Free Member
Jun 29, 2017
shrewsbury
Funster No
MH
Celtic Rambler 5th Wheel
Exp
2 years
We are planning to travel down to Portugal for 2 months from beginning of January. We have a British Fifth Wheeler Celtic Rambler and Toyota Hilux pickup. We have breakdown recovery through Green Flag Mayday which of course only covers travel in UK. We have been quoted £400 from Red Pennant for European cover which to use seems very high.
Anyone out there with any other suggestions?

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Red pennant is all singing and all dancing ! Talk to your insurance provider and just get them to add European breakdown cover to your policy. It will not cost anything like £400.
I do not want to rain on your parade but if you're thinking about going to Portugal for two months in January, you've picked the worst time of the year to visit and expect to get very wet and cold! Much better of visiting Spain to overwinter.

daved2524

Free Member
Jan 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
5th wheel and a Nissan
Exp
Since April 2016
We are planning to travel down to Portugal for 2 months from beginning of January. We have a British Fifth Wheeler Celtic Rambler and Toyota Hilux pickup. We have breakdown recovery through Green Flag Mayday which of course only covers travel in UK. We have been quoted £400 from Red Pennant for European cover which to use seems very high.
Anyone out there with any other suggestions?

I think only the RAC covers your type of trailer as they garentee to move any size and type of trailer. I would check with Green flag if they can and will move a 5th wheeler if the truck cannot be used. Have you found any good sites to stay at? I am off to Portugal December and going to the Algarve Jan then onto Spain in Feb.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Vary valid point regarding recovery of a fifth wheel trailer.
Due to the length of it it will need a lowloader and if the Hilux is stolen/severely damaged/destroyed there's no way to get the trailer onto a lowloader, or even a tilt/flatbed truck, without the very real possibility of damage to the nose legs..
The hitch pin, I believe, is smaller than a regular HGV pin so it can't be hitched to an HGV tractor unit and towed, then there's the issue with the (presumed) electric trailer brakes.
Worth asking green flag how they would recover it....if they could.
Better to know before its needed rather than when.

Deleted User
Vary valid point regarding recovery of a fifth wheel trailer.
Due to the length of it it will need a lowloader and if the Hilux is stolen/severely damaged/destroyed there's no way to get the trailer onto a lowloader, or even a tilt/flatbed truck, without the very real possibility of damage to the nose legs..
The hitch pin, I believe, is smaller than a regular HGV pin so it can't be hitched to an HGV tractor unit and towed, then there's the issue with the (presumed) electric trailer brakes.
Worth asking green flag how they would recover it....if they could.
Better to know before its needed rather than when.

The hitch pin is exactly the same size as a regular HGV fifth wheel coupling, the only thing that is different is the size of the plate so no problem hitching to a tractor unit, preferably one with a low ride height but the electric brakes would definitely be a problem.

Feb 19, 2017
Leighton Buzzard
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Ten years
In Portugal I believe any breakdown is covered by your normal vehicle insurance, I do know someone who had massive problems after breaking down. He was reporting the incident on I guess an emergency phone, but the operator/authorities had no grasp or understanding of a separate policy, not sure this info is of any use to you but do make sure your properly covered before you go.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back