Aug 3, 2019
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto 79R A Class
Exp
10 years with hires, Newbie owner
Yet another question from me.

We're collecting our new bus today. It's a 2012 and has 20,000 miles on the clock. It shouldn't break down but...

Because it's 8m and over 3.5t, and because we want to travel in Europe, a number of options are unavailable - including getting cover through our insurer.

The cheapest I've found so far is RAC at £166. I'm genuinely torn between the peace of mind of knowing we're covered versus self insuring (so having to find a local repairer/garage in the, hopefully unlikely, event that we need one).

I'd be interested in your thoughts - both on my situation and on what you do?

Thanks

Chris

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Look at changing your insurer Comfort cover any size van for £62 a year and there insurance premiums are among the lowest.

Nationwide Flex Plus bank account breakdown cover £13/ month covers Motorhomes up to 7.5t.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Banned
Sep 9, 2019
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
10yrs plus
Look at changing your insurer Comfort cover any size van for £62 a year and there insurance premiums are among the lowest.

Nationwide Flex Plus bank account breakdown cover £13/ month covers Motorhomes up to 7.5t.
I have comfort insurance, I pay 109 Euro a year for my wife and myself for ADAC which includes recovery of my motorhome and also covers me for any car I or my wife are travelling in, full details in the thread above.

FOR INFO, I have JUST contacted them and added my 18yr old daughter to my policy that gives her the full benefits I have and that has cost an additional 25 Euro a year on the family membership, she can keep this benefit until she is 23yrs of age, I have just bought her a new car so once the manufacturers recovery runs out she will be covered, she also has the worldwide rescue emergency repatriation cover.

So if any existing ADAC members want to add kids do it while you can, they are free up until 17yrs of age and after that the first between 18 and 23yrs is 25 Euro extra and any additional between those ages FREE.

They DID confirm that they NO LONGER ACCEPT UK CUSTOMERS and warned that if you let your membership lapse by forgetting to pay then it is immediately cancelled, they suggested I supply them with my SWIFT and IBAN numbers which I did so now it will be auto renewal direct via my bank from now on (y)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
chenderson1965

chenderson1965

Free Member
Aug 3, 2019
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto 79R A Class
Exp
10 years with hires, Newbie owner
I cannot believe anyone would buy a motor home for thousands think about going to Euro land and not take out breakdown insurance for less than £200 ????
Just depends on your assessment of the size of the risk, and your attitude to that risk. Same as for all insurance...

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Thanks jockaneezer, denisejoe and carolyn, seems I have failed to impress by being out of date on my info, hopefully this forum will keep me more updated on things like this now :)
Failed to impress maybe..... Discovered a guaranteed sleeping aid, most definately. :sleep: :D2

Reactions: 596
Upvote 0

Sunnyb

Free Member
Sep 21, 2019
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Hymer Van 572
Exp
Since 2012
We are currently awaiting repatriation of our motor home from France through NW Flexplus. The actual recovery to the garage and getting us home was very good - excellent communication, all paid for and went pretty smoothly. It’s starting to fall down now we are waiting for the van to be brought back home - 2 weeks have gone by and they still haven’t signed off authorisation due to what they say is a backlog at the end of the season. We get no updates so are having to call every couple of days to chase. Once signed off the Ts & Cs day actual repatriation can take up to 3 weeks, which we were prepared for but not this bit waiting for sign off. Popping over to the other thread ‘first time break down abroad’ with this as sounds like that guy has a similar problem - so come on over.

Upvote 0
May 8, 2011
God's county. Helmsley, North Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
IH Tio 630 RL
Exp
Since April 1846 but have always camped.
Yet another question from me.

We're collecting our new bus today. It's a 2012 and has 20,000 miles on the clock. It shouldn't break down but...

Because it's 8m and over 3.5t, and because we want to travel in Europe, a number of options are unavailable - including getting cover through our insurer.

The cheapest I've found so far is RAC at £166. I'm genuinely torn between the peace of mind of knowing we're covered versus self insuring (so having to find a local repairer/garage in the, hopefully unlikely, event that we need one).

I'd be interested in your thoughts - both on my situation and on what you do?

Thanks

Chris
Are you sure that price isn’t for under 3.5t ? It seems awfully cheap to me as I pay a similar amount to the rac and am under 3.3t

Upvote 0

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Are you sure that price isn’t for under 3.5t ? It seems awfully cheap to me as I pay a similar amount to the rac and am under 3.3t
We just renewed yesterday, RAC £182 ish but had to knock them down from £236 ish, they just try it on (y)

Martin

Upvote 0
Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
When buying a brand new van, insurance companies like ours (Comfort) seem to know you have Fiat Camper Assist in the first 2 years, and if our example is anything to go by actually stated " we wont quote you for EU breakdown cover as you will have Fiat Camper assist"
Renewed our insurance yesterday as it happens, with Comfort for the 3rd year, this time with full breakdown cover for EU and UK with home assist.
I wont post the whole policy as reading small print and T&C,s will bore you all to death, but I am well impressed with the level of cover offered therein. I did ask about repatriation of our 7.4mtr van due to break down or driver illness,also courtesy car for ongoing journey or return home, all were covered.
When I asked the superb customer service guy on the phone about the breakdown cover which is referred to as Comfort MC breakdown cover, he confirmed it is with The AA in the UK and they sub out the job to another large company in the EU for all eventualities.

We were at the Bath show a couple of weeks ago, and were approach by a guy on the AA stand with their new MH breakdown cover policy called "Arrival" he quoted us £90 PA or cheaper via the CMC, and yes they answered all my questions about full breakdown in the EU with large vans "as this is what we set our policy up for Sir"

We have just renewed our MH cover again with Comfort, but this time with full Comfort MC Breakdown cover, The premium was very reasonable as usual, so they get my vote again this year.(y):)

But as for Adrian Flux and all their time-wasting telephone referrals, what a bunch of crap they turned out to be:swear::banghead:
Never ever believe it when they say " right then Sir, we have all your details to quote, do you want me to pass them onto another subsidiary like Drive Wise?", then another broker will call, then another....and each time none of your details have NOT been "carried over" and you will have to endure the same questions each time,DOB, Post Code, Van Make & model, for a still crappy price at the end of the day.:swear::banghead:
I eventually put the down having wasted enough time, and have now set up a junk rule on my e-mail account. For "QuoteZone":swear:
I suppose I will get all the usual crap calls one year from now also.

But Comfort have my vote, great call centre, and as usual best price for our MH, without the need to even try and "persuade" them.
Les

Upvote 0

Rolyan

Free Member
Jan 15, 2018
Funster No
I’ve got RAC, to cover 2 cars and Arrival for the van. It covers me and my partner in any vehicle (we’ve a car each) and it covers at home, recovery, repair, onward travel, hire car/accommodation etc etc etc. Not Europe, but at £179 I’m happy with that. Having had rubbish service from an insurers product in the past (none that are mentioned on here) and also wanting to avoid contractors, I’m sticking with RAC.

Upvote 0

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Where we take our motorhome for service the owner who also is a good mechanic never had breakdown cover for his motorhome as he could do anything on the mh 5 years age in the south of France had a major breakdown needed engine out so had to get recovered at a cost of over £5000 he now has breakdown cover.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back