Breakdown cover for RV's (1 Viewer)

F

foggyparrot

Deleted User
After a squillion years with the AA, we have just ditched them in favour of Green Flag Mayday cover through theCaravan Club!

In our previous thread about the blowout, you mayrecall that the AA were most unhelpful.

Green flag have provided us with fully comprehensive breakdown and recovery on ALL the vehicles we either own or are travelling in for the princely sum of £117.00.

It may seem a lot, but we were only paying £18.00 less for AA cover (which didn't include getting you to the site you may be holidaying at and THEN getting you home after your holiday), but it covers you for any weight or size of vehicle irrespective of the problem and including recovery.

The whole package seems very attractive so now it just remains to be seen whether or not they can deliver.

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
I have euro over on the RV with Towergate Baker, but the cars and bikes are with CSMA premier Breakdown cover which cost £139 for any vehicle I am in or on:roflmto:wonder if it covers RV?

The I have RAC cover on the Kia as part of it's warranty package.

Blooming confusing and wished it could all be done on one policy.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
After a squillion years with the AA, we have just ditched them in favour of Green Flag Mayday cover through theCaravan Club!

In our previous thread about the blowout, you mayrecall that the AA were most unhelpful.

Green flag have provided us with fully comprehensive breakdown and recovery on ALL the vehicles we either own or are travelling in for the princely sum of £117.00.

It may seem a lot, but we were only paying £18.00 less for AA cover (which didn't include getting you to the site you may be holidaying at and THEN getting you home after your holiday), but it covers you for any weight or size of vehicle irrespective of the problem and including recovery.

The whole package seems very attractive so now it just remains to be seen whether or not they can deliver.

It would appear that only the UK is covered, and a bit of the small print concerns me,ie Minor breakdowns are not covered and if the green flag man can get you going, you pay for call out,labour and parts, the latter two is fair, but call out fees can be extortionate, another little earner for these guys is to charge you extra for pulling you back onto the hard shoulder before recovery can be carried out, this charge is applied if you(in the interest of safety) put two wheels onto a grass verge to give more clearance for traffic:Angry:
check out their definition of minor breakdown
Geo

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
I contacted CSMA about my premier cover plus and they cover a motorehome up to 8 mtrs only with nought about weight.

I'll stick to insurance ad on style cover like Towergate Baker does:winky:

E

Enodreven

Deleted User
Hi,
The motorhome breakdown cover is included within the Safeguard Insurance I don't think we had a choice.

The car breakdown cover is with The Guild Of Experienced Motorists [GEM] which costs around £60/year the only down side if you can call it that ?? is we chose to pay the fee and then reclaim it back. When I have had to do this the cheque has always been by return well before I've had to pay the credit card, I have put a link to their web site, you also get other benefits from becoming a member

Link Removed

Hope this helps
Brian

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
I've just joined the C&CC to benefit from their excellent breakdown service which is provided by the RAC which covers any length/height of motorhome ..:Smile:
Me too Jim I think its one of the better ones, and includes EU cover
Safeguard is i belive with the AA and sounds very simular
Geo

F

flanok

Deleted User
Breakdown Recovery

The difference between the AA and Green Flag is the AA has mainly dedicated breadown recovey patrolmen and Green Flag is a network of garages and recovery vehicles.

I have been with Green flag for while and found the engineers that called out (only needed them once, were very good). But how good, depends on where you breakdown and who answers your call as every call out in different areas is a different business with different work ethics.

They will expect to be paid off Green Flag for every call, so they may hold you to the letter of your agreement. But as I said, I have chosen Green Flag and was happy with their call out.

Mark

Last edited by a moderator:
H

Hugh Jardon

Deleted User
I've just joined the C&CC to benefit from their excellent breakdown service which is provided by the RAC which covers any length/height of motorhome ..:Smile:

yep i did that a year ago as well as it is the only way to get a larger motorhome covered as the rac wont do it directly and aa dont off this type of service

the additional benefit was also

a bearing went on my trailer and normal rac cover does not cover the trailer breaking down, only the vehicle, but with this cover using the c&cc i managed to get my fairly large 8.5m trailer home under a commercial recovery

one bit of advise thou, when you phone up the rac in such circumstances argue with them the trailer is covered by the c&cc membership as it does not automatically pop up on their computers

to cut a long story short rac goofed it up until i argued with the idiot on the phone, and then i complained and got 85 quid for my trouble

bargain :thumb:

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
R A C Cover?

Hi

The renewal for the RAC cover (through the C&CC) came up and I asked to extend to cover Europe (Off to the Med; in Jan for some R & R) They state that the COVER period is (90) days in any one trip. Has anyone come across this? and how do you extend it?

The cover itself is First class, I`ve used it twice, once from France when they recovered my Trailer AND the car on it!! Home to Yorkshire when the Tow Bracket on the R-V Failed. The second when the Gearbox (G-M) broke an output shaft and had to be recovered to repairer (that gearbox WAS 6k expensive!!) but the recovery was OK, if somewhat protracted as they sent 3 vehicles Before finally getting a low loader (Pusher with Big overhang). The recoverer damaged the Exhaust getting it off. and I had protracted series of letter/e-mails with them before they finally "stumped up", nearly a year later, but Hell I still got it.

I would suggest that if you have a big overhang try and get them to load "Stern" First.??

Regards

Pete

J

johnboyflash

Deleted User
American RV Breakdown Cover

As a newbie to this site and a newbie to RV's this site is great!

i noticed this thread and can add some experinace that a freind had that made my choice easier.

My friends rig is bigger than mine at i guess 41 foot, as i dont want to be sued i will just say that he joined a club thinking that he would then join the breakdown scheme of that club and get cheap RV cover. This was all fine till the day the transmission went down and renered the vehicle undrivable.

He called the club and they came out with a small van and looked at it and as he says, didnt say it, but you could see what they meant was what the hell do you think i can do with this!

He asked to be recovered, I think it was Teebay services back to Warwick where he lives. after many phone calls between the breakdown guy and who ever they talk to the answer was we only cover up to 23 foot, over that you are a commercial vehicle and we cant recover you!

To cut a very long story short he was referd to the association of vehicle recovery operators AVRO who hooked him up with their own recovery club Nationwide Breakdown who covered him straight away for full European cover for £120 and once home he took it up with the original club who confirmed what the breakdown chap had said, yes we do cover motorhomes but only to 23 foot.

Needles to say when we collected our new RV a month ago we signed up straight away as some of the quotes he had before finding Nationwide were in the £,000s.

Well i hope i will never need it but if it helps thats a warning to check first i suppose and not chance it? i dont know how to put a link in but i used google and just typed american rv breakdown cover and they were the no1 all done on line none of the quote nonsence that you get with some just give your details and pay simple as that.

Happy Cruising,

Jo & Ro :thumb:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
i dont know how to put a link in but i used google and just typed american rv breakdown cover and they were the no1 all done on line none of the quote nonsence that you get with some just give your details and pay simple as that.

Happy Cruising,

Thanks for the very useful information.. :thumb:

This is the link ..
Link Removed

safe travels

Jim

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
I agree
Check and double check, the trouble with on line applications is they make an awful lot of presumptions.
Posted below is a copy and paste from one insurers web site
I have contacted them many time to point out the misleading statement, but they wont change it, you read their web site, call and say do you do RVs, there reply is, "yes sir we have an awful lot of RV customers" most I assume based on what they have read this company has a recovery limit of 3.5 TONS not as their web would suggest

Cherished Salvage return clause available on all vehicles over 20 years old (free of charge)
Breakdown & Recovery Service All policies include vehicle recovery on a European wide basis
Agreed Value policies issued without additional cost (according to age of vehicle)
Instalments spread over 10 months by direct debt facilities
Unlimited Windscreen Cover Nationwide replacement windscreen service (subject to £50 excess)
Uninsured Losses - Legal Assistance Cover up to £50,000
Personal Accident Cover up to £5,000 while travelling in any vehicle
Rallies Cover Automatic cover included for club rallies (excluding racing, pacemaking and speed testing)
Dismantled Parts Cover

J

johnboyflash

Deleted User
My online activities leave a lot to be desired i can tell you! but i manged the Nationwide which i think was about ten ish questions that i could manage!

i went on the green flag one when i was looking at car cover well over a year ago now so may of changed but it was a nightime i think i even gave my inside leg measurement!

makes you wonder if the info is needed or just to fill some database with more of your details?

But yes mate that was my point, check, check and check again because steve nearly got well burnt when his rig transmission went south. makes you wonder how many others have joined for the same reason to then get very disapointed. still you pays your money and takes your chances as they say!

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi from their terms and conditions they define a vehicle as:

a car, motorcycle, motorhome or light commercial vehicle less than 3.5 tonnes which is registered with Nationwide Breakdown.

So doesn't appear much good to most of us.

Olley

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
it would be usefull if someone with a 5er that is with arrival could verify if they will take a 5er as when i was with them i was told only if it uses a standard 50mm ball.

J

johnboyflash

Deleted User
Hi there, for a moment i was paniking! after i signed up i was emailed my policy details etc i have just checked and i have a definition of: motorhome or commercial vehicle in excess of 23 feet in lengh which is registered with Nationwide Breakdown.

i think the website details must be generic as i sure had a stomach turning moment! i also know it must be true as my friend has had a recovery from them and they turned up with a huge lorry and towed it home without a quible.

panic over! although they should say they are generic T & C's i suppose but covering a wide range of vehicles i dont know how that works.

Jo & Ro

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Hi from their terms and conditions they define a vehicle as:

a car, motorcycle, motorhome or light commercial vehicle less than 3.5 tonnes which is registered with Nationwide Breakdown.

So doesn't appear much good to most of us.

Olley

Hi Olley , it does indeed say that, but they offer cover for motorhomes.. over 23ft

but to get clarification, I have emailed and asked for a quote for an American RV, 11mts , 8.25ton with both UK and EU cover

lets see what they say ..

Jim

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
but to get clarification, I have emailed and asked for a quote for an American RV, 11mts , 8.25ton with both UK and EU cover

Jim

8.25tonne?? have you been on a diet Jim?? :ROFLMAO:

Olley

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
to get clarification, I have emailed and asked for a quote for an American RV, 11mts , 8.25ton with both UK and EU cover

Jim

Reply from Nationwide

Hello Mr. Allen,
Thank you very much for your enquiry for our Motorhome Breakdown Insurance.
Yes I can confirm that we cover any size or weight of American RV.
As to cover costs, we offer a very simple pricing policy for all our Motorhome policies and cover for over 23’ or 7 mtrs starts at £63 per year for our Bronze policy and £116.55 for our platinum policy that includes full European cover.

Once again thank you very much for your inquiry and we look forward to being of assistance to you.

Many thanks,
Victoria Driscoll

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Pricing and vans over 15years

what about the age of the RV, folks?
John

More info and pricing for vans over 23ft , any weight .... from Nationwide

For your vehicle the price range is from £63.00 to £116.55 depending on the level of cover that you require. These are the actual prices you pay.

The prices for the grades are:

Bronze Roadside & Free recovery up to 20 miles. £63.00 per annum

Silver Roadside & UK National recovery. £75.60 per annum

Gold Roadside, Home start, UK National recovery. £90.30 per annum

Platinum Roadside, Home start, UK National recovery & European recovery. £116.55 per annum

The above rates cover any make or size of Motorhome over 23’ or 7 mtrs, there is an age limit of 15 years old but even at that stage we can still provide assistance via our PAYG or Ocius schemes. The above rates also cover the use of a trailer or caravan up to 23’ or 7 mtrs in addition to the Motorhome as long as the trailer or caravan was being towed at the time of the breakdown.

In addition to the above rates you can also add sickness, accident & vandalism cover for an extra £25.00.

This means that if the driver becomes ill and unable to drive whilst in the UK or in Europe in the case of Platinum cover, then we will recover the vehicle back for you.

You are covered if your vehicle is involved in an accident and has to be repatriated or if your vehicle is vandalised again any repatriation is covered be that in the UK or in the case of Platinum cover in Europe.

Should your vehicle be older than 15 years we have our PAYG scheme which for a £5 fee for the first vehicle and £2 for each subsequent vehicle we will provide cover as per our insured schemes only with this service it must be paid for on use. Therefore this scheme can be very beneficial to owners with very well maintained vehicles who just want the assurance that if anything did ever go wrong they have access to over 20,000 recovery operates in the UK alone 24 hours per day.

PAYG automatically gives you 10% off of our retail tariff which is our trade rate. All our prices are always publically available online and is only changed once a year. We pride ourselves on being totally transparent, we do not add percentages to invoices and any other such behaviour. What you see is what you pay.

Last edited:

Bigrog98

Free Member
Oct 24, 2007
Midlands
Funster No
MH
American RV
Exp
7yrs
Re Recovery of ARVs

I have for the last 3 years used Britannia Rescue. I am told they recover commercial vehicles from all over the Continent as well as U.K.

I have used them only once when the auto gear box failed, they were so good I wrote to the Head Office complimenting them on such good and professional service.

We waited 1/2 hour, communications with the company who rang back with up dates on ETA were reassuring. Recovery vehicle was bang on time, right vehicle first time with a driver who new about ARVs with long overhangs and could not do enough for us. We left him with a tip and two bottles of Bordeaux. And it only costs me £124.00 per year for full continental cover and peace of mind.

BIGrog98http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/images/smilies/thumb.gif

nahnotme

Free Member
Sep 23, 2007
Funster No
I have for the last 3 years used Britannia Rescue. I am told they recover commercial vehicles from all over the Continent as well as U.K.

I have used them only once when the auto gear box failed, they were so good I wrote to the Head Office complimenting them on such good and professional service.

We waited 1/2 hour, communications with the company who rang back with up dates on ETA were reassuring. Recovery vehicle was bang on time, right vehicle first time with a driver who new about ARVs with long overhangs and could not do enough for us. We left him with a tip and two bottles of Bordeaux. And it only costs me £124.00 per year for full continental cover and peace of mind.

BIGrog98http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/images/smilies/thumb.gif

ive just emailed britannia again and they sent one back stating they do not cover ARVs at all ???????

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back