Breakdown cover starting is Spain.

Discussion in 'Motorhome Insurance General Discussion' started by MJL, Sep 22, 2018.

1. MJL

MJL Funster

Ratings:
    +32
    Hello all, bit of help please.

I came down to Spain earlier this year and I am returning to the UK in a couple of weeks.
    My Breakdown cover has expired which didn't matter because the M/H has been in storage.

I am struggling to find some cover that starts in Spain, for the journey back.

Anyone got any ideas? Thank you.

2. Welsh girl

Welsh girl Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +3,411
    Ive been searching for that and a few websites ask me to check this box if i have already broken down, not sure why they do that. it must be possible to arrange it as i just had the documents emailed to me.

3. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

Ratings:
    +47,628
    Cant see why it would matter where you are, are you looking to restart the expired policy?

That might be simplest, but as above if you are not broken down cant see what the problem will be, ours would automatically renew while away

4. gus-lopez

gus-lopez Funster

Ratings:
    +30,142
    It doesn't have to start in spain it should be taken out were the MH is registered .

5. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +31,108
    it's generally aimed at car drivers who make up the biggest percentage of members, and they do that as you aren't covered for recovery for the first 24 hours and in some instances no cover at all for 24 hours.
    Think about it... You're hundreds of miles from home and need recovering, that's going to cost hundreds privately so you pay maybe £100 to join a breakdown club just to get recovered immediately..
    OK, some would leave the box unticked and wait the 24 hours, but many won't and would pay privately..
    It's to prevent people taking advantage of the breakdown company when they wouldn't normally bother having cover.

• Like it Like it x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. rosalan

rosalan Funster

Ratings:
    +2,298
    This is possibly a really dull answer.
    What is stopping you phoning your insurance breakdown cover. Does it matter where you are? I have never been asked where I was when ordering cover.

7. Spriddler

Spriddler Funster

Ratings:
    +3,597
    A pal with a breakdown firm told me that many folk seem to rely on the breakdown cover rather than have their vehicle serviced regularly, or at all. Most policies state that in the event of a call-out they may require evidence of regular servicing.