LIFE MEMBER
Oct 7, 2015
Cirencester
Funster No
MH
None……..!
Exp
Motorhoming since 2015......
I‘ve just bought a ‘baby’ Brennan, BB1 storage device to use in the ‘van - decided against the B2 as too expensive and overkill for taking ‘on the road’ ;) . It comes with 32Gb of storage which I am increasing to 256Gb via Micro SD. The problem is that the card needs to be formatted to fat32 in order for the Brennan to recognise it, but Windows 10 seems not to want to format any cards larger than 32Gb...... I’ve tried a couple of third-party programs which claim to be able to allow W10 to format larger sd cards to fat32, but neither have worked:(. Do any Funsters have any suggestions as to how I can format my larger capacity card to fat32.........?🤞

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
I‘ve just bought a ‘baby’ Brennan, BB1 storage device to use in the ‘van - decided against the B2 as too expensive and overkill for taking ‘on the road’ ;) . It comes with 32Gb of storage which I am increasing to 256Gb via Micro SD. The problem is that the card needs to be formatted to fat32 in order for the Brennan to recognise it, but Windows 10 seems not to want to format any cards larger than 32Gb...... I’ve tried a couple of third-party programs which claim to be able to allow W10 to format larger sd cards to fat32, but neither have worked:(. Do any Funsters have any suggestions as to how I can format my larger capacity card to fat32.........?🤞
You can do it in Windows 10 using Power Shell or Command Prompt but it can take ages.
As another alternative can could use this freeware https://www.aomeitech.com/pa/standard.html

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2019
North East Riviera
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Enough to Survive
Use a Command Promtpt to format your flash drive irrespective of it’s size.

Type cmd in Cortana Search > Right click on Command Prompt > Run as Administrator > Copy and paste below line and replace G with your flash drive disk letter.

format /FS:FAT32 G:

However.....have you read the below link from Brennan?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
Nearly bought a Brennan. I liked them being UK and the idea of a CD being ripped while it played (or just ripper, etc.).
I went for a different option in the end. A rip with Windows "CD Ripper"* to NAS then play :unsure:

EDIT: * - is from dBpoweramp

OP
OP
AndyPK

AndyPK

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 7, 2015
Cirencester
Funster No
MH
None……..!
Exp
Use a Command Promtpt to format your flash drive irrespective of it’s size.

Type cmd in Cortana Search > Right click on Command Prompt > Run as Administrator > Copy and paste below line and replace G with your flash drive disk letter.

format /FS:FAT32 G:

However.....have you read the below link from Brennan?

Yes......followed it to the letter, but got the message ‘Failed’ when trying to ‘create P3’. After reading the BB1 forums, it appears this happens when the sd card is not fat 32, hence my question. (y)

Aug 4, 2019
North East Riviera
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Enough to Survive
Yes......followed it to the letter, but got the message ‘Failed’ when trying to ‘create P3’. After reading the BB1 forums, it appears this happens when the sd card is not fat 32, hence my question. (y)
Ah right so I guess the Brennan doesn’t format the card during the preparation then.

Windows command prompt will save you looking for alternative software then.

68c

Oct 22, 2019
Southampton
Funster No
MH
2001 Pilote 270
Exp
Since 2004
I seem to recall some third party manufacturers do not want to pay Microsoft to use NTFS system so they use the old FAT32 instead. Thats why Windows 10 is not much help as Microsoft want the money. Using the CMD command allows access to the lower level operating system. There are many Apps/Programs that will do what you want, free or paid for. Just Google Format SD Card FAT 32.

OP
OP
AndyPK

AndyPK

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 7, 2015
Cirencester
Funster No
MH
None……..!
Exp
I seem to recall some third party manufacturers do not want to pay Microsoft to use NTFS system so they use the old FAT32 instead. Thats why Windows 10 is not much help as Microsoft want the money. Using the CMD command allows access to the lower level operating system. There are many Apps/Programs that will do what you want, free or paid for. Just Google Format SD Card FAT 32.
‘......Microsoft want the money....’ - surely not?!?:LOL:

Reactions: 68c
OP
OP
AndyPK

AndyPK

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 7, 2015
Cirencester
Funster No
MH
None……..!
Exp
Ok....I used the command prompt
format/FS:FAT32 G: (G is my usb reader with the sd card in it)

....it then told me it was verifying 236.5Gb......took 26 minutes before saying
’The volume is too big for FAT32. Format failed’

B#gger! :(

OP
OP
AndyPK

AndyPK

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 7, 2015
Cirencester
Funster No
MH
None……..!
Exp
No, Brennan does not support exFAT either unfortunately........

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
Ok....I used the command prompt
format/FS:FAT32 G: (G is my usb reader with the sd card in it)

....it then told me it was verifying 236.5Gb......took 26 minutes before saying
’The volume is too big for FAT32. Format failed’

B#gger! :(
Was it a Powershell cmd prompt? Or regular 'DOS like' cmd prompt?

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
I wonder if a partition manager could do this format, as it sees the card as an external drive?

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
having read the brennan uograde pdf, it says it formats the new partition during install

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
I wonder if a partition manager could do this format, as it sees the card as an external drive?
The one mentioned in #2 should do it.

OP
OP
AndyPK

AndyPK

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 7, 2015
Cirencester
Funster No
MH
None……..!
Exp
Ok......thanks for all the advice everybody - I did try all of the tips, but nothing worked on any of the various SD cards I had. So......I found a BB1 o/s page ‘image’ (.png?) on the Brennan website, copied that to the 256Gb SD - and it worked first time! Bl##dy typical! I should’ve looked at the Brennan site more closely - isn’t hindsight a wonderful thing?!? Anyhow, thanks again, and I’m ‘ripping’ away.....!
(anyone want any CDs.....? ;) )

Reactions: 68c
OP
OP
AndyPK

AndyPK

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 7, 2015
Cirencester
Funster No
MH
None……..!
Exp
I would imagine so.......but it’s nice to have more gadgets.........! ;)

martynstar

Free Member
May 23, 2021
Funster No
MH
swift sundance
Ok......thanks for all the advice everybody - I did try all of the tips, but nothing worked on any of the various SD cards I had. So......I found a BB1 o/s page ‘image’ (.png?) on the Brennan website, copied that to the 256Gb SD - and it worked first time! Bl##dy typical! I should’ve looked at the Brennan site more closely - isn’t hindsight a wonderful thing?!? Anyhow, thanks again, and I’m ‘ripping’ away.....!
Can you put the link to that os page as I'm considering doing the same but can't see or find it - Thanks

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
Reading about Brennan many years ago I nearly bought one as I loved the idea of ripping a CD while I played it, etc.
But in researching what it was doing I found a NAS to store media and a PC to rip Compact disks or DVD was many £ cheaper 👀

Aug 17, 2019
Highlands
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
5 years
Bought ourselves the Brennan JB7 about 10 years ago still play it most days on random play brilliant hearing some of the old music we bought year’s ago .🎼

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
Reading about Brennan many years ago I nearly bought one as I loved the idea of ripping a CD while I played it, etc.
But in researching what it was doing I found a NAS to store media and a PC to rip Compact disks or DVD was many £ cheaper 👀
Sorry. 95% of my post was a repeat of an earlier comment.
My solution is a 2TB* sized media player, compatible with SONOS or direct to Amplifier or TV; via optical or HDMI connection.

*- currently, other standard SATA drive capacities are available.
TL;DR Brennan is a convenient CD ripping gadget but anyone with a little effort can create a better cheaper PC based solution for audio & video media.

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
Are yiu aware that if you sell or give away the original medium, be it CD, vinyl or whatever, you are then definitely in breach of the law. I think in the UK, current interpretation of copyright law is that you can take a single copy for your own backup, and are allowed to use the backup instead of the original PROVIDED you retain the original.

Selling the original means you the only have a pirated copy as the purchase has bought the right to use it.

There have been a few prosecutions mainly DJ's and the ilk.

Dec 28, 2021
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet.

Dec 28, 2021
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet.
I had a similar issue trying to format a 64Gb flash memory stick using Windows.
The answer for me was to use the Brennan B2 to format it in Fat32 via the 'C' USB port which it did without problem.
It might work for your SD card if you can find a friend with a BRE

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back