Brand new thetford fridge roaring!

Discussion in 'Fridges & Ovens' started by dna, Sep 6, 2018.

1. dna

dna Funster

Ratings:
    +355
    we are on our first shakedown trip in a new van. The fridge lights ok on gas and a quiet blue flame is visible through the bottom external vent.
    Shortly after this the flame increases and turns yellow/orange and makes a roaring sound. This can’t be right can it? I’ve tried a few times with the same result.
    Previous van fridges have always been been quiet.

Second question, we are parked up on the sea front for the day in very strong winds. I’ve noticed a draft coming into the van around the fridge casing. That doesn’t seem right either?

Do we add both of these to the snagging list for the dealer (along with the missing doors from the bathroom cabinet amongst other things) or is there anything we can check?

2. Clarky

Clarky Funster

Ratings:
    +5,876
    Roaring fridge flame, strong winds blowing through vent?
    Think you have the answer.
    Turn the van round so the fridge vent is away from the wind and try again.

Richard.

3. sparky

sparky Funster

Ratings:
    +48
    My new Burstner years ago did the same roaring at night kept me awake the dealer fitted a modified burner jet and as been quite ever since

4. tonyidle

tonyidle Funster

Ratings:
    +8,141
    If it isn't wind affecting the fridge do have it checked. An orange or yellow flame if not caused by wind indicates incomplete combustion = a sooty flue and CO production.

Fridges are rarely properly room sealed. If the draught affects comfort have it fixed. I've owned a caravan that filled the cutlery drawer with snow through the fridge vents :D.

5. Speve

Speve Funster

Ratings:
    +4,646
    Definitely get the seal around the fridge done there should not be any drafts from around it as it should be sealed. Warranty work (y)(y)(y)

6. dna

dna Funster

Ratings:
    +355
    Thanks everyone. I should have said I tried the fridge on gas last night when not windy.
    I will talk to dealer about it and may ask how they pdi tested the fridge with the gas tank empty