Break-ins (1 Viewer)

Jan 22, 2019
Bucks
Funster No
MH
Adria PVC
Exp
Rented a few times...now an owner.
Took a picture of this van last night because I noted his security. Fiamia locks on all the windows.....is this a step too far?

Would have thought they would be noisy on the motorway .... I don't know the locks, but looking at them, they seem to secure the lower edge reasonably, but surely a screwdriver or crowbar would easily lever one of the other sides open ?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
We were on an aire once when a van came really late at night he had been to a restaurant and came out to find his van had been broken into they had a lot of damage as they had fiamma locks like that fitted and the doorframe was badly damaged when it was prised off.
It also advertises that you may have something in there worth nicking.

These are even worse they actually make it easier to break in it gives you something to lever on. I know someone who had one on his van, they did £3000 of damage and stole 2 CD's.
1580118024216.png

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 29, 2016
Aquitaine, France
Funster No
MH
Kentucky Estro 9
Exp
23 years
I'm thinking of making my ducato more secure and was just wondering if we all get over paranoid when it comes to security like we do with axle weights and mopeds :sneaky:
How many of us have experienced motorhome break-ins while away?
I personally have not, including trips to Italy (including Milan and the Pisa) france, germany, Austria, Spain, Holland .
In nearly 15 years I have had one side locker lock screw drivered in S Spain (failed) I have to admit that my van is filthiest most decrepit looking example on the road. Same as my motorbike, I want the scum to take one look & back away in fear of catching something from it. My philosophy: If it's shiny and looks expensive, some git will want to spoil it.

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Took a picture of this van last night because I noted his security. Fiamia locks on all the windows.....is this a step too far?
You wouldn’t be able to get out of that in a hurry if there was a fire inside...?

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
15 years. Use of motorway aires. Not one single incident.

I'll bet the majority will say the same.

Read Jim's security guide.

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
The only things of any value in mine are a ten quid Tesco phone and maybe a couple of bottles of St Emilion. No bikes, iPad, T.V., etc.
The only person who could get anywhere near the max 50 euros in my wallet at the foot of my zipped sleeping bag would be a slim 20 something blonde female with big aspirations, but I live in hope.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
N&B Arto for 10 years mostly wildcamping/Aires/Stellplatz and no break-ins nor seen any lurkers.

But I doubt whether chance thieves drive around remote areas on the off-chance of finding a MH parked.

Geoff

OP
OP
R1guy

R1guy

Free Member
Sep 7, 2018
East yorks
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
12 years
I didn't miss anything, please read the first line of my reply. Thank you for your input :giggle:

OP
OP
R1guy

R1guy

Free Member
Sep 7, 2018
East yorks
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
12 years
It also advertises that you may have something in there worth nicking.

These are even worse they actually make it easier to break in it gives you something to lever on. I know someone who had one on his van, they did £3000 of damage and stole 2 CD's.
View attachment 359374
Oh dear, my recently purchased van has one of these, I didn't use it when we went away as I didn't realise it was dual purpose at the time.

OP
OP
R1guy

R1guy

Free Member
Sep 7, 2018
East yorks
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
12 years
Thank you for every bodies replies and experiences.
I guess we fit whatever makes us feel better for piece of mind it also seems that most of us are fortunate with only a few unlucky enough to have bad experiences.
I think that I will still fit the proplates and heo locks as the door locks do seem to be a weak point.
I usually have my most valued with me , (blue eyed blond ;) ) Also I don't care so much about passports once away as i'm never in a rush to return (y)

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Thank you for every bodies replies and experiences.
I guess we fit whatever makes us feel better for piece of mind it also seems that most of us are fortunate with only a few unlucky enough to have bad experiences.
I think that I will still fit the proplates and heo locks as the door locks do seem to be a weak point.
I usually have my most valued with me , (blue eyed blond ;) ) Also I don't care so much about passports once away as i'm never in a rush to return (y)

Of course in many countries one is obliged by law to carry identification at all times and UK does not have Identity Cards.

Not that I carry my passport - they will just have to accept my photo driving licence - or lock me up with free meals for 24 hours.

Oct 21, 2019
Marlow, Buckinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Tourer
Exp
Begun travelling the road in our first van in 2013
The only things of any value in mine are a ten quid Tesco phone and maybe a couple of bottles of St Emilion. No bikes, iPad, T.V., etc.
The only person who could get anywhere near the max 50 euros in my wallet at the foot of my zipped sleeping bag would be a slim 20 something blonde female with big aspirations, but I live in hope.
You like chewing on toes then Spriddler? :roflmto:

Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
We have deadlocks on all doors and a few other "slow them down" deterrents.

We also have bars on the windows, but this is so we can have the windows open and to keep the dog safe.

Just need to slow an undesirable down enough to wake the vans owner:

_MG_3414.jpg

Not really to protect the van or dog - more because I'm lazy.

The last thing I need when returning from the pub is to have to sweep up burglar ;)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back