have) few more also or you could go for a good quality second hand van such as a Hymer.

Have fun making up your mind and feel free to ask any questions.

Gerry

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

con-tiki

Free Member
Oct 18, 2009
Leeds, West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
since 2009
Hi Steve

Welcome to the forum. I am sure you will find the right van for you..so many to choose from. I love my 'vintage' 1991 Swift Kontiki as its so roomy for my 2 Irish setter delinquents and new addition yorkie puppy. As your budget is generous you should have plenty of choice....Good hunting

Shirl

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Hi Steve

I think the van finds you. You just go in and out of as many vans - new and used - as there are motor home dealers but don't speak to any salesman until you are really interested in one. They all have their pros and cons. Fab washroon (who cares how luxurious it looks actually? - is it big enough to shower in without contortions?) but upholstery you couldn't possibly live with - whatever!

I have to say - you can't "chill out" on our luton, there isn't enough headroom to sit upright and OK you could read for 10 minutes but then - we have nowhere to put a watch let alone a book and defo not a mug (or glass!). But we sleep on it and OK yes we make the bed but then just fold it away and firget it. So we have an L shaped lounge with two long settees that we can both recline on because that's what we wanted.

But sooner or later - you will find the van that speaks to you and you think, I like this, I could be happy in this one! so it chooses you ......

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Hi Steve and welcome. Is it Langtoft Nr Driffield N.Yorks, because if so you are in the same village as my brother?

Keep looking, its all part of the fun, and don't rush into anything, particularly on advice from a salesman, after all they want to make a sale and don't really care what you want or need.

Oct 1, 2007
Kirby cross further from londin
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08
hi young man

two ways to look at vans
panel vans fit most roads as they in commercial guise
are used to deliver goods all over the country
some(transit high top) fit through 6ft 6 inch width restrictions

coach built are a bit wider can be difficult on narrow roads and lanes
but a bit more space to lounge more often with a fixed shower and toilet

rob kinnear

Free Member
Nov 29, 2010
Swansea
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
1 year 10 years tugger
Hi Steve

Welcome to the forum. I am sure you will find the right van for you..so many to choose from. I love my 'vintage' 1991 Swift Kontiki as its so roomy for my 2 Irish setter delinquents and new addition yorkie puppy. As your budget is generous you should have plenty of choice....Good hunting

Shirl

I now have a vision of 2 big dogs bouncing around and a puppy chewing !!:thumb:

Hi Steve enjoy looking and enjoy your self with your van, and welcome to the fun. With an intro like that I can not wait for your forum posts.

All the best
Rob

EthnGeoff

Free Member
Jan 13, 2010
County Durham
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
April 2009
Hi Steve.
Take your time and get it right, you've a good budget to play with and it never ceases to amaze me how low the mileage is on a lot of the nearly new models available.
Good Luck.
Geoff.

Sep 28, 2010
Castletownbere West Cork
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
11 years
Welcome Steve

Choosing right is very important. I picked one with a curtain behind the seats so it looks empty whilst parked in the street. This enables me to park in a town in a quiet back street for a night without being disturbed. It is a large tag axel over cab bed model with garage. I had a race van before this same idea. but have found that as long as you can't see inside the van people assume its empty and leave you alone. I carry two small motorbikes inside for the wife and I for local transport where ever we maybe. Seating wise you find you spend a lot of time sitting outside of the van so lounge was not high on my list. As with everything the more you do it the more you learn. At the end of the day I am sure you will enjoy this change in life style.

Good luck

Richard & Mo

Dalek

Free Member
Apr 26, 2010
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Roller Team 600
Exp
18 months
Hi and welcome Steve

Good intro so looking forward to more when you've trawled round the dealerships. You went to P'boro so you know there are lots of layouts etc to chose from, the next step is what works best for you. Good luck

Dale

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Hi Steve, There are lots of solo travellers on here or just in whichever field you choose to park when you want to get away from it all. A dog is a brilliant idea and also a great way to meet new friends too when out walking it.... a real talking point on the way round the camp field.

welcome, and look forward to meeting you at some point in the great out there. I am sure the van will call you to it when you see it ... you will just 'know'.

Joy x

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
Hello Steve :welcome:
I totally agree with Joy in that you will know the m/h that is right for you as soon as you see it:thumb:.

I hope you find it soon and look forward to meeting some day.

Hi Steve, There are lots of solo travellers on here or just in whichever field you choose to park when you want to get away from it all. A dog is a brilliant idea and also a great way to meet new friends too when out walking it.... a real talking point on the way round the camp field.

welcome, and look forward to meeting you at some point in the great out there. I am sure the van will call you to it when you see it ... you will just 'know'.

Joy x

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
Have a look at Jim's reply - 3rd book from the left may help.

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Sold and bought a Caravan
Exp
9 years !!!!
Welcome !! (that's over) !

You MUST, MUST have a rear lounge !!!! When you are wilding up in Scotland or on a remote beach in France or Spain, then you recline with your feet up and a glass of malt to hand looking at the view and just sigh with happiness of it all ! I too am a singleton and this is my view of things ! Unfortunately, I have to wait a further 7 days until I catch the ferry to Le Havre and put my feet up at various places in Normandy, Isle de Oleron, Isle de Normoutier and The marvellous beaches and pine forests of Aquitaine, poor me !!!
:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
You MUST, MUST have a rear lounge !!!! When you are wilding up in Scotland or on a remote beach in France or Spain, then you recline with your feet up and a glass of malt to hand looking at the view and just sigh with happiness of it all ! I too am a singleton and this is my view of things ! Unfortunately, I have to wait a further 7 days until I catch the ferry to Le Havre and put my feet up at various places in Normandy, Isle de Oleron, Isle de Normoutier and The marvellous beaches and pine forests of Aquitaine, poor me !!!
:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Ah well you'll have a frog hanging around during quite all august::bigsmile::winky:.... Hope you'll stand the "croa croa croa" noise.... :roflmto:

OOOPs and welcome from me too BTW

Amicalement

Frankie::bigsmile:::bigsmile::winky:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Langtoftlad

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Thank you all for your warm welcome - and all words of advice are taken onboard...
See, I can do short posts too ::bigsmile:

OP
OP
Langtoftlad

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
but then I do more of them :winky:

I see that Jim's books are Ebooks... can anyone tell me what format they are in?
I have a Sony E-reader.
And can anyone comment on whether they have many illustrations or photographs - the one failing of electronic editions is the limitations in the way they handle pictures.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Hi Steve and welcome.

Langtoft......is that the langtoft near driffield ?

if you plan on a budget that large for a first van do as much research as you can......not many folks get it right first purchase.

i lost £5k after 6 months on my first van due to being green and buying with my head in the sand.....far too small and no lounging area :Doh:

OP
OP
Langtoftlad

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Hi Steve and welcome.
Langtoft......is that the langtoft near driffield ?
if you plan on a budget that large for a first van do as much research as you can......not many folks get it right first purchase.
i lost £5k after 6 months on my first van due to being green and buying with my head in the sand.....far too small and no lounging area :Doh:
I expect to have up to a couple of years research :ROFLMAO: and I'm not against spending less... I just anticipate buying 'new' for the reassurance & reliability issues, warranties & guaranties etc as I'm [STRIKE]not very[/STRIKE] not at all 'handy' or DIY orientated.

My 'Langtoft' is the Lincs one, not the Yorks one!

I'm currently conflicted & contradicted about "lounging".
It's is my #1 activity :roflmto: so that would suggest a lounging area... but for the past quarter of a century the majority of my lounging has been on (hotel) beds (in preference to any sofas provided) so that would suggest a fixed bed layout would be sufficient...

One one hand I have the Chausson Flash 04 layout versus the Tribute T-720's
:shout:. Still plenty of time - and I expect to rent a couple before I commit...

DBSilverfox

Free Member
May 13, 2010
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Since May 2010
Welcome Langtoft - my parents had a pub in Maxey a while back, which is not that far away I think.

You will get so much advice on here it will make your head spin :Smile:, but actually I think if you go to the dealers one will choose you. then stop going to dealers.

I was chosen by mine a year ago, then i made the mistake of looking around when I took it in for service. Another one of the buggers tried to choose me, and I was very tempted!

we were thinking of a fixed bed, but it does eat up a lot of room, so unless you have an aversion to sleeping bags a u-shaped lounge might be a better option, and you can lounge or sleep on one of the sofa's and have a much airier and openhabitation area.

you will know though when you sit in the right one

have fun choosing

David

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back