Bread! in a Crock Pot! haha..... (1 Viewer)

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
I thought I would experiment with the slow cooker today. I made this anaemic looking loaf :xrofl:

It took 2 hours to cook (until the inside of the bread reached 98c anyway)

Can't try it yet as on a 'fasting day' but I will report back tomorrow :eek:

Ah well, if ever the main oven should fail .............. :rolleyes:

P1260695.jpg

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
Oh dear! Can you put it in the oven to crisp it up a bit?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Some on here have made bread in their Remoska :xThumb:
That's something we want to try as plan to make soda bread in the motorhome when can't buy decent fresh bread easily :xThumb: Mr Womble has been known to make quite good easy flat breads at home so trying to find the best recipe for that too as another idea for when away as quick to cook in a pan. Any suggestions for flat bread recipes?

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Any suggestions for flat bread recipes
Oh yes I would like a recipe or two for anything that doesn't need hours of proving. I have been meaning to make bread, or at least try, in the van for ages but have

davejen

Free Member
Aug 21, 2008
Preston
Funster No
MH
Given up travelling
Exp
Since 1992
Bought a small tin-loaf in Broadway on Monday, £1.50, all gone by Tuesday, absolutely delicious!, bought similar from Morrisons, 75p absolute crap!!! will be going back to the village in future.......
Cheers, Dave:xThumb:

OP
OP
C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
C'mon people! ..................... we do have a Bread Making Group on here! (look in groups) (y)(y)

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
That's something we want to try as plan to make soda bread in the motorhome when can't buy decent fresh bread easily :xThumb: Mr Womble has been known to make quite good easy flat breads at home so trying to find the best recipe for that too as another idea for when away as quick to cook in a pan. Any suggestions for flat bread recipes?

Cant help , sorry. Im a fairly basic baker but have been called worse :xsurprised::xgrin:

OP
OP
C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Good morning peeps! a little update for those of you that are interested.........

The 'Crock Pot Bread' has exceeded my expectations! I cut the weird shape overspill off, cut a couple of slices and toasted them........... It tastes yummy and the texture is perfect (for a 'sandwich' loaf). If you don't like either crusts or hard crusts then this is the bread for you (y)

It is also very simple to make and would allow you to 'put the bread in' and go out for a walk with the dog for 2 hours!

It won't be a regular for me as I much prefer the fun and taste of making sourdough bread, but as I said in the first post, it was an experiment, and I am more than happy with the result (y)

P1260701.jpg

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
@chockswahay well I am looking forward to the taste test :)

Thinking of trying something like this tomorrow:

http://www.artisanbreadinfive.com/2012/06/05/gluten-free-crock-pot-bread
Thanks for that. Will pass on to our daughter in law.
Good morning peeps! a little update for those of you that are interested.........

The 'Crock Pot Bread' has exceeded my expectations! I cut the weird shape overspill off, cut a couple of slices and toasted them........... It tastes yummy and the texture is perfect (for a 'sandwich' loaf). If you don't like either crusts or hard crusts then this is the bread for you (y)

It is also very simple to make and would allow you to 'put the bread in' and go out for a walk with the dog for 2 hours!

It won't be a regular for me as I much prefer the fun and taste of making sourdough bread, but as I said in the first post, it was an experiment, and I am more than happy with the result (y)

View attachment 86379
Just proves that looks ain't everything (y)(y)

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
OP
OP
C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
I love my slow cooker - but I also have a breadmaker.
I'm tempted by the idea of slow cooker bread.

@chockswahay it looks as if you did your bread in a container in the slow cooker?
When looking at this recipe;
http://www.artisanbreadinfive.com/2012/05/29/crock-pot-bread-baking-fast-bread-in-a-slow-cooker
it looks like they put the dough directly (on greaseproof) into the pot which made a more 'natural' looking loaf ?

Yes, it seems there are plenty of ways to try it. I did not have any greaseproof paper yesterday so I used my small bread tin to keep the dough away from the sides. As it happens if I try this again I will probably put the dough in to the pot cold and warm it up from there and just see what happens!

I can tell you it is quicker and easier in your bread machine (but even tastier by hand ;))

:)

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
I have finally got myself organised and have a lump of gluten free dough proving.

The flour is a pre-mix from the wheat free bakery in Broxburn, dried yeast, warm water and oil. It made around 1000gm of dough which I have split into two. Half is proving at warm room temperature now and the other is in the fridge. I will try the room proved lump in the small slow cooker once it's risen. It is the small slow cooker we take in the van with us so if there is an acceptable loaf it will mean I can take stuff away with me and not be on edge wondering if I'll be able to get bread when travelling. I used the pre-mix to take some of the uncertainty out of the equation.

Gluten free can be a challenge for a baker. Gluten is a protein and is the "gloop" that makes the dough elastic. Take out the gluten protein and you need to replace it with another protein. In the past xanthan or guar gum has been used (yuck). Xanthan gum is still a key ingredient but the gluten proteins are now being replaced with milk, egg, soya and other gluten-free proteins. It's fun to experiment but the ingredients can be expensive so too many failures are disheartening.

I will report back..........

Reactions: GJH
OP
OP
C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Hi @Puddleduck If it interests you Trevor Herbert (Hobbs Bakery) recommends Dove Farm Gluten free flour. It would appear that you could even make a sourdough starter from it :)

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
Hi @Puddleduck If it interests you Trevor Herbert (Hobbs Bakery) recommends Dove Farm Gluten free flour. It would appear that you could even make a sourdough starter from it :)

Yes, I use that quite a bit when I can get it :) There are various different types that Doves Farm do and you have to make sure you get the correct ones. Our local health food shop put the Doves Farm Rye flour on the gluten free shelf (Rye is a gluten grain) and managed to burst one of the bags - they had to clear the whole gluten free section as it was contaminated :(

The sourdough is interesting, if I have time I may have a go at that :)

I just borrowed an e-book on low carb gluten free bread but haven't started it yet. I'll try one or two f the recipes and if they are any good will buy a copy of the book in printed format :)

When I was first diagnosed the choices were so much more limited than we have now. I remember my bread arriving in a tin and often being green. :(

Loaf one has just gone in the slow cooker. I lined the cooker with baking paper, not sure if that was necessary or a good idea.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
Well it doesn't look great but smells okay.

Cutting into it it's dense but not neutron star dense (as is some of the gluten free bread you get on prescription).

Taste is okay. It would be nice toasted. Would also make decent bread and butter pudding.

In future I think it needs longer to prove - 90 minutes at least.

No photos as I haven't taken any - gluten free bread is very different to wheat bread and most people would say "yuck" at the look of most gf bread ;)

The slow cooker method of baked worked, the result is reminds me of steam oven baking rather than dry oven baking which makes sense when you think about it.

OP
OP
C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
No photos as I haven't taken any - gluten free bread is very different to wheat bread and most people would say "yuck" at the look of most gf bread ;)

Aw, C'mon, let's have piccies! :D

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back