Breakdown woes... (1 Viewer)

Jan 14, 2015
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Ixeo 726G
Exp
since 2014
So, 2010 Fiat 3.0 160, travelling along the M25 cruise control set at 60, glow plug warning light flashes on then off, cruise cuts out, weird, so carry on foot on pedal at 60, no problems for another 20 miles then suddenly the dash starts lighting up like its Christmas, various warning lights flashing on then off, all random, no pattern or reason at all, very pretty but then the engine dies. I switch off then turn the key, she fires up immediately but will only run for about 30 seconds when the engine management light comes on and the engine dies.

Recovered back to work and after several start up, 30 secs (approx.) running then engine dying moments shes back in the warehouse where it sits till I can get someone to come and look or administer the last rites.

Have had a quick tinternet search and all that seems to make sense to me at the moment is 2002 ish there was a known electrical problem with the heater wiring behind the dash wearing through.

I know probably the first call would be to get plugged in to see what if any error codes there are.

Has anyone else suffered from this problem?

Neckender

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004
@vin.egan There’s a big problem with faulty earth straps although they look good they can be badly corroded internally, try a jump lead from the battery negative to the negative post or to engine under the bonnet. Then replace the earth strap.
This is well known on the out and about live forum.

John.

OP
OP
vin.egan
Jan 14, 2015
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Ixeo 726G
Exp
since 2014
Thanks John, will try that tomorrow and let you know how it goes.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
So, 2010 Fiat 3.0 160, travelling along the M25 cruise control set at 60, glow plug warning light flashes on then off, cruise cuts out, weird, so carry on foot on pedal at 60, no problems for another 20 miles then suddenly the dash starts lighting up like its Christmas, various warning lights flashing on then off, all random, no pattern or reason at all, very pretty but then the engine dies. I switch off then turn the key, she fires up immediately but will only run for about 30 seconds when the engine management light comes on and the engine dies.

Recovered back to work and after several start up, 30 secs (approx.) running then engine dying moments shes back in the warehouse where it sits till I can get someone to come and look or administer the last rites.

Have had a quick tinternet search and all that seems to make sense to me at the moment is 2002 ish there was a known electrical problem with the heater wiring behind the dash wearing through.

I know probably the first call would be to get plugged in to see what if any error codes there are.

Has anyone else suffered from this problem?
Do you mean 2002 as in the year? Because totally different vans then to a 2010 wouldn't expect the same issues.

But yours is the same engine I have the 3.0 160 so be interesting to know what caused it.

Just out of curiosity what's your mileage?

OP
OP
vin.egan
Jan 14, 2015
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Ixeo 726G
Exp
since 2014
Do you mean 2002 as in the year? Because totally different vans then to a 2010 wouldn't expect the same issues.

But yours is the same engine I have the 3.0 160 so be interesting to know what caused it.

Just out of curiosity what's your mileage?

yes, 2002, I know they are different but was wondering if they (Fiat) were consistent in their quality.

31000miles.

OP
OP
vin.egan
Jan 14, 2015
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Ixeo 726G
Exp
since 2014
No joy as yet, tried the jump lead, it started, ran for 5 mins, then stopped, waiting for an auto electrician to get back to me, hopefully come out soon. will update as and when.

MannClan

Free Member
Dec 5, 2015
Peterborough
Funster No
MH
coachbuild
Exp
approx 2003
had a similar issue on one of our earlier vans - it turned out to be a short that eventually burnt out the alternator - in Luxembourg !!! - cost quite a bit to sort and ended our holiday

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
On every old car that I ever bought the first thing after plugs points filter and oil was to put a big new earth strap on direct engine to battery and it worked wonders for starting.

OP
OP
vin.egan
Jan 14, 2015
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Ixeo 726G
Exp
since 2014
Update..........

So after being completely let down by the first auto electrician, who basically never got back to me despite a lengthy conversation and assurance he has got the latest equipment to solve any electrical issues apart from using his phone to talk to me when promised.

Auto spark 2 comes round and spends all afternoon plugged in and chasing wires etc. etc. etc. No fault codes showing on his equipment even when it dies suddenly, it`ll start up again no problem then will run for either 30 seconds or 30 minutes. The end of the afternoon ended with it running ok for over 30 mins, so we`ve decided that I`ll maybe risk it in a couple of days (I`m busy with work, gotta pay the repair bill somehow :)) to take it to his workshop (30 mins away) where he can investigate further, he seems to think its an ECU fault. Which to me sounds like a large repair bill :(

will update when there's more news, good or bad.

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
If it's not producing trouble codes unlikely ECU related, could be fuel related, air getting into cracked pipes, blocked filter, petrol in error?

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
We had a 2010 Ducato-based MH (2.3l; 130hp) and when it was quite new it was at a Fiat dealer to get something simple sorted - perhaps one of the front armrests was loose? Anyway, while I was waiting for the van, the service manager said, sorry we need it for a bit longer because there's a problem with the 'earth strap'. Now I've no idea if it was something that Fiat were aware of at the time - I certainly wasn't. Or whether they just spotted there was a problem with the earth on my van? I didn't ask any questions, but another 20 minutes or so and all was sorted.

I hadn't experienced any electrical problems but who knows what might have happened if they hadn't fixed it? Obviously, there was no charge because it was under warranty.

OP
OP
vin.egan
Jan 14, 2015
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Ixeo 726G
Exp
since 2014
update...

got 5 miles to the garage to drop it off when it pretty much gave up the ghost, starts immediately when asked but runs for a matter of seconds before cutting out, so my partner in crime towed me the last 15 miles.

with regards to the fuel, yes I checked, as I filled up 120 miles before I broke down, I even checked the receipt which confirmed I did put diesel in.

have mentioned the earth strap and the EGR valve that has been reported elsewhere, so its just a matter of wait and see now.

I`m away from 1st march for 6 weeks so hopefully it`ll be done by the time I return. further update as and when.

Mr B

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 1, 2015
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065ff Design Edit
Exp
Since 2015.......
Have you ever changed the fuel filter. Same thing happened on our VW sharan.
Start up, do about 30 miles, then die. Wait a while, do it all over again.
Put new fuel filter in, problem sorted. :)

OP
OP
vin.egan
Jan 14, 2015
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Ixeo 726G
Exp
since 2014
yes, it got serviced last October, all done then by my trusted mechanic. Spark is convinced its electrical, its in his hands now so see what transpires.

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
can you tell your mechanic/auto guy to hurry up.... I'm waiting for a conclusion to this thread to see what the problem was... Tel him Haggers says get a move on :rolleyes::rolleyes::D2

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
I`m in the "earthing issue" camp. Had a similar issue with a mid 90`s Astra. Company car. Kept stopping for no reason with the EMG light on. As it was an early type of Can-Bus, once you switched it off, to restart it, the Codes cleared. Young tech at the main dealer said right off, "Earthing", he went round the car cleaning all the earth connections he could find. Never happened again. I bought it in at 120K miles and SWMBO ran it for almost 5 years after that.

OP
OP
vin.egan
Jan 14, 2015
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Ixeo 726G
Exp
since 2014
@PeteH I hope you`re right, I`ve suggested to the spark about the earth etc, we`ll see.

@haganap you may be in for a wait, I`m off on me jollies till 2nd week in april, if he texts me with an update I`ll be sure to put you out of your misery :D

Nov 9, 2015
Shenfield, Essex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
35+ years mainly in VW's
I had a very similar fault on a VW T4. A common problem with the T4's is an earth wire to the ecu goes across the engine and the vibration breaks the wire inside the insulation. My van was recovered to the VW dealership, where I told them about this wire. They replied that they had never heard of it before. After 2 days, I had a call from the VW garage to tell me it was all fixed and it was a faulty relay. I picked the van up, drove home all ok. Next day, same issue again.

I started working through wiring diagrams with info from the VW T4 forum and found that the wiring was ok, what I did find was corrosion on the pins of the plug onto the ecu. I cleaned it up, and no more trouble :D. I hope yours can be found quickly and easily

Cheers

Trevor

OP
OP
vin.egan
Jan 14, 2015
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Ixeo 726G
Exp
since 2014
Its been a long time, for those who remember and hopefully maybe helpful to anyone else in the same position, here's an update...

So I get back from holiday and the MH has been in dock for some 6 weeks now, wiring loom tested, cdi sent away and tested (came back, clean bill of health) so much scratching of heads, internet and garage searching for information and possible causes, fuse box on the body control unit was coming back as a popular option so a new one sourced and replaced and no change.

Our man in the garage was still not convinced about the health of the cdi, so took a leap of faith with a different company and sent mine off to them, the company work their magic and send back a new cdi, the deal being you pay upfront and if alls ok, job done, if not, you send it back they refund 90% of the cost.

New cdi plugged in and unbelievably she lives. Been running now over the past couple of days including a short test drive for 5 hours no problems. He`s taking it for a longer test drive over the weekend ( I suggested he uses it for a short break) and all being well I pick it up Tuesday.

I`ll update again on Tuesday with hopefully better diagnostic information etc

above is just a quick update as I`m away for the holiday weekend and after 3 months, buzzing with the thought of getting the MH back, fingers crossed :)

Ebby

Free Member
Apr 21, 2015
Milton Keynes
Funster No
MH
Rapido 787f
Exp
Since June 2004
Vin.Egan,I might sound a bit thick but what is the cdi and roughly how much was the repair.Thanks

OP
OP
vin.egan
Jan 14, 2015
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Ixeo 726G
Exp
since 2014
Vin.Egan,I might sound a bit thick but what is the cdi and roughly how much was the repair.Thanks

Not thick at all, The cdi is the vehicle brain, sometimes called the ECU, Black Box, it controls everything, other than an engine or gearbox, probably the most expensive part to break.

I don't know the cost yet as I`m not picking it up until Tuesday, I`ll report back then.

Mar 26, 2018
Ormskilrk
Funster No
MH
Swift Voyager 685FB
A CDI unit is a capacitor discharge ignition. What has replaced the distributor in most modern cars. If that fails, or the signal to it, then the engine dies just like disconnecting the centre coil lead on a distributor.
The ECU is the engine control unit and takes all the signals from egr valve, ignition switch, throttle body etc. and then passes the correct signals to the other electronic gubbins......

OP
OP
vin.egan
Jan 14, 2015
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Ixeo 726G
Exp
since 2014
Correct Neil, and due to the new canbus systems the ECU sends and receives signals from just about every electrical device on the vehicle.

been dealing with motorbikes most of my life hence the generic term of cdi being used.

OP
OP
vin.egan
Jan 14, 2015
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Ixeo 726G
Exp
since 2014
Ok, motorhome collected and its back at work, drives great, so fingers crossed it`ll be all ok, not out in it for a few weeks so despite it being fixed I can`t help but being nervous about using it, I suppose that feeling will wear off over time.

While it was apart, there is a weak point behind the left hand headlight that gathers the water from the scuttle panel and this soaks the loom ecu in that area, this has been stripped back too, tested and re-sealed as it was thought originally this could have been where the problem lay.

ECU cost £580 plus the vat, its new, and a bargain compared to Fiat wanting over £900.

A big thanks you and recommendation where its due to Bardney Garage in Bardney, Lincolnshire, LN3 5UD. 015260399157 for fixing the bus and putting up with me, especially Jon for all his hard work.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back