Brand new to owning a Motorhome (1 Viewer)

carolynnba

Free Member
May 25, 2010
Funster No
Hi, We are picking up our very first motorhome this evening & we as a family are very excited to start using it. If anyone has any starter tips for us or if anyone knows any good sites in Lakes, Northeast, Northwest England that might interest ourselves with 12 & 14yr old kids can you let me know please. Thanks

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Hi
flyingwelcome
We've got 3 kids 2x13 1x15 .
If your not a member of the camping and caravaning club , become one!
It has lots of little cl sites (certified locations) which wont cost an arm and a leg to stay on.
They are usually very nice, and you will find them up and down the country. Some have more facilities than others , some no electricity , just a tap and an pooh dump !
We prefer to use them rather than the large Haven type sites.
But each to there own. Get a bike rack fitted ( if you haven't already ) and get out and about on your bikes. You will love it.
We are out in ours most weekends, infact we are going to the I.O.W for a week on Saturday.
We do have a TV , I pods , Nintendo's DVD players just incase though.
Teenagers being teenagers:thumb:

Oct 1, 2007
Kirby cross further from londin
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08
Not being funny try a night in your drive/garden
using only the contents of the van food clothes
water and toilet but no hook up (ehu 240v )
just show you how quick electric goes

but the real fun starts when loaded to go

and the big question comes where are we going
good luck on your travels

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Won't give you advice as you are about to get loads of it .... all good ..... so just wanted to say welcome to Motorhomefun and look forward to reading your postings about problems or good things or just gossip.... :thumb:

Alfa_Scud

Free Member
Oct 29, 2009
East Lancs
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Hiya Carolynnba & welcome,
There's plenty of experts on here to answer any questions you may have so feel free to ask away.
One initial tip I would give you is that if you're just into MH'ing (as I was a couple of years ago), write yourself a bit of a checklist i.e. things to do on arrival at site, things to do before releasing handbrake & driving away from the site.

Obvious early ones for me, were always remember to fill water before pitching - it's a pain when you've got yourself a nice pitch, park up on the levellling blocks then remember you're short of 100 litres of water for a brew & showers!:whatthe:. Also remember to empty the loo before leaving, it always seems to pong more if you empty it down the loo at home!

Site wise, the world's your lobster. If you're a CC member there's Bolton Abbey, Kendal, & Grange over Sands which are all lovely sites with full facilities & the likes of Dockray Meadow (Ennerdale Bridge) & Low Manesty (Keswick) for simpler sites, where you'd use the van's facilities. Park Coppice at Coniston is in the process of a full refurb but is due to open in August I think.

Private sites, there's Castlerigg Hall in Keswick, a lovely site, although the prices are creeping up. Then there's the National Trust site at Langdale, no electric hook up but full shower facilities, & if you want something really simple but near to things, htere's the Motorhome parking area (Aire) at Ambleside, right next to the main carpark but only £6 a night. No facilities there other than fresh water & loo disposal though.

And also for something different again, if you're a Camping & Caravanning club member, there are meets (rallies) on almost every weekend, plenty of different DA's (District Associations) organising things all over the North West & Lakes (all over the country in fact), & are usually very cheap to stay on. Some have access to showers & loos, others are just in a nice field or social club car park with nothing other than a tap & loo disposal.
The good thing about these meets is that there are generally other kids about so yours don't get bored!

Happy Camping :thumb:

dealgan

Free Member
Oct 23, 2007
Donegal, Ireland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2006
Welcome to the madhouse.
(Ooops, I mean motorhomefun ::bigsmile: )

Keep a notepad handy while you're away & just jot down the things you notice you are missing, for next time.
There's always something, or maybe that's just us :RollEyes:

Enjoy :Smile:

dellwood33

Free Member
Apr 25, 2009
Newcastle
Funster No
MH
italian crap
Exp
too long
Hi and welcome to the "Fun" forum ::bigsmile: :welcomefunster:
Some good advice given already. As regards to the North East of England - not a lot up here, best to stay away :RollEyes:::bigsmile:

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Hi and welcome to fun

Jim sells a check list on here and also a log book which we bought and think its great as Sophie (12) fills it all in all the sites we go to and loads more.

1 bit of advice id give you is dont rush out and buy loads until youve been out in van a few times and then see what you really need.

Gerry

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Big welcome. Try the C&CC site at Keswick, handy for lots of things.

Bill

Dalek

Free Member
Apr 26, 2010
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Roller Team 600
Exp
18 months
Hi and welcome. Cant really tell you what you'll need, you will know when you go out on your first trip. Happy travelling.

Dale

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Welcome. Try to get away with as little as possible for your first trip or two. If you aren't too far out in the wilds you can soon buy anything really necessary.

Buying something that seems a good idea but you never ever use is rule number one when it comes to rallying at MH shows :roflmto:

Graham

Alfa_Scud

Free Member
Oct 29, 2009
East Lancs
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Following on from my previous post re: checklist, I've found mine wot I wrote when I got the van; it may or may not help you, but feel free to crib it if you feel the need!

ARRIVING ON SITE

Fill water tank
Add water & chemical if required to toilet - NOT from drinking water tap!
Level up if required. Make sure handbrake is on & van is in gear
Turn on gas
Either plug in mains cable if on hookup & turn fridge control to 240v or
Turn on gas, switch fridge to gas & ignite. To do this press in & hold the temperature control & press the igniter button until the needle shows green on the window
Turn on water heater in wardrobe if on hookup for hot water or
Take off external cover & turn on gas heater using LH Truma dial on heater panel on wardrobe wall.
Switch power selector on control panel to leisure battery
For heating use gas heater if not on hookup, press & turn control to about 5 then press igniter until pilot can be seen in window
If on hookup, turn on space heater on switch in wardrobe & use RH truma dial to select power then inner dial to select heat. As a guide use 1000w on about 8 in Spring / Autumn. Gas can still be used as well as electric for heating if required
Turn on water pump for water

BEFORE SETTING OFF

Disconnect electric hookup if being used, put cable away if required
Switch fridge to 12v

Close all windows / skylights

Fit gas water heater cover

Turn off gas

Make sure cooker lid is down

Ensure all cupboards are closed

Ensure bottom cupboard handles are tied together

Put away loose stuff in bathroom, pink fluid in sink & tuck loo roll away

Drop off leveling blocks & pack away if needed.

Make sure all external locker doors are closed & locked

Make sure step is retracted, although it should retract automatically when engine is started

GENERAL

IT’S A DIESEL ENGINE – DON’T PUT PETROL IN IT!!
Van dimensions are printed on labels on drivers sunvisor

If running on battery only, remember to turn off lights, water pump, radio if not being used

Using battery only with no engine running should last about 4-5 days if not using TV etc

Turn off water pump at night, otherwise it periodically primes which may wake you up

Remember to take grill pan & oven tray out of plastic bags if using oven, otherwise they melt!

Keep something propped against bathroom door in transit. It sometimes swings open

On last emptying of toilet cassette, flush thoroughly then add a bit of water & a few drops of Zoflora (in bottle under cassette) to keep it smelling OK!

If using canopy, ensure legs are pegged down & use awning tie in windy weather

Turn off water heater etc when not being used

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
hi and welcome:thumb:
get yourself some of that non slip matting stuff for under things in drawers etc.
i have it in the bottom of all cupboards and even have offcuts in pans etc.
the rattles otherwise will drive you mad.:thumb:

this is the stuff here www.isagi.co.uk/multipurpose_bulk_rolls.htm

Last edited:

Mandaxxx

Free Member
Feb 19, 2010
Wherever we stop.
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Hi & welcome, we always travel with about quarter to half tank of water-just enough for the loo and a bit of a wash. Then fill up on site before sorting out pitch. yes empty the poo before travelling and the grey (waste) water you don't need to lug that around with you.
Above all don't be afraid to ask here or another MH'er on site even, they are a friendly bunch & will always help.:welcome::thumb:

eribiste

Free Member
Dec 16, 2008
Pershore
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
about 12
Very good advice given so far, as one might expect. Don't get/pack too much stuff for now, just a gas bottle, electric hook up lead, hose pipe for the water, perhaps a pair of levelling wedges.

Have a trip out to a c.l. somewhere near home for one or two nights and make some notes as you do. You'll get the feeling of adventure, but feel comfortable 'cos you're near rescue!

One thing; I never move the van without doing a pre-flight, looking underneath, all around, check every flap/door outside and in for secure latching. Stand back and look at the roof, is the tv aerial still up? If you've got corner steadies, put the handle across the steering wheel, you won't forget to raise them then!

Enjoy yourself, it's fun, and everyone you ask (in my experience) will be very willing to help, and there's no such thing as a dumb question!:Smile:

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
As mentioned earlier, the Aire in Ambleside is great for walkers, cyclists, BBQrs, Shopping etc as it is in the centre of the town

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back