Brand New (1 Viewer)

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
I don't think that link says anything to support your view. :) In the section about how long a DPF should last it clearly says with a vehicle used in a city the DPF will not last as long as one used say on motorways. In other words passive cleaning (which happens on a long run at reasonable engine revs, say when driving on a motorway) is better than the active DPF cleaning which a city vehicle will tend to use.

I doubt the the Judge was suggesting over-stressing the engine, just make sure it gets hot enough and is given the chance to clear its tubes, so to speak.
Mr Lopez says his motorway driving mates have all had DPF failures.....what does that mean ???

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
So why do I know 5 people, who do nothing but motorway driving , who have all had dpf failure neccesitating replacment ?
That doesn't mean a thing without knowing how many miles they drive each year and what their jobs are!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
I won't be buying a SH motorhome from your good self in that case (y):) I don't rev any vehicle, because they last longer.:)
Managed 300000 out of my last Transit,,,one clutch and a few tyres and brake relines during its life with me. Still see it driving around five years on...BUSBY.:):)

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
matches my 120 year old creaking floorboards and stairs then

My multi millionaire brother in law lives in a large modern wood frame house...the build quality dire....God knows how it got through building control!

madgeD

Free Member
Aug 17, 2014
Cleveland
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
since 2005
If you can get a bargain why worry? We bought our first new van a couple of years ago then spent another few hundred adding extra,s like solar panel, refillable gas , sat dish !! We sold our last van with all these fitted.

This year we bought a new Skoda Fabia diesel in April!! Sold it with 500 miles on clock after we came back from our six weeks away in van as O.H kept stalling it !, bought a new petrol one which thankfully we have got away with! But we have lost out over 4 k on V.A.T

Candapack

Free Member
Oct 16, 2014
Fife, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2013
Picked up our first brand new van from dealer on Tuesday. (Only our second van anyway). To us, it is gorgeous, everything as we wanted. New build, new technology, perfect (at the moment!) layout. Long warranty, local(ish, 30 miles) dealer. Build quality looks good, we've tested everything and haven't yet found anything leaky, loose, rattly, not connected etc.
But, it is a British van, and it's been raining almost constantly since we got it. No water ingress visible yet, but surely just a matter of time. According to some. :mad:
We understand the financial downside of buying a new van, but for us the joy of being first owners outweighed them. And yes, we know we are very lucky to have the choice.

OP
OP
ianthebuilder
Oct 24, 2015
Helgas house
Funster No
MH
hymer e650 battered!!
Exp
None
Now thats a posotive responce !! Good luck to you candpack,may you enjoy it for ages,,i bet you cant stop smiling !!!

Candapack

Free Member
Oct 16, 2014
Fife, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2013
Now thats a posotive responce !! Good luck to you candpack,may you enjoy it for ages,,i bet you cant stop smiling !!!
Yup, except when we were showing some friends the van and they DIDN'T TAKE THEIR SHOES OFF. :mad:
Ah well, we've got other friends - until they DON'T TAKE THEIR SHOES OFF - in our lovely new van.
Expect I'll get over that - eventually.:D

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
All explained here: http://www.hypermiler.co.uk/technical/the-diesel-particulate-filter-dpf-faq
I replied to judgementals quote 'diesels like being driven hard'
If you think pushing the engine to 2500 rpm to get into the DPF cleaning zone for a passive DPF system is 'driving hard' then I must be an F1 driver!!! Anyway if you go on the motorway or warm up the car properly there would be no need to do extra cleaning. I also pointed out that there is absolutely no need to rev up a modern diesel with an 'active' DPF cleaning system as the ECU is doing the cleaning job anyway. All you are doing is wearing the engine and waisting fuel.

Your idea of hard was 100? I do about 70 - 80...yes I have seen a handful of campers going faster you notice them as its unusual.....Pretty confident most are empty and being delivered. Motorhomes normally fall to bits before engines pop as they don't do anything like commercial milage...

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Easily done too. Saw one on Grand Designs a while ago. Seem to remember it leaked a bit, expect that would be down to the British workforce putting it together.:D

wanted to build an Eco house a few years back...gave up as could not find a plot..funny enough the best value kits seemed to be imports:)

market has changed here now..if I was considering it again could source the materials here now..Shame UK motorhome construction has not kept up!

OP
OP
ianthebuilder
Oct 24, 2015
Helgas house
Funster No
MH
hymer e650 battered!!
Exp
None
judge, why dont you build a giant 4 bed motorhome and buy a carpark to stand it on !! lol now that would be worth seeing..haha

DAVWOD

Free Member
Sep 23, 2013
Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote Bavaria
Exp
6 years
Hmmm I'm in a position to purchase my 2nd Motorhome. I viewed a new Hobby LHD with extras. I'm being offered a good return on my Trade- in infact I'm up 3k on what I purchased it for. In relation to the Vat , we live in the UK so have to stump up and pay. I wouldn't buy a new car again I had a new Citroen Picasso 17k in 2103 thats only worth 8k , at least MH dont de-value nearly 50% in such a short space of time.. Shrouds don't have pockets you can't take it with you....

madgeD

Free Member
Aug 17, 2014
Cleveland
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
since 2005
Um I wonder?? it would be interesting to know how much our 2013 Autocruise Alto has lost we paid £47.500 for it back end of 2012.
I dont worry about it though we have been buying new cars for about 30 years now Im not going to start counting the loss ! family usually end up buying off us, well 4 have gone that way. As you say there are not pockets in a shroud and if we don't spend it I know 4 offspring that will have no hesitation in doing so. :rolleyes:

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
No idea !!!
I have only ever bought one vehicle new ( for private use rather than for business ) .. and I swore I would never do the same again !
I only did it once as well ........... depreciation put me off ever doing it again.:(

Peter Sansom

Free Member
May 22, 2015
peebles
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 610
Exp
A relative newbie...ex caravanner
Having just seen a thread on here about someone going abroad to pick up a brand new hymer it made me think,,,(no sympathy required for what i am about to say thankyou) lol I have never been in a position to buy something like this,a vehicle or a house brand new,,with the knowledge that no one has driven it,or even lived in it,cooked in the kitchen,bathed in the tub etc... I have only ever had, used or second hand vehicles and indeed houses,, Even though i feel chuffed when i aquire something new to me i do often wonder what it must be like being the first to live in it,drive it etc,,,what does it feel like???
I suppose the biggest plus of buying new is that if it goes wrong you can take it back and get it fixed under the warranty. I know that second hand give a warranty on a lot of theirs too.
Like cars, buying almost new/ex demonstrator can lop a lot off the price, plus the warranty is still quite long. You may even get the colour you wanted...perhaps white even!

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
One disadvantage we have found in buying brand new, is that there aren't that many extras pre fitted, so we have had to shell out for the new unit, then awnings, external power, re-fillable gas system and extra sockets etc. Then there is the additional batteries, solar if needed, TV aerial, satellite systems if required, MiFi or WiFi boosters. All these come as extras and add £££s to an already expensive unit. Second hand unit, tend to have these already on and just may need updating. On the plus side, everything is new and no body has slept on the bed - would you buy a second hand mattress??. We do intend for this to be our forever MH, so depreciation shouldn’t come into it. In saying all this, still haven’t picked it up yet. 2 and ‘a tad’ weeks to go.:clap:

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
One disadvantage we have found in buying brand new, is that there aren't that many extras pre fitted, so we have had to shell out for the new unit, then awnings, external power, re-fillable gas system and extra sockets etc. Then there is the additional batteries, solar if needed, TV aerial, satellite systems if required, MiFi or WiFi boosters. All these come as extras and add £££s to an already expensive unit. Second hand unit, tend to have these already on and just may need updating. On the plus side, everything is new and no body has slept on the bed - would you buy a second hand mattress??. We do intend for this to be our forever MH, so depreciation shouldn’t come into it. In saying all this, still haven’t picked it up yet. 2 and ‘a tad’ weeks to go.:clap:

can always buy a new mattress:coffee:

nearly new the way to go, ex demo/show vans always a load round in Germany this time of year with big savings....

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Had a few new company cars and the "new car smell" was great..... but not worth all the £s when you could buy a few years down the line...... although we do have a new MH on order, something I said I would never buy but with such a good trade in and the deal given I just hope it works out for us......

Houses? Had new and older, done conversions and restorations and a self build. All have their advantages and disadvantages.

Thinking of selling this one next year and will see what is available before we decide new/used/conversion/renovation or build. I do know an estate house is probably not an option. Possibly a farm building with steading or a place with outbuildings .......

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Then I felt like a prat. I was thinking about the nearly 10k I had just lost in VAT and the other 5/6k I would loose in depreciation in the first year. Yes, I knew all about that before bought the motorhome but put it to the back of my mind.

But if you intend to keep it for 10 years or more this is not really an issue.

It's "only" money and talking to Mum earlier in the week she said that the cheque she got from an investment was of no use to her at her age and she wished she had just spent the money when she had it and could have enjoyed what she had bought. :(

Once you are housed, fed and clothed money is only a means of keeping score.

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
And if you can go for new, buy at the NEC show - There are other shows, - as you can get a lot of money off and some of those little extra bits thrown in. I managed to save about £3,500 ish. Still can always get all the extras on a unit that is second hand at much cheapness off of someone who bought it brand new:rofl:

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
But if you intend to keep it for 10 years or more this is not really an issue.

It's "only" money and talking to Mum earlier in the week she said that the cheque she got from an investment was of no use to her at her age and she wished she had just spent the money when she had it and could have enjoyed what she had bought. :(

Once you are housed, fed and clothed money is only a means of keeping score.

I only gave this a like cos I couldn't find a Double Like botton

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
And if you can go for new, buy at the NEC show - There are other shows, - as you can get a lot of money off and some of those little extra bits thrown in. I managed to save about £3,500 ish. Still can always get all the extras on a unit that is second hand at much cheapness off of someone who bought it brand new:rofl:

At a German show you can save 17%

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back