Breakdown woes...

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by vin.egan, Feb 5, 2018.

1. vin.egan

vin.egan Funster

Ratings:
    +142
    So, 2010 Fiat 3.0 160, travelling along the M25 cruise control set at 60, glow plug warning light flashes on then off, cruise cuts out, weird, so carry on foot on pedal at 60, no problems for another 20 miles then suddenly the dash starts lighting up like its Christmas, various warning lights flashing on then off, all random, no pattern or reason at all, very pretty but then the engine dies. I switch off then turn the key, she fires up immediately but will only run for about 30 seconds when the engine management light comes on and the engine dies.

Recovered back to work and after several start up, 30 secs (approx.) running then engine dying moments shes back in the warehouse where it sits till I can get someone to come and look or administer the last rites.

Have had a quick tinternet search and all that seems to make sense to me at the moment is 2002 ish there was a known electrical problem with the heater wiring behind the dash wearing through.

I know probably the first call would be to get plugged in to see what if any error codes there are.

Has anyone else suffered from this problem?

2. Neckender

Neckender Funster

Ratings:
    +3,619
    @vin.egan There’s a big problem with faulty earth straps although they look good they can be badly corroded internally, try a jump lead from the battery negative to the negative post or to engine under the bonnet. Then replace the earth strap.
    This is well known on the out and about live forum.

John.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Nice One! Nice One! x 2
    • Like it Like it x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. vin.egan

vin.egan Funster

Ratings:
    +142
    Thanks John, will try that tomorrow and let you know how it goes.

4. maison

maison Funster

Ratings:
    +7,897
    Please do. We can all learn something from this one.(y)

• Like it Like it x 1
  5. tonyidle

tonyidle Funster

Ratings:
    +6,130
    I'm with @Neckender. Multiple inexplicable electrical faults with some intermittency = a main earth problem.

6. Northernraider

Northernraider Funster

Ratings:
    +8,205
    Do you mean 2002 as in the year? Because totally different vans then to a 2010 wouldn't expect the same issues.

But yours is the same engine I have the 3.0 160 so be interesting to know what caused it.

Just out of curiosity what's your mileage?

7. vin.egan

vin.egan Funster

Ratings:
    +142

yes, 2002, I know they are different but was wondering if they (Fiat) were consistent in their quality.

31000miles.

8. Northernraider

Northernraider Funster

Ratings:
    +8,205
    Thanks

Mine is jist about to turn 50.000 so is good to know

Hopefully it isn't anything serious

9. vin.egan

vin.egan Funster

Ratings:
    +142
    No joy as yet, tried the jump lead, it started, ran for 5 mins, then stopped, waiting for an auto electrician to get back to me, hopefully come out soon. will update as and when.

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. MannClan

MannClan Funster

Ratings:
    +417
    had a similar issue on one of our earlier vans - it turned out to be a short that eventually burnt out the alternator - in Luxembourg !!! - cost quite a bit to sort and ended our holiday

• Useful Useful x 1
  11. GWAYGWAY

GWAYGWAY Funster

Ratings:
    +3,351
    On every old car that I ever bought the first thing after plugs points filter and oil was to put a big new earth strap on direct engine to battery and it worked wonders for starting.

• Like it Like it x 1
  12. vin.egan

vin.egan Funster

Ratings:
    +142
    Update..........

So after being completely let down by the first auto electrician, who basically never got back to me despite a lengthy conversation and assurance he has got the latest equipment to solve any electrical issues apart from using his phone to talk to me when promised.

Auto spark 2 comes round and spends all afternoon plugged in and chasing wires etc. etc. etc. No fault codes showing on his equipment even when it dies suddenly, it`ll start up again no problem then will run for either 30 seconds or 30 minutes. The end of the afternoon ended with it running ok for over 30 mins, so we`ve decided that I`ll maybe risk it in a couple of days (I`m busy with work, gotta pay the repair bill somehow :)) to take it to his workshop (30 mins away) where he can investigate further, he seems to think its an ECU fault. Which to me sounds like a large repair bill :(

will update when there's more news, good or bad.

• Informative Informative x 4
  13. Larby

Larby Funster

Ratings:
    +6,808
    If it's not producing trouble codes unlikely ECU related, could be fuel related, air getting into cracked pipes, blocked filter, petrol in error?

• Useful Useful x 1
  14. mikebeaches

mikebeaches Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +1,724
    We had a 2010 Ducato-based MH (2.3l; 130hp) and when it was quite new it was at a Fiat dealer to get something simple sorted - perhaps one of the front armrests was loose? Anyway, while I was waiting for the van, the service manager said, sorry we need it for a bit longer because there's a problem with the 'earth strap'. Now I've no idea if it was something that Fiat were aware of at the time - I certainly wasn't. Or whether they just spotted there was a problem with the earth on my van? I didn't ask any questions, but another 20 minutes or so and all was sorted.

I hadn't experienced any electrical problems but who knows what might have happened if they hadn't fixed it? Obviously, there was no charge because it was under warranty.

• Like it Like it x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  15. vin.egan

vin.egan Funster

Ratings:
    +142
    update...

got 5 miles to the garage to drop it off when it pretty much gave up the ghost, starts immediately when asked but runs for a matter of seconds before cutting out, so my partner in crime towed me the last 15 miles.

with regards to the fuel, yes I checked, as I filled up 120 miles before I broke down, I even checked the receipt which confirmed I did put diesel in.

have mentioned the earth strap and the EGR valve that has been reported elsewhere, so its just a matter of wait and see now.

I`m away from 1st march for 6 weeks so hopefully it`ll be done by the time I return. further update as and when.

• Informative Informative x 2
  16. Mr B

Mr B Funster

Ratings:
    +1,950
    Have you ever changed the fuel filter. Same thing happened on our VW sharan.
    Start up, do about 30 miles, then die. Wait a while, do it all over again.
    Put new fuel filter in, problem sorted. :)

• Like it Like it x 1
  17. vin.egan

vin.egan Funster

Ratings:
    +142
    yes, it got serviced last October, all done then by my trusted mechanic. Spark is convinced its electrical, its in his hands now so see what transpires.

• Like it Like it x 1
  18. haganap

haganap Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +16,211
    can you tell your mechanic/auto guy to hurry up.... I'm waiting for a conclusion to this thread to see what the problem was... Tel him Haggers says get a move on :rolleyes::rolleyes::D2

• Funny Funny x 3
  19. PeteH

PeteH Funster

Ratings:
    +4,548
    I`m in the "earthing issue" camp. Had a similar issue with a mid 90`s Astra. Company car. Kept stopping for no reason with the EMG light on. As it was an early type of Can-Bus, once you switched it off, to restart it, the Codes cleared. Young tech at the main dealer said right off, "Earthing", he went round the car cleaning all the earth connections he could find. Never happened again. I bought it in at 120K miles and SWMBO ran it for almost 5 years after that.

• Like it Like it x 1
  20. vin.egan

vin.egan Funster

Ratings:
    +142
    @PeteH I hope you`re right, I`ve suggested to the spark about the earth etc, we`ll see.

@haganap you may be in for a wait, I`m off on me jollies till 2nd week in april, if he texts me with an update I`ll be sure to put you out of your misery :D

• Like it Like it x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1