Breakdown Cover In Mainland Europe (1 Viewer)

Tim120

Free Member
Nov 14, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 625
Exp
New to owning, have hired once.
Hi All,
Please be gentle as I'm sure this must have been asked but despite looking I can't find it.
I've just been reading one thread and it mentioned breakdowns in France (may apply elsewhere too) It was actually an insurance thread and sounds as if the cover someone had did not apply so they had to pay to be recovered.
I think A roads and motorways where only police approved recovery is allowed.
I know... read the policy ask questions etc.
Is there a preferred one that covers UK and Europe for MH's?
Any experiences good or bad?
I have one bundled in with a bank account (Nationwide) will look into the small print on that.

Feb 13, 2013
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Rapido 881F
Exp
Since 2015
You should be fine with Nationwide as long as you are less than 7.5 tonnes and 8m in length I think.

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
The Nationwide cover is very good covers Europe vans up to 7.5t so you don't need anything else unless traveling further afield.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Tim120

Tim120

Free Member
Nov 14, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 625
Exp
Thanks Guys.
Nothing to do with MH's but I had a policy from a company a few years back, wish I could think of their name as it was brilliant if it comes to me I will post it, covered a car and had the need to use it, I know there is a lot of luck with this stuff but a recovery vehicle turned up after about 45mins and brought me and wife home, about three miles, more or less told me the problem, clutch failure, which I kinda guessed, had to pay the guy with a credit card, next day enquired if they would take me to have it fixed... yes... roughly 45mins later car on way to be repaired, again payment by card.
Kept receipts and forwarded as required about five days later the cheque arrived.
About a quarter of the price of the big 2.
The point being I guess Nationwide will reimburse who ever does the recovery as they do not run (as far as I am aware) a breakdown service.
Havn't got her yet, next March, I'm OK on weight but 8.06 on length that is a massive 2.36 inches too long.
Never seen a breakdown being measured :)

Upvote 0
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Thanks Guys.

Havn't got her yet, next March, I'm OK on weight but 8.06 on length that is a massive 2.36 inches too long.
Never seen a breakdown being measured :)

Keep quiet or lie, tell anybody that does ask 7.99m (y)

Upvote 0

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Most will give you a car but not much good in a foreign country they assume that they give you a car and you can continue your holiday or they stick you in a cheap hotel,check what allowance is made for hotel accommodation ours was £35 per person with two of you £70 doesn't get a posh hotel

Joe

Upvote 0
Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Most will give you a car but not much good in a foreign country they assume that they give you a car and you can continue your holiday or they stick you in a cheap hotel,check what allowance is made for hotel accommodation ours was £35 per person with two of you £70 doesn't get a posh hotel

Joe

ADAC paid me what it cost and disagree,,you can get an excellent hotel in Europe for less than £70 per day..Premier Class in France about 50 euros a night for B&B and good accommodation,,BUSBY.

Upvote 0

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Also the B&B chain, plus others around the same. Luxury they ain't but spotlessly clean all ensuite and more than adequate. Always near a 'chain' eatery - Courtepaille etc. Kyriads are better with proper restaurants but there again, nearly double the price of a B&B.

The prices are 'bed only' - you always need to pay an additional price for breakfast at French hotels, unless it's a privately owned and run 'Pension' or 'Ferme Auberge' type place.

Upvote 0
Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
Also the B&B chain, plus others around the same. Luxury they ain't but spotlessly clean all ensuite and more than adequate. Always near a 'chain' eatery - Courtepaille etc. Kyriads are better with proper restaurants but there again, nearly double the price of a B&B.

The prices are 'bed only' - you always need to pay an additional price for breakfast at French hotels, unless it's a privately owned and run 'Pension' or 'Ferme Auberge' type place.
But as i said its usually about 50 euros per couple with a i think good breakfast,,BUSBY,,

Upvote 0
Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
The hotel we were in in Rennes was €69 a night €8 each for breakfast and that wasn't high season
Well you weren't that much out of pocket then,,85 euros for the night and they give you £70,,depending on exchange rate its not going to break the bank is it,,BUSBY:D:D

Upvote 0

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
We use ADAC too ... but if you break down on the French motorway system it doesn't matter who you're with .. only French police approved recovery can collect you

Upvote 0

Clickem

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
7 years
Don't think nationwide although free is very good if you read the terms and conditions

Joe

Like Rapido925M, we have just started Nationwide Breakdown cover, using the Flex Plus account and would like to know what aspect(s) is/are "not very good"

By comparison with the above it pays up to £60/person/night, up to £500 limit

Upvote 0

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Busby - that's not all the costs involved - you've also got to use restaurants to buy lunch and dinner as well. If you do this anyway it wouldn't be a problem but we generally eat in the van and maybe eat out for lunch no more than once a week, so cost far more than we'd budgeted for. We were in a hotel for 3 days before the garage decided we needed a new engine and we flew home for nearly 6 weeks before being told it was ready but when we got back we were told it wasn't ready and would be another week so ended up in yet another hotel for that week!

Rapido925M & Clickem - having read the booklet through again I can't find the bit I didn't think was particularly good! The only thing I'm a bit iffy about is that if you're holidaying in the UK and going to one place and then coming straight home after it won't cover you to go to your destination so you can have your holiday and then pick you up at the end to take the MH to be repaired which is possible with some other breakdown schemes.

Joe

Upvote 0
Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
Busby - that's not all the costs involved - you've also got to use restaurants to buy lunch and dinner as well. If you do this anyway it wouldn't be a problem but we generally eat in the van and maybe eat out for lunch no more than once a week, so cost far more than we'd budgeted for. We were in a hotel for 3 days before the garage decided we needed a new engine and we flew home for nearly 6 weeks before being told it was ready but when we got back we were told it wasn't ready and would be another week so ended up in yet another hotel for that week!

Rapido925M & Clickem - having read the booklet through again I can't find the bit I didn't think was particularly good! The only thing I'm a bit iffy about is that if you're holidaying in the UK and going to one place and then coming straight home after it won't cover you to go to your destination so you can have your holiday and then pick you up at the end to take the MH to be repaired which is possible with some other breakdown schemes.

Joe

Well you can get that service with the AA but it costs,,you get what you pay for,.As long as i get recovered,,they provide a roof over my head and car hire i am a happy bunny,,BUSBY.:):)

Upvote 0

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
The only thing I'm a bit iffy about is that if you're holidaying in the UK and going to one place and then coming straight home after it won't cover you to go to your destination so you can have your holiday and then pick you up at the end to take the MH to be repaired which is possible with some other breakdown schemes.

Joe

It is certainly possible with the Red Pennant service offered by the Caravan Club. Daughter has put theirs on it and also added the OH's car, since they can if they want to use his car to tow their van anyway, and he got a reduction on his motor insurance by excluding breakdown - you do have to do all your sums carefully - but as always you pays yer money and takes yer choice and caveat emptor always still apply to such things.

Upvote 0

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Well you can get that service with the AA but it costs,,you get what you pay for,.As long as i get recovered,,they provide a roof over my head and car hire i am a happy bunny,,BUSBY.:):)
Our is through the dark side's insurance co; said we could have either a hire car for 2 weeks or a hotel. A car isn't much good if you haven't got a roof over your head!
Joe

Upvote 0
Dec 5, 2016
Romney Marsh in Kent
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
I use ADAC covers all of Europe as well as Morocco. Had to call on them in Morocco and they did what they say they do on the tin that's cover you when you need them. Cover is for your wife as well and any size motorhome and age.
I understand when you need them they send the AA in UK.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Tim120

Tim120

Free Member
Nov 14, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 625
Exp
Thanks all for the help much appreciated.
We have yet to get our MH but hopefully a bit of forward planning should make life easier.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back