Breakdown and personal insurance abroad

Discussion in 'Motorhome Insurance General Discussion' started by Sylvia Want, Nov 5, 2018.

1. Sylvia Want

Sylvia Want Funster

Ratings:
    +3
    Hi
    I am now looking at both breakdown and personal insurance for our trip to Spain Jan and Feb
    Any advice on who to use and maybe avoid

2. mitzimad

mitzimad Funster

Ratings:
    +7,699
    quite often you can get breakdown cover with your insurance personal insurance you need to trawl the web to find what suits you

3. QFour

QFour Funster

Ratings:
    +1,130
    Red Pennant is really good. If you have a problem they are very helpful and keep in contact with you until its solved or you get home.

4. Jim

Jim Ringleader

Ratings:
    +102,894
    We've always enjoyed breakdown cover along with our insurance. Holiday insurance is always bought on a trip by trip basis. If you shop around there are lots of companies and you should find precisely what you need at the right price (y)

5. Koppersbeat

Koppersbeat Funster

Ratings:
    +128
    Nationwide Flex Plus bank account covers it all.

6. monzer

monzer Funster

Ratings:
    +664
    Little bump for this as although I have motor insurance sorted for my extended Euro trip I am still looking for personal travel insurance. Any recommendations?

When using the compare sites would a 9 month+ trip through various European countries class as back packers insurance or a multi trip?

7. Mikeco

Mikeco Funster

Ratings:
    +2,863
    We have used the Camping Club for our 6 months trip, basic cost was £104 each plus any add ons for pre existing conditions. Mine cost £9.40 and the quote for my wife was around £680, quess who’s not covered.

8. mikebeaches

mikebeaches Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +2,329
    We have used Columbus Direct successfully for a number of years. We always have an annual multi-trip policy and you can choose single trip lengths of 30 days, or 45 days or possibly longer?

We used to pay about £85pa (to cover both of us) for a Bronze Europe only policy, but when I reached 65 it doubled - which I still found acceptable value. We have quite a few medical conditions listed, but fortunately nothing too serious.

https://www.columbusdirect.com/

9. berni109

berni109 Funster

Ratings:
    +623
    From my experience so far the nationwide travel insurance for medical emergency is not worth the paper it's written on or the space it takes up in the internet.
    I will post more details as a warning to others when I get a final answer.

10. joka250

joka250 Funster

Ratings:
    +770
    As per @QFour another vote for CAMC Red Pennant. Just received my renewal down by £60 on last year, £370 for vehicle self and Janet, all health conditions (mine, she's condition free) to a greater level than I'm likely to need, very comprehensive vehicle cover all of Europe for up to 66 days at a time (longer available) and total for year is 247 days I think (got to double check that).
    C&CC didn't want to know and as @berni109 said Nationwide Flex Plus an absolute non starter. Haven't gone to huge lengths to find alternative but best I could find on comparison sites was £408 for personal cover for the 2 of us with 45 day limit and no vehicle cover.
    NOT everybody will gain from the Red Pennant policy as it is geared up to complex health needs but I can't find anything better.