Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Thinking about Chester at Easter...

Got hold of a couple of bread trays & cut out the bases... But to my mind they look a bit "flimsy" to get a 3.5 tonne PVC out of the mud :unsure:?

IMG_20180305_115814494-600x1067.jpg

IMG_20180305_115827381-800x450.jpg

I can get more trays like the first pic, which seems a little more substantial than the second...

Any advice?
Do I need to park the front (fwd) wheels on a couple of the bases to reduce getting bogged down?

Say I have 3 pairs, laid out as a track to get going off a field & it works, I guess I just keep going until I get to a hard surface, then schlep back to retrieve my "mats" ??

All new stuff to a wet weather newbie :cautious:.

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968

Got hold of a couple of bread trays & cut out the bases... But to my mind they look a bit "flimsy" to get a 3.5 tonne PVC out of the mud :unsure:?

View attachment 217199

View attachment 217200

I can get more trays like the first pic, which seems a little more substantial than the second...

Any advice?
Do I need to park the front (fwd) wheels on a couple of the bases to reduce getting bogged down?

Say I have 3 pairs, laid out as a track to get going off a field & it works, I guess I just keep going until I get to a hard surface, then schlep back to retrieve my "mats" ??

Put long string on each one then tie to rear bumper ,
that way they will follow , save a lot of traipsing thru mud etc :)

OP
OP
Langtoftlad

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Put long string on each one then tie to rear bumper ,
that way they will follow , save a lot of traipsing thru mud etc :)
I had thought of that but I am a little concerned about the damage [to my van & onlookers/helpers] that substantial, rough edged chunks of plastic flailing about might cause as I plough through said mud at a rate of knots trying to keep forward momentum... o_O.

I have visions of my escape of a waterlogged Chester Racecourse looking something like this:

Perhaps in reality my MH would be a little more 'sedate'
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013

View attachment 217199

View attachment 217200

Any advice?

I have ones like the second picture and they work. ( maybe not as wide) Put them on all four wheels and it stops sinking.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
they are good for parking on, saves sinking.. but I won't tie them on.. once moving just keep moving, keep straight line until you are on firmer ground.. go back and collect later

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
I had thought of that but I am a little concerned about the damage [to my van & onlookers/helpers] that substantial, rough edged chunks of plastic flailing about might cause as I plough through said mud at a rate of knots trying to keep forward momentum... o_O.

I have visions of my escape of a waterlogged Chester Racecourse looking something like this:

Perhaps in reality my MH would be a little more 'sedate'
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

One would expect in this age of H&S that your velocity would be somewhat less :) however desperation can make us do strange things :LOL:

These are the real deal http://tracmat.com/index.php?

Last edited:

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
Plenty of empty bread crates in the shops at the moment. :D2

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
One would expect in this age of H&S that your velocity would be somewhat less :) however desperation can make us do strange things :LOL:

These are the real deal http://tracmat.com/index.php?

I bought a set of these.. awesome.. but weigh a ton and need serious storage space...

I stopped taking them as they were rarely if ever required... we also tend to use aires that are generally hardstanding.

The bread trays are lightweight and while not puka sandladders adequate for a grass pitch on a CL ..

OP
OP
Langtoftlad

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
You done it wrong. You should leave the solid bit that joins the bottom to the wall in place. That makes them more rigid. So make the cut on the wall section at the bottom of the honecomb bit.
Of course I've done it wrong - I'm a complete numpty when it comes to DIY, technical, mechanical :(
Thanks for the tip, do I want them more rigid - I've got more coming (y)
Not sure my hacksaw will manage cutting through the walls though :unsure:, we'll see.

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
With 10.5t I never go near any grass except at Twin Lakes, France, where even in the winter it seems to be rock hard. :)

OP
OP
Langtoftlad

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
use a jig saw ..
How's one of these going to help?
1200x630bb.jpg

DIY is not my thing - seriously, if I have to buy a power tool I might a) cut off a digit or b) be better off buying a proper griptrack thingy.

@peterc10
Do you suggest cutting a "A" so the piece is flat or "B" so it has a ridge around the edge?
Bread Crate 1.jpg

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Yours are somewhat different to mine in that the walls were partly honeycombed in mine. I suggest you cut at B and leave a small ridge. Then use it ridge down on the ground, so it digs in a bit when the weight goes on it. That is what I intend to do, if I I am ever called on to use them! As others have said you really need an electric jigsaw to make the cut.

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
Also been using bread trays for years, thank you Uncle Norm, for that and mny other peices of useful advice. copes ok with our 4T van

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back