LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
A follow on from other threads I've seen. Brand new you get all the manuals so you know what is what and you aren't left with "what did the other guy fit this for" and what does this do.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
I'm not sure what keeping score means but I'd say that money enables you to have the opportunity to enjoy more than just the basics of life.

for me as long as the basics are covered at the level of luxury you enjoy then money is not really a huge issue. Of course one person's luxury may be another's basics...... Perhaps I am more than a bit odd (don't answer that) but I have never lusted after a lot of things others appear to want. I have no need for fancy jewellery or designer clothes nor have I ever craved a top range car or a mansion with swimming pool.

I do not want to end up like my parents with loads of money from investments they scrimped and saved to make, heating only one room and eating end of day bargains, not going on holiday or to family events, and now when the investments have matured they are too old to do anything with the money (Mum's words).

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
I have been caravanning for 32 years but in 2014 I have"gone over to the dark side"
We had to sell our 10 year old Rapido (for good reasons which I won't go into here) this year - we only had it a year :(

We bought a new 2015 Knaus - first new motorhome we've owned - love it!!

Excellent build quality - peace of mind from warranty etc.- it suits us fine

We are in our 70's and there are no pockets in shrouds!! :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
No idea !!!
I have only ever bought one car new ( for private use rather than for business ) .. and I swore I would never do the same again !
And me - I would never buy new again. My thoughts are always that if I have £30K to buy a new motorhome I have £30K to buy a secondhand MH that was an awful lot more when it was new. So I end up with a better MH, more toys, and much reduced depreciation. I can't see any downside.

Dec 27, 2014
Funster No
Everyone is different.
A new MH is ideal for some, not so for others.
Myself, I own a used one and wouldn't dream of buying new.... but that's only my view... no right, no wrong.
I won't ever buy a new one, but I've spent the price of a new one many times over on a new aeroplane !.... Am I right ?.... For me, absolutely yes, for others... see me as mad !
Horses for courses, and isn't it just great.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
That's Urban myth #127:Eeek:
In reality Thrashing a modern diesel wears the engine quicker and fills up the DPF quicker.
No ........ the best cars are ex-corporate. Hammered, high mileage, serviced to within an inch of their lives, every failed part replaced immediately with OEM part, only one door & seat used occasionally, suspension spent most of its time on the motorway, started cold once each day. Worst are one lady owner low mileage. Driven gently, exhaust sooted and rotten, engine oil permanently contaminated with condensate, all doors used to allow off-spring to distribute sweets & sweet papers everywhere, feet on the furniture, bodily fluids on most surfaces, school run, crowded parking, little motorway use but what few miles it has done spent climbing out of potholes, valeted before sale.

Probably doesn't apply to MHs though.:rolleyes:

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Your idea of hard was 100? I do about 70 - 80...yes I have seen a handful of campers going faster you notice them as its unusual.....Pretty confident most are empty and being delivered. Motorhomes normally fall to bits before engines pop as they don't do anything like commercial milage...
I was a bit concerned about the 2500 rpm statement. I drive at 65mph on the motorway. That is a satnav 65 that the cruise control is set at. The engine is turning over at 3200rpm at that road speed according to the (unchecked as yet) tacho. I hoped the tacho was wrong. Now I REALLY hope the tacho is wrong:D:D.

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
I was a bit concerned about the 2500 rpm statement. I drive at 65mph on the motorway. That is a satnav 65 that the cruise control is set at. The engine is turning over at 3200rpm at that road speed according to the (unchecked as yet) tacho. I hoped the tacho was wrong. Now I REALLY hope the tacho is wrong:D:D.
Is there a hidden 6th gear :Eeek:

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
No ........ the best cars are ex-corporate. Hammered, high mileage, serviced to within an inch of their lives, every failed part replaced immediately with OEM part, only one door & seat used occasionally, suspension spent most of its time on the motorway, started cold once each day. Worst are one lady owner low mileage. Driven gently, exhaust sooted and rotten, engine oil permanently contaminated with condensate, all doors used to allow off-spring to distribute sweets & sweet papers everywhere, feet on the furniture, bodily fluids on most surfaces, school run, crowded parking, little motorway use but what few miles it has done spent climbing out of potholes, valeted before sale.

Probably doesn't apply to MHs though.:rolleyes:
Nah.....the faster you drive, the faster the pistons and other engine parts go, the more internal wear there is for less milage. So a hammered repmobile engine at 60k has done more eqivalent mileage than a gently driven lady mobile at 60k. But yes stopping and starting etc wears the other transmission parts. I would still go for the lady mobile!!

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
What would take that engine speed to do 65 a Honda 800 Romahome conversion? My transit does 2200 at 65 in 6th gear without any fuss 3200 is up in the 80s

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
I'd love to buy new - I love the idea of everything "new" should bring...
BUT
I don't think I ever read about someone being able to buy a new MH without some hassles, snags, or cock ups.
Which would put a dampener on the whole "buying new" experience.
Buying 'used' you automatically expect a few issues, get a few extras and have some cash in the back pocket to sort any problems out.

I thought I wanted new as I'm not mechanically minded but actually am quite grateful for the buy used advice.
I still have the reassurance of a few quid to sort any problems or refurbish as I want (thinking about a mattress for 2016).

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Nah.....the faster you drive, the faster the pistons and other engine parts go, the more internal wear there is for less milage. So a hammered repmobile engine at 60k has done more eqivalent mileage than a gently driven lady mobile at 60k. But yes stopping and starting etc wears the other transmission parts. I would still go for the lady mobile!!
And it badly wears engines as they are not running at the correct temp.Cold oil will do more damage than a bit of hard work..Many two and three year old vans on E.bay that have been to the moon and back but engines still as sweet as a nut. BUSBY.

Big Nick

Free Member
Aug 17, 2015
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Coachbuilt
Exp
We just bought out first motorhome and bought brand new.
The missus said she didn't want one with a used loo and that had other people's smells!!
I didn't mention to her how many people had lived in our 50 year old house before us!!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back