Breakdown cover (1 Viewer)

Wellington

Free Member
May 23, 2018
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compact 138
I had inclusive breakdown cover with a classic car policy and had occasion to use it.
The person answering my call was not blessed with anything like intelligible English and had no idea at all of basic geography. Couldn't even grasp the fact that I was out in a rural environment and had no roadside landmarks to help direct a breakdown crew and couldn't get a grip of a compass direction from an A road intersection that was 300yds from me.
Doesn't give one much confidence.

I had inclusive breakdown cover with my car once. We were left stranded for hours, despite being a lone woman and child. It was only in the UK (I was still tugging, and my daughter was about 6). They kept saying two hours, and then when I rang up again, it was still two hours. One guy came out, diagnosed the problem but wasn't allowed to tow us to our campsite. Then they sent out someone who didn't have a tow bar. financial, a long lad turned up, who had brought his girlfriend along for the ride, evidently stopped for a meal along they way and had to be taught how to hitch up a caravan. We didn't arrive at our site until 3am, having broken down at 11.

I stump up for the AA now.

Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
I had inclusive breakdown cover with my car once. We were left stranded for hours, despite being a lone woman and child. It was only in the UK (I was still tugging, and my daughter was about 6). They kept saying two hours, and then when I rang up again, it was still two hours. One guy came out, diagnosed the problem but wasn't allowed to tow us to our campsite. Then they sent out someone who didn't have a tow bar. financial, a long lad turned up, who had brought his girlfriend along for the ride, evidently stopped for a meal along they way and had to be taught how to hitch up a caravan. We didn't arrive at our site until 3am, having broken down at 11.

Imho Yea you only get what you pay for. I have been with AA for nearly 40yrs and on the few occasions I needed them everything went smoothly...HOWEVER I have now had to cancel relay with AA because they won't/can't recover over 3.5t so I now have Mayday cover for van but kept basic AA cover for car.

Nov 6, 2016
Bury St Edmunds
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Chieftain
Exp
Since 2015

Green Flag / Mayday, guarantee within 1 hour for lone woman or woman with children, never had to wait more than 2 hours for myself, great service every time. we have personal cover for both of us, any vehicle, even if passenger in someone else's vehicle, no size / weight / age restrictions, (vehicle or driver), driveway cover as well if will not start, Sue even had a battery collected and fitted once when i was at work, and all with a smile, perhaps the bacon sarnie and cups of coffee helped !!
£137.00 for both of us, but need to be a member of CMHC
Joe

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Wellington

Free Member
May 23, 2018
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compact 138
I get all that from the AA, but its more expensive. I'll definitely price up a switch. I pay more for the AA, and then extra for Europe on top. I don't mind paying for good service.

Do you know if you need spare?

Edit - the Green flag website says you can only start European cover from August , because of Covid.

Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
I get all that from the AA, but its more expensive. I'll definitely price up a switch. I pay more for the AA, and then extra for Europe on top. I don't mind paying for good service.

Do you know if you need spare?

Edit - the Green flag website says you can only start European cover from August , because of Covid.
Yes i thot that too...ok as a tugger but when my moho was above 3.5t they not interested in recovery....YES you can still get roadside and home start assistance but NOT if you need recovery. Hence reason I took out Mayday.

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Nationwide flex account is not open to new members. We will soon be looking for breakdown for 18 year old van which seems to be a problem. Does anyone know if Mayday cover would apply to older vehicles or have any other ideas?

Ours, 27 years old, is with Greenflag

Al n Val

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2019
West Yorkshire occasionally
Funster No
MH
Rapido i1090 Distinc
Exp
since 2018
Mayday says NO weight limit AND No length limit. Ok you have to be Caravan Club member....BUT...come on what do you want???
To have your xxx ton and xxx length vehicle recovered like any man with a Nissan Micra. Don't think so.....
For gods sake .. get real..
Splash the cash and get piece of mind.o_O

I want breakdown cover in europe as well like quite a lot of us do and Mayday don't offer it or i'd have it

For gods sake .. get your facts right :unsure:

Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
I want breakdown cover in europe as well like quite a lot of us do and Mayday don't offer it or i'd have it

For gods sake .. get your facts right :unsure:
Ah facts...What about YOU getting your facts right..... I don't see the words European or Cover in any of your threads or indeed the original op's
Oh wait I get it....we are supposed to assume what you meant to say and not what you actually did say.

Al n Val

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2019
Funster No
MH
Rapido i1090 Distinc
Exp
since 2018
Ah facts...What about YOU getting your facts right..... I don't see the words European or Cover in any of your threads or indeed the original op's
Oh wait I get it....we are supposed to assume what you meant to say and not what you actually did say.

i'm only replying to you in this manner as you did me with your callous remarks, if you don't see the words thats fine with me as i don't really give a toss tbh.

with regards to mentioning the word "cover", its been mentioned by myself and the OP's post and quite a few other posters as well, are you blind or something or can you only see the words you want to see

do you feel the need to be a prat all the time or is it just because your behind your keyboard

bye bye

Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
i'm only replying to you in this manner as you did me with your callous remarks, if you don't see the words thats fine with me as i don't really give a toss tbh.

with regards to mentioning the word "cover", its been mentioned by myself and the OP's post and quite a few other posters as well, are you blind or something or can you only see the words you want to see

do you feel the need to be a prat all the time or is it just because your behind your keyboard

bye bye
Oh deary me someone else who does not like to be proved wrong😎😍😎😍😎

Al n Val

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2019
Funster No
MH
Rapido i1090 Distinc
Exp
since 2018
With regards to my original post, i've just done an online quote through Caravan Clubs Red Pennant, as you can see its £791 for a max trip duration of 66 days so once again no good to me when over wintering

Screen Shot 2020-07-10 at 18.03.47.png

if anyone can find me cover which is affordable, and includes European Breakdown and repatriation to home in the UK if necessary for an 8.8mtr 5000kgs motorhome, i'm all ears

Al (y)

Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
With regards to my original post, i've just done an online quote through Caravan Clubs Red Pennant, as you can see its £791 for a max trip duration of 66 days so once again no good to me when over wintering

View attachment 405977

if anyone can find me cover which is affordable, and includes European Breakdown and repatriation to home in the UK if necessary for an 8.8mtr 5000kgs motorhome, i'm all ears

Al (y)
AH...."over wintering".. Another FACT kept from us. Deary dear

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back