Brand new thetford fridge roaring! (1 Viewer)

dna

Jan 17, 2010
Llandudno
Funster No
MH
AT Tribute 680 pvc
Exp
since 2009
we are on our first shakedown trip in a new van. The fridge lights ok on gas and a quiet blue flame is visible through the bottom external vent.
Shortly after this the flame increases and turns yellow/orange and makes a roaring sound. This can’t be right can it? I’ve tried a few times with the same result.
Previous van fridges have always been been quiet.

Second question, we are parked up on the sea front for the day in very strong winds. I’ve noticed a draft coming into the van around the fridge casing. That doesn’t seem right either?

Do we add both of these to the snagging list for the dealer (along with the missing doors from the bathroom cabinet amongst other things) or is there anything we can check?

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Roaring fridge flame, strong winds blowing through vent?
Think you have the answer.
Turn the van round so the fridge vent is away from the wind and try again.

Richard.

sparky

Free Member
Feb 19, 2008
bingley yorkshire
Funster No
MH
a class burstner aviano i
Exp
30 years
My new Burstner years ago did the same roaring at night kept me awake the dealer fitted a modified burner jet and as been quite ever since

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
If it isn't wind affecting the fridge do have it checked. An orange or yellow flame if not caused by wind indicates incomplete combustion = a sooty flue and CO production.

Fridges are rarely properly room sealed. If the draught affects comfort have it fixed. I've owned a caravan that filled the cutlery drawer with snow through the fridge vents :D.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Definitely get the seal around the fridge done there should not be any drafts from around it as it should be sealed. Warranty work (y)(y)(y)

OP
OP
dna

dna

Jan 17, 2010
Llandudno
Funster No
MH
AT Tribute 680 pvc
Exp
since 2009
Thanks everyone. I should have said I tried the fridge on gas last night when not windy.
I will talk to dealer about it and may ask how they pdi tested the fridge with the gas tank empty

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back