Breakdown cover while in europe (1 Viewer)

camperlove

Free Member
Nov 30, 2015
kent
Funster No
MH
fiat ducato mwb
Exp
17 years
Can anyone advise me if it is possible to get breakdown cover when you have already left the UK?
I am in portugal and my breakdown cover is only for 60 days. I don't really want to return to the UK yet. Many thanks

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I would try whoever you are with, because a lot do 90 days, nothing to lose

OP
OP
camperlove

camperlove

Free Member
Nov 30, 2015
kent
Funster No
MH
fiat ducato mwb
Exp
17 years
mine is 90 days in europe but maximum 60 days at a time. I already asked and they said no.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Andy in Lossie

Free Member
Mar 29, 2016
Lossiemouth
Funster No
MH
Burstner A Class
Exp
Done a bit
mine is 90 days in europe but maximum 60 days at a time. I already asked and they said no.

So far, I haven't found anyone that will do a stand alone breakdown cover for more than 92 days (ADAC) in EU. I'm just waiting for an email back from Saga to see if they will do one, as I know that they will include 365 cover if you take their van policy as well (I'm insured through CC but will bear in mind EU breakdown cover for next year!). There are a few others .. Comfort that do the same but won't sell you a stand alone. I didn't think that it would be so difficult to get +90 day breakdown cover for EU :oops:

Andy in Lossie

Free Member
Mar 29, 2016
Lossiemouth
Funster No
MH
Burstner A Class
Exp
Done a bit
Update on the above..... Saga said yes and no, however after a couple of more emails I can confirm that Saga will not do standalone breakdown cover for motorhomes but will do for cars.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Cheapest option will probably be to change your insurance to someone like Comfort their insurance is competitive & breakdown cover is only ÂŁ60. It can all be done on the phone and they will email documents & they won't know you are out of the UK.

Andy in Lossie

Free Member
Mar 29, 2016
Lossiemouth
Funster No
MH
Burstner A Class
Exp
Done a bit
Cheapest option will probably be to change your insurance to someone like Comfort their insurance is competitive & breakdown cover is only ÂŁ60. It can all be done on the phone and they will email documents & they won't know you are out of the UK.
Yup, that's what we have done, Comfort cover up to 9 months in EU

OP
OP
camperlove

camperlove

Free Member
Nov 30, 2015
kent
Funster No
MH
fiat ducato mwb
Exp
17 years
Safeguard are quite good and unlimited European cover
have insured van with safeguard with European breakdown. Got some interesting news. At first they said they could not insure me as I was out of the country. Then they came back saying they can if my van had valid uk mot, and registered in the UK. They e-mailed me the paperwork. On page 22 in book it clearly states, the journey must start and end in the UK during the timeframe of the policy. In a panic I emailed them and pointed out that twice I informed them I was already in portugal, and can they confirm by e-mail that I wasn't mis sold the insurance and they are aware I'm in portugal and that the insurance was valid. They did exactly that.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Glad you got it sorted.
I've never had reason to complain they have always given excellent service over last four years.

OP
OP
camperlove

camperlove

Free Member
Nov 30, 2015
kent
Funster No
MH
fiat ducato mwb
Exp
17 years
Glad you got it sorted.
I've never had reason to complain they have always given excellent service over last four years.
Do you know what that info is on pgs 22 and how come I managed to get the insurance ? Just curious. I should be safe cause I got their e-mail. I have spoken to some people on the aide and they fly to the UK to renew insurance. They haven't read the book, cause it says the journey must start in the uk, and you must leave by ferry or Euro tunnel.others get their family to renew for them then send the paperwork overseas. All sounds risky.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
As long as they have confirmed it in an email I shouldn't worry about it just enjoy the rest of your travels.

OP
OP
camperlove

camperlove

Free Member
Nov 30, 2015
kent
Funster No
MH
fiat ducato mwb
Exp
17 years
As long as they have confirmed it in an email I shouldn't worry about it just enjoy the rest of your travels.
Well yes I got the mail so feel confident. Just sorry for the people who fly back to uk. Another bit of news I only just discovered 30 min ago. My old insurance company lied to me. My insurance runs out on the 25 April, which i was not aware. My breakdown I took out in Dec for ,90 days a year but only ,,60 days a time. I assumed it was valid for a year. When I asked insurance to extend or resell me another new breakdown from the 2 nd may. They told me they can't. And that my breakdown in EU ends 25th April when my policy ends, not the 2 may. I was winded cause I had a week less to travel to the UK. As a matter of fact I would have to drive like a boy racer to get to uk, book dog in vet get ticket , kids shopping list. Trying to find my no claims discount, to send to new insurer, I see my paperwork clearly states , for EU breakdown start date and end date, which is one year from Dec. They lied to me. Well they lost me as a client. Returning on the 2 nd I had known and planned, but was hoping to extend the breakdown, once I made up my mind I could cope solo. Finding out I only covered to 25 April and need to return immediately I had to accept a quote double what I normally pay. Worth it for convenience and peace of mind. Although I paid double for new insurance I have the last laugh. My daughter moved into my house to run my business so I could travel. She frequently told me but you are coming back. You have to come back you know that don't you. I can't do all this travelling to work, neither can each of my other kids. I honestly said I have to. My breakdown is only for 60 days. I will be back in 60 days. Being forced to take out very expensive insurance all year round I thought why do I have to return ? Exactly for what. It cost me a lot to get here ...580 ferry, lost for 5 days tripple petrol. Why now return? All my grown kids I still partly support as parents do. My first working break in ,30 years. What's apped the 3'kids.. Sorry , got my insurance and eu breakdown for the next year. Not sure when I return. You are all welcome to visit, I have tent and air mattresses packed. ..mum you said you would be back by 2 nd may. I said , all of you kids curfew time was 10 PM, you also promised me. What's good for the kids is good for the mother

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Go for it and make the most of your freedom.
Good luck and happy travels

Joe Woods

Trader-Insurance
Apr 20, 2016
Wisbech
Funster No
MH
Just Looking
Exp
I'm a newbie
Can anyone advise me if it is possible to get breakdown cover when you have already left the UK?
I am in portugal and my breakdown cover is only for 60 days. I don't really want to return to the UK yet. Many thanks
It is possible but generally will be bespoke we have our own motor breakdown company, as standard you have to purchase the Cover prior to the departure and this is standard with most companies, Bespoke cover however is always available.

?

Deleted User
I took a car to Italy. Broke down and as it was a lads holiday we phoned the AA back home and joined over the phone. We gave it a few days to allow travel time thinking we will phone to get home on a truck. After drinking the hotel dry we decided to look at the car and managed to fix (ish) it. Drove up to Amsterdam for a few days before driving home having not used the cover. Just phone the AA or RAC or whoever and join.

Andy in Lossie

Free Member
Mar 29, 2016
Lossiemouth
Funster No
MH
Burstner A Class
Exp
Done a bit
Just read the Fiat manual that comes with the new motorhome and apparently we are covered for roadside assistance, repatriation, hotels .... the full malarky!!! for the first 3 years, as long as its serviced properly.

After all that :rolleyes::LOL:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Just read the Fiat manual that comes with the new motorhome and apparently we are covered for roadside assistance, repatriation, hotels .... the full malarky!!! for the first 3 years, as long as its serviced properly.

After all that :rolleyes::LOL:
Silly boy, if you had told us it was a new van we could have told you that and now you are 60 quid out of pocket - that's a lot of wine.:ROFLMAO:

Just to clarify with the Warranty and Fiat Camping Car cover if the van is from a UK converter and the base vehicle was supplied in the UK the cover is 3 years (I think, warranty definitely).
If the vehicle is imported and supplied through official importers because the base vehicle was supplied outside the UK, e.g. Hymer, Knaus, Pilote, Hobby etc., the cover will only be for 2 years same applies to personal imports.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back