Breakfast ideas (1 Viewer)

Jan 2, 2020
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach
Exp
Since 2015
Soak the porridge oats overnight in Greek natural yoghurt. At breakfast chop an apple and banana and add to the mix and stir well.
This from a man who for years enjoyed his great British fry up.
PS. Helped with my 3 stone weight loss.
I soak the oats in apple juice and add the yogurt when about to eat. Also add chopped fruit of choice.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
We use local produce, so porridge only in Scotland and full English in England.
Croissants and Coffee in France. You can heat croissants in an Omnia, if you need to. The best Espresso can be made in a (Bialetti) stove-top pot (with freshly ground beans).

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
You only need a hob and a fry pan....
Egg, bacon, sausage, mushroom, tomato, hash brown, fried beans and fried bread.
Or.... Scrambled egg on fried bread, omelette, any combination of the above.

Proper breakfast.... Anything less is a snack while breakfast cooks.
Absolutely correct. All you need is a frying pan. Not fried bread though, I like it but dont eat any bread too fattening.

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
When I was a likkle boy, my daddy would set off, on our yearly holiday, in our Austin Ruby Seven for the West Country very early in the morning. When he reach the New Forest, he would stop and cook a full English on two likkle meths stoves, one of which was for the kettle, that took an age to boil on such a cold flame.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhh, sixty years on, I can still smell it. :gum:

May 7, 2014
Winnersh
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Since 2014
We take almond milk, or long life, frozen fresh or tinned fruit and tweak the attached . I know the heading is spelt wrong ?. Eaten out of a wooden bowl with wooden spoon it’s yummy . I make a big pot on a Friday evening and hardly any washing up

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    121.7 KB · Views: 41
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Fresh Beetroot and Fresh Tomato's with a couple of motzo's are fantastic for breakfast.(y)

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2016
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Peugeot Holdsworth
Exp
Since 2016
I did smoked salmon and scrambled eggs for Christmas breakfast. Did have toast with it but rolls of any kind will do. Pilchards on toast or with hot tomatoes ( tomatoes can be cooked or just left in boiling/hot water ) Very nice and different. Happy Chomping x

Bluemanc100

Free Member
Aug 13, 2019
Hawarden near Chester
Funster No
MH
Elddis Majestic 155
Exp
MH Novice (but a seasoned veteran driver)
Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Meusli and porridge is what old people eat for breakfast.

Especially if they put fresh fruit and other funny stuff in it.
Yeah, like bran flakes 'n prunes. :rolleyes:
A Builder's Brew with two sugars and a fag gets me going until basic speech returns.

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
The rest of the breakfast isn't then. :giggle:
Reading up on carbs in the diet makes very interesting reading.
20 years ago the advice was to avoid fat, so low fat products were introduced with fat removed and sugar added for flavour.
The current advice is the body is better equipped to digest fats than it is carbs which it turns to sugar and stores as fat.
So bacon and eggs is ok, just avoid the toast (y)
I've always been a toast or cornflakes man and looking for a decent substitute is tricky as I don't want bacon and eggs every day.
This thread has been useful for other suggestions.

Simon Select

MH Trader
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 18, 2016
Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class Coachbuilt
Exp
25 Years
After recently having a trip to hospital and being very poorly with an infection and a diabetes spike, I have recently started playing with healthy diabetic breakfasts.
During the week I tend to mix it up with
Shredded wheat with almond milk. I use the Stevia granulated sugar substitute which is very nice.
This morning I had wholemeal toast with tinned Mackeral which was awesome!
Sunday, wholemeal toast with fresh ham and duck eggs.
I have started to get up half an hour earlier and actually "Make" breakfast instead of just plain toast with 30 cups of coffee whilst getting ready for work and I look forward to starting the day as well as having time to actually wake up and check Fun/ News.

Nov 22, 2018
South East but not London
Funster No
MH
Rimor Europeo 87
Exp
Five years plus three tugging
I’ve got a grill in my oven, but for those who don’t and still want toast I have used five solutions:

1. Get one of those wire hob toasters from ebay or amazon. I used to have one and as long as you keep turning the bread and don’t wander off, they work.
2. Dry fry slices of bread in a frying pan, but you need to cover otherwise it goes too dry. Turn half way. If you butter it while it's in the pan, this is called Texan toast. No idea why.
3. Get one of those low wattage leccy toasters. I’ve tested this on inverter power. Two slices of bread for two and a half minutes moved the battery needle about a quarter – although the 150w solar panel might have helped.
4. On the BBQ.
5. In the oven on high heat, but this is wasteful of gas.

Wellington

Free Member
May 23, 2018
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compact 138
My MH doesn’t have a grill, either, but I’m trying to remember the last time I used the one at home!

Would would you like to cook? Anything is possible, given enough hassle, but the point at which it is too much hassle is different for everyone!

Mar 30, 2019
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Trigano Tribute
Exp
Since 2017
Cereal with cold milk, bacon on a Sunday and boiled egg through the week washed down with the biggest mug of coffee you can find followed by toast and jam and a vanilla yoghurt, and maybe some fruit juice.

Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
Reading up on carbs in the diet makes very interesting reading.
20 years ago the advice was to avoid fat, so low fat products were introduced with fat removed and sugar added for flavour.
The current advice is the body is better equipped to digest fats than it is carbs which it turns to sugar and stores as fat.
So bacon and eggs is ok, just avoid the toast (y)
I've always been a toast or cornflakes man and looking for a decent substitute is tricky as I don't want bacon and eggs every day.
This thread has been useful for other suggestions.

I’m not diabetic but needed to lose serious weight so googled a variety of diets. The ‘keto’ / Low GI / Diabetic diets had enough research to convince me.
Breakfast is the meal I allow myself carbs. I either have pinhead porridge cooked overnight in the slow oven laced with a few apricot pieces for added fibre or mini shreddies with apricot, (for flavour!). Occasionally I have Bircher muesli which is delicious but leaves me hungry before lunch. Other than that I have 300g of soup at lunch and a meal at night with lots of veg and some protein. I also have 40g natural yoghurt, a small apple, clementine and a Jaffa cake ?.
I have to say, as a weight loss programme it works. I don’t measure blood sugar so can’t advise though I’d be surprised if it didn’t.
Oh and I kickstart my metabolism by eating what I want when in holiday.
So far so good but only half way through my plan.

Bonkers the Dog

Free Member
Nov 9, 2018
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
2 yrs
Yup, me two, a strong coffee and two Marlboro as I stand staring wistfully staring into he middle distance...sometimes scratching me gonads, weather depending.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back