Bread maker (1 Viewer)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Having enjoyed fresh bread daily for the past eight months in France we decided to invest in a bread maker.. lovely fresh home made bread daily ... 10/10 the best thing since, well, sliced bread..:thumb:

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
The trouble is Jim it's so good you can't stop eating it.:thumb:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
We have used ours, a panasonic, almost every day for about 8 years, a great bit of kit. Not only is the bread delicious, you can control how much sugar/salt etc is in each recipe, its also handy when the nearest shop is 40 minutes away:Smile:

Never took one away in the motorhome though, must do it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
We have used ours, a panasonic, almost every day for about 8 years, a great bit of kit.

Great minds Jim .....
after some research we also bought a Panasonic..:thumb:

While on the aire at Mimizan we met a couple who had one, they never bought French preferring their 'home made' ..

Next quest is to buy flour in bulk :roflmto:,

tony morris

Free Member
Jun 27, 2008
Calcot Reading Berkshire
Funster No
MH
bailey caravan
Exp
30 months mh 40+ years tugger and camping
hi like you say best thing since sliced bread so easy to use and store you can make what ever size loaf you want small or large set the timer you can wake up to nice fresh loaf carrot loaf and fruit loaf is nice also good for jam making plus the added advantage less than half the price you would pay in the shops

TinaGlenn

Free Member
Aug 7, 2007
Near King's Lynn
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
9 years
Our old Hinari Lifestyle breadmaker has been in more or less constant use for about 14 - 15 years, you can't beat homemade bread.
We have been using the white bread flour from Lidl's at 48p for a 1.5 kg bag it makes very nice bread too. Glenn buys a tray full at a time.
We have taken the bread maker out and about a few times, recently to a rally with the other mhf and it was very popular, we did have to use our generator at Shepton to power it though :RollEyes:

Tina

V

vicdicdoc

Deleted User
We took a bread maker in a caravan when we drove across from Perth to Adelaide in Aus . . . 2,400 miles and fresh bread every day [obviously on hook-up in caravan sites along the way, we bought one on our return and use it a lot - yummie bread [got our one in the British Heart Foundation shop, it was marked up as £20 but the little old lady said it was £10 but then another lady said it was 10% off day so we got it for £9 ! perfect condition & working order . . you can't beat that for a bargin

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
I could do with some recipes as my bread comes out really heavy.

Love Morrison's Sunflower and Pumpkin seeded bread now and snack on it to.

Trouble is Morrison's is a 30 mile round trip every other day just for it:Doh::Doh::RollEyes:

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I could do with some recipes as my bread comes out really heavy.

Hi John sorry to hear that mate, for what it's worth I'm using the basic recipe supplied with the machine..

Large white loaf

550g Strong white flour
25g Butter
2 tsp Sugar
1 1/2 tsp Salt
1 1/4 tsp yeast
360ml water

Process time on Panasonic is 4 hours..

Hope that helps..

Jim

davejen

Free Member
Aug 21, 2008
Preston
Funster No
MH
Given up travelling
Exp
Since 1992
Interesting topic, can you tell me the model of your breadmaker? will have to try one
Dave & Jen:thumb:

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Hi

Mine is a Panasonic SD-255

Check Argos, they have a good range ....

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
A few years ago the panasonic bread makers won every review, but I am sure that the others may have caught up with them by now. If ours broke today we would buy the same one tomorrow. We have never had a disaster with the Panasonic it just works every time.

I still remember the first loaf, I was really proud of it, I don't know why, you just throw the ingredients in (literally) close the lid and hit go. :RollEyes:You can't beat that smell though, and shaking a nice hot loaf out of the tin and buttering a piece while its still warm is one of life's little pleasures::bigsmile:

V

vanessa

Deleted User
Another vote for the Panasonic here, and another home-made bread fan::bigsmile: I only have a duff loaf if I change brand of flour, as they're all different absorbencies, so takes a little bit of juggling the water to get it right ... but rarely change flours now I've got a white and a wholemeal flour sussed here.

Only problem is not eating too much:Doh:

camcondor

Free Member
Jul 27, 2007
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
Panasonic wins in our house too :thumb: Ours is about 10 years old although we go through phases when we don't use it, it makes great bread and we wouldn't ditch it despite having an Aga. The Aga has to be switched off in the summer as its just too hot in the rooms adjoining it, so the breadmaker comes back into use then. However good the Panasonic is, mind you, it doesn't beat the Aga........

:Smile:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Got a quote for an AGA once. £7500:Eeek: I know two people that have them, and swear by them, but it seems both only use it to keep the kitchen warm. I have seen them both cooking on adjacent regular hob & oven:Doh:

camcondor

Free Member
Jul 27, 2007
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
The Aga is absolutely fantastic, I would never, ever cook on a "normal" cooker if I had the choice - I try to ensure its either the Aga or outside on the Cadac, the Cobb or the Thermos gas griller we have in the garden.

The Aga did cost around that originally as we bought it new, but its been worth every penny and not many cookers last for 50 years or more:ROFLMAO: you can also take it with when you move; an Aga engineer can take the installation down quite quickly and reinstall in a new property. So its a cooker for life if you want it, but granted not everyone wants a cooker at that price. And used ones are available from good suppliers at a whole lot less since the price of gas etc has risen.

Food cooked on an Aga or in its ovens is just fab - pizza is perfect, spuds even more so, roasts, toast, drop scones on the top plate, cakes, cookies, just everything ::bigsmile: The heat in winter is so nice, plus we have an Aga drier rack for damp outdoor gear/ washing etc and the house feels so much warmer with it on. We turn it off around April - end September, though as the heat in the kitchen area becomes stifling. Really really miss cooking on it though for the months its off!!!! Most people with Agas absolutely love them :thumb:

Lampie

Free Member
Nov 2, 2007
Derby
Funster No
MH
C Class RV
Exp
Panasonic for me too. Had ours a good few years now and can't fault it. Does what it says on the tin ( box ) . One of the best things I have ever bought still gets me . " How does it do that " every time.

Lampie

N

N Luyetund

Deleted User
Aga... taste the difference without Sainsbury's... rare privilege enjoyed when I visit the outlaws:winky:

must explore this home made bread lark :thumb:

(have indigestion remedy :ROFLMAO:)

V

vanessa

Deleted User
I wish our wood-burner was an Aga! Still, a Deville is the best mark in France, and it came "with the house", so I can't complain really. In winter, we rarely cook on anything else; only if we need more space than the Deville offers (plenty of hob space, but only 1 smallish oven). I don't tend to use my Panasonic in winter, mixing the dough in my Kenwood Chef (designed and originally manufactured by my father's cousin's husband:Cool:) and cooking it in the Deville. Even scrummier!!::bigsmile:

Graham ... you'll just have to make that much-talked-about visit:winky: Home-made bread here, y'know:winky:

theboadacea

Free Member
Oct 1, 2007
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Mmmmm, just dug the breadmaker - that I inherited a few weeks ago - out of the back of the cupboard and have fired it up.

Note to self: never set the timer to bake bread overnight as the dough mixing stage freaks the dogs right out :ROFLMAO:. They were hurling themselves at the work surface trying to kill the interloper.

Can't wait for the smells to start wafting through from the kitchen. I have also just made a batch of pasta sauce for homemade lasagne later, my kitchen smells divine! ::bigsmile:

RVHarvey

Free Member
Nov 5, 2007
Valencia, Spain
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
Decades on and off
Hi.
Bought a Panasonic a coupla months ago, and it makes superb bread if I use the Panny recipe. Tried several ready mixes and didn't rate them at all.
One question. Mine only seems to work on mains electricity. Have tried two different generators (RV and home) but the display kept flashing. Presume it only likes a pure sine wave!? Anybody out there clever enough to know the answer?

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Mine only seems to work on mains electricity. Have tried two different generators (RV and home) but the display kept flashing. Presume it only likes a pure sine wave!? Anybody out there clever enough to know the answer?

You may have answered your own question...
Ours works fine on the Honda genny, only a couple of days ago while baking bread we had a power cut, plugged in the Honda and continued to bake ..

N

N Luyetund

Deleted User
Graham ... you'll just have to make that much-talked-about visit:winky: Home-made bread here, y'know:winky:

You're on my list of places to go... underlined now :winky:

Meantime I've lashed out and bought the Argos cheapest £34.97... been wondering what to do with the refund card on a naff phone :ROFLMAO: ...
just have to get some ingredients now ... and give it a go ...Gaviscon at the ready:ROFLMAO:

A

Applegate

Deleted User
A few years ago the panasonic bread makers won every review, but I am sure that the others may have caught up with them by now. If ours broke today we would buy the same one tomorrow. We have never had a disaster with the Panasonic it just works every time.

It seems they still do Jim! The Panasonic bread makers sometimes cost a little more than other brands such as Kenwood, Morphy Richards and Breville, but they are usually worth it if you want a unit which will last, and have excellent after-sales support from the manufacturers.

After just putting together a Bread Maker Review site I've learnt a lot about these wonderful little machines.

I got the idea from my mother, she was wanting to get hold of a bread maker and didn't know which model to choose. I now recommend the SD-255 everytime, never heard a bad thing said about it! :thumb:

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Panasonic bites the dust

Sadly I have to report that just NINE days outside the warranty the £100 Panasonic Bread maker has broken down .. :Angry::Angry:

The the end of the drive shaft where the dough beater slots onto has gone pear shaped .. literally .. it should be D shaped, so now the kneader just spins freely on the shaft.

I guestimate we have made between 180 and 200 loaves since new.. roughly one every other day plus cakes and pizza dough.. etc

Soo.. like many things these says..

Not fit for purpose Mr Panasonic..

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
Sadly I have to report that just NINE days outside the warranty the £100 Panasonic Bread maker has broken down .. :Angry::Angry:

The the end of the drive shaft where the dough beater slots onto has gone pear shaped .. literally .. it should be D shaped, so now the kneader just spins freely on the shaft.

I guestimate we have made between 180 and 200 loaves since new.. roughly one every other day plus cakes and pizza dough.. etc

Soo.. like many things these says..

Not fit for purpose Mr Panasonic..

Jim don't junk it - we had a panasonic which did similar things a couple of years back and I spoke with panasonic and was pleasantly suprised to find all parts were readily available despite it being 3 or 4 years old at the time - I placed an order paid for them over the phone - quite a nominal cost and they all arrived within 48hrs and rebuilt it - now still going well - gave it to our daughter as it was a little to big for the 5'er cupboards and she uses it most days - we bought another slightly smaller panasonic and chuffed to bits with it - can't beat fresh bread or the smell !!!

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Jim don't junk it - we had a panasonic which did similar things a couple of years back and I spoke with panasonic and was pleasantly suprised to find all parts were readily available despite it being 3 or 4 years old at the time - I placed an order paid for them over the phone - quite a nominal cost and they all arrived within 48hrs and rebuilt it - now still going well - gave it to our daughter as it was a little to big for the 5'er cupboards and she uses it most days - we bought another slightly smaller panasonic and chuffed to bits with it - can't beat fresh bread or the smell !!!

Hi

no plan to junk it, I've found the part .. costs £22 , just annoyed it broke down only a few days out of warranty .. this is the part .. called the bearing assembly

Link Removed

thanks

jim

lugnutt

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 9, 2007
wednesbury.westmidlands
Funster No
MH
autotrail apache
Exp
10 years
ours has be good but we did loose the padle came of in a loaf that was not eaten and throun out , cost £16 for a new one

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back