Breakdown and Recovery 4 T MoHo (1 Viewer)

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Evening all

Im looking for recommendations for breakdown and recovery for out 4 tonne 7.3m Moho.

Ive just had my RAC renewal on Arrival being a member of C and C C.
Bearing I've been with them donkeys years they put the price unto nearly £160 and it didn't include Europe, thats another £76.
Also I was told the arrival part of the package doesn't cover a MoHo so to be fair its pretty useless IMHO.

So great people of the Fun Site who should I contact for a reasonable deal?
Might not be using the European side of recovery this year but certainly next year and would prefer repatriation and not using a garage in Europe.

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
Comfort, if they insure the MH they insure the breakdown in the EU, mine is 7.9m @ 4200kgs.

Insurance £258.74
Breakdown cover £ 60.50 Horizon Advantage RAC
----------
£319.24

Last edited:
OP
OP
Silver-Fox

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Comfort, if they insure the MH they insure the breakdown in the EU, mine is 7.9m @ 4200kgs.

Insurance £258.74
----------
£319.24

Blimey that is a seriously good price.
Will put them on the list as insurance is due soon.

Thanks

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Other option is Nationwide bank account their flex plus account gives breakdown cover up to 7.5t. Costs £13 month but you get ½ of that back as they pay interest on up to 2.5k in the account.

OP
OP
Silver-Fox

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Other option is Nationwide bank account their flex plus account gives breakdown cover up to 7.5t. Costs £13 month but you get ½ of that back as they pay interest on up to 2.5k in the account.

Does that include Europe @Lenny HB if so seems very good.
Have you had dealings with them?

OP
OP
Silver-Fox

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Does anyone else use Green Flag on here through C and MC?

Feb 26, 2012
Funster No
MH
coach
Exp
Motorhome since 2006 (caravanning 38yrs)
Yes. We have had the 'Mayday' C&MC scheme with Green Flag since before Motorhoming as it covers the caravan as well. There are different levels of cover. The Premium personal cover level covers you in any vehicle whether driving or as a passenger. Also provides continue on to destination and second recovery home. UK only as the C&MC have the Red Pennant scheme for abroad.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Used to be with C&MC Mayday cover however never had to "claim" on it so how good it was \ is?????
Switched to ADAC a year ago following good reports on here and currently renewing. Had to call them out a couple of weeks back and AA turned up about 45 minutes later. Fixed the problem (flat battery) in 10\15 minutes. This was for car not motorhome. Plus membership covers you in any vehicle. Cost this year €84.
Downside is there are reports that you now have to have a Germany address to join but some ambiguity about this.

RandallC

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 4, 2012
Devizes
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 8096
Exp
2012, prior too, 17 years Folding Camper & Caravan
Yes includes Europe, quite a few other Funsters rely on it and have given favourable reports. Covers any vehicle you are in.

Unfortunately has an 8m length limit otherwise I’d use it.

However does nicely for the scooter and car here and Europe.

Account also provides world wide travel insurance ( ok if no conditions to declare, otherwise can be expensive )

Plus couple of other things and that’s times 2 if a joint account

Jan 14, 2015
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Ixeo 726G
Exp
since 2014
Another plug for Nationwide Flexi Plus account, the account costs £13 a month, covers any vehicle you are in up to 8m and 7.5ton, including Europe, I had to use them last Sunday night, I put a thread "Breakdown Woes" on here, have a look.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Does that include Europe @Lenny HB if so seems very good.
Have you had dealings with them?

I have used Nationwide breakdown twice in UK,,excellent,,,also claimed on their holiday insurance,,again excellent,,BUSBY,,

soreeyes

Free Member
Feb 21, 2012
Dorset
Funster No
MH
Sunlight T69L 2017
Exp
im a newbie
I thought breakdown and recovery services will tow you to a local garage and IF the vehicle can not be repaired then they arrange repatriation to the UK ?

OP
OP
Silver-Fox

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
I thought breakdown and recovery services will tow you to a local garage and IF the vehicle can not be repaired then they arrange repatriation to the UK ?

That’s what the RAC told me last night and that’s not what I really want.
I prefer to go to a trusted place here in the U.K.

soreeyes

Free Member
Feb 21, 2012
Dorset
Funster No
MH
Sunlight T69L 2017
Exp
im a newbie

I should think the only way you could get that is arrange your own recovery and possibly a commercial recovery . I know from information on other forums for recovery they charge about 200 an hour for a driver and truck on a job .

My advice on recovery is always read the terms and conditions for the cover as these companies that quote no size limit don't till you read the small print . ADAC have a 300 euro cap on breakdown per job then you have cover the cost and it does happen when the tow company will demand the extra .

Last edited:
May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better

Your going to find it very difficult to find a breakdown cover like that, all will want the vehicle to go to a local garage, and to be honest I’d rather it went to most garages out in Europe then England...

Deleted User

Insurance £258.74
----------
£319.24
My Rapido is insured with Comfort, exactly the same price. Breakdown cover also covers UK and includes home start.

Spongy

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
I use Driverguardian. They didn’t flinch when I asked if they would cover my 19 year old Winnebago, 7.5t and 10 metres long.
Mind you, I never needed them so don’t know how good they are.
Still with them for our cars and most recent van.

Feb 26, 2012
Funster No
MH
coach
Exp
@Eddystone thanks for that always good to hear from customer.
I gather you pay a bit more for European cover then.

Have paid for the CMC Red Pennant cover each time we went to France. Don't see the point of paying every year for European cover if we are not going there.

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2012
Funster No
MH
coach
Exp
The breakdown service has always been excellent and is provided by a breakdown garage local to where you have broken down. Our need always required taking us to their garage or transporting us home.

A parking brake fault on the Moho when on a cl required a flat bed truck. We were winched onto it on the small site and taken to their garage where they worked on it immediately, a couple of hours, while we strolled around the local village.

I've had a wheel change done at home when a valve stem started to leak, and on one occasion the car needed recovery on a flat bed and the caravan was hitched on behind it. Again, the repair was able to be done on the car while we waited and then we carried on home.

When an alternator failed, at a motorway service area at mid-night, we were transported home. 150 miles. We were solo in a car and the truck cab accommodated us and the children with the car on a flat bed. Not towed.

This is over a period of 40yrs. We aren't always breaking down!

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
I use Driverguardian. They didn’t flinch when I asked if they would cover my 19 year old Winnebago, 7.5t and 10 metres long.
Mind you, I never needed them so don’t know how good they are.
Still with them for our cars and most recent van.

Beware their limitation on height, which if you have an AC unit or other stuff on the roof, might make you over. Our beautiful :inlove: Winnebago:inlove: is 3.7m. :happy:

Gross Vehicle Weight - 7.5 tonnes

▪ Length ・ 12m

▪ Width - 2.55m incl. wing mirrors

▪ Height - 3m

If the vehicle you are in breaks down while you are towing a caravan or trailer, we will recover the vehicle and the caravan or trailer, as long as the caravan or trailer is not more than:

• • Length – 8m
  • • Width - 2.55m
  • • Height – 3m
Please note that vehicles and caravans/trailers that exceed these dimensions are not covered.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting

You won't be towed anywhere here. It's illegal.

As above. Recovery to nearest garage .

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983

Thanks for that however they don't offer cover abroad for more than 31 days, so sadly still looking.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Thanks for that however they don't offer cover abroad for more than 31 days, so sadly still looking.
Have you rung them? They cover our van and car for 90 days per European trip with unlimited trips. I think they also do 120 day cover, or at least my brain thinks they did. That may have changed, but a phone call to them will sort it out.

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
Have you rung them?

No I haven't teephoned them; their website gives me the option to choose 90 days European cover but then in brakets it says limited to 31 days each trip, so I might just speak to them but I think you should perhaps check your policy wording.

Thanks.. Griff

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Evening all

Im looking for recommendations for breakdown and recovery for out 4 tonne 7.3m Moho.

Bearing I've been with them donkeys years they put the price unto nearly £160 and it didn't include Europe, thats another £76.
Also I was told the arrival part of the package doesn't cover a MoHo so to be fair its pretty useless IMHO.

Might not be using the European side of recovery this year but certainly next year and would prefer repatriation and not using a garage in Europe.

Shame ADAC are not taking British residents now,,I pay about £85 a year with them,,,BUSBY.

Augusta08

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2015
Morbihan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Augusta
Exp
Since 2001
Evening all

I was with RAC Arrival and they always put the price up on renewal. Let it lapse for a couple of weeks then apply for it from "New" and behold the price is very competitive again!!!

Saved me £76 this year.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back