Nov 15, 2015
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 300
Exp
I am New
Hi Everyone
This is my first post. I have finally bought a Motorhome, a dream of mine for years.
I have purchased a 2005 Elddis Autoquest. Probably not the best time of year to buy but we saw it and fell in love with it and took the plunge.

I plan to have a few local trips before I retire in May and then it's off to Europe for what I hope to be a 10 Country tour!

I would really appreciate any advice, tips about Motorhoming and any ideas about good areas to see in Europe.
A silly question but are you allowed to just stop in a layby etc in Europe or is it illegal/dangerous? This is how naïve I am!

Thank You for reading

swidy

Free Member
Apr 3, 2011
wakefield
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2009
:welc:from Yorkshire ask away

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
Hi Canary Glenn and:welc:. We all have to start somewhere, jump in at the deep end why don'tcha.

Plenty of advice on here about French lay-byes (Aires) I've just retired myself so might see you out there.

You're in good company in Norwich, having said that I suppose I should ask if you're a close friend of..Nah it won't make any difference anyway.

You haven't got webbed feet have you? :wink:....... Griff

May 30, 2012
Bristol
Funster No
MH
PVC Vantage Neo
Exp
25 years
Welcome, our first van was an Elddis and we loved it. Loads of useful info on here!

injebreck99

Free Member
Dec 5, 2011
norfolk
Funster No
MH
Low profile C Class
Exp
Since 1997
Hi, welcome to the Norfolk Mafia, if you need any advice locally, servicing etc, PM me for info.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Hiya neighbour, welcome to fun and congratulations , great times ahead (y)

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Hi and welcome, mainland Europe is so much more motorhome friendly compared to UK. Have a look at the French Aires system which is a place for MH's to stay a night or two, make sure you don't get mixed up with motorway Aires they're more like service stations and not great for overnighting.

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
Hello
girl-waving-hand-gesture-smiley-emoticon.gif

Try searching "Aires" in the search box and you'll find loads of info about them.
Have a look at

Broken Link Removed

Vicarious books sell "All the Aires" which gives a lot of info

And pay your subs to become a full member & ask loads of questions

Apr 25, 2012
Near Truro, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Hi and welcome! I find that half the fun in making a long journey is in planning where and when (in general terms) to go. You can read and learn loads on European travelling on this site, in the MMM, which always has articles on readers travels, and you can buy books on how to prepare (have a look at Vicarious Books website) and then you can decide whether to use Aires, campsites or a mix. Get the All the Aires books and an ACSI card from Vicarious Books too. You will feel a little nervous for the first few days out, but it is amazing how quickly you drop into th lifestyle, which is unbeatable. Gary

LAM

Apr 23, 2014
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Chausson 640 Welcome
Exp
Began with the purchase of our first, ever MH in 2014
:welc: Canary Glenn, I too have the same van type (not withstanding the model ?!). We are only '1 year virgins', gosh haven't used that word in many a year !!!!! Our first trip was to Europe and made a very expensive (novice) mistake in not being a member of ACSI. Have since rectified that and with only a couple of trips have more than reaped the rewards ! We have also been around the UK (a bit). Off to see the 'Festival of Light' at Longleat (Wiltshire) this weekend as we missed it last year. Have invested in many clubs which all are helpful for various reasons. I think once you decide on where you and what you want things will fall into place. Enjoy your travels, maybe we will meet at some rally/meet, also a great thing to do !! :party2:

Brian and Jo

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 24, 2007
oswestry,shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class N+B Arto 88F
Exp
Been motorhoming for 15yrs.had an American RV for 7yrs,Now got a Niesmann Bischoff Arto 88F
Hi there and welcome to MHF(y)
Brian & Jo

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
:welc:
You are spoilt for choice ,especially in France with places to stop.

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
I hope your new toy brings lots of miles, laughter and of course fun. Ask here and someone will know. Welcome.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Hi Everyone
This is my first post. I have finally bought a Motorhome, a dream of mine for years.
I have purchased a 2005 Elddis Autoquest. Probably not the best time of year to buy but we saw it and fell in love with it and took the plunge.

I plan to have a few local trips before I retire in May and then it's off to Europe for what I hope to be a 10 Country tour!

I would really appreciate any advice, tips about Motorhoming and any ideas about good areas to see in Europe.
A silly question but are you allowed to just stop in a layby etc in Europe or is it illegal/dangerous? This is how naïve I am!

Thank You for reading
Welcome!

If you are leaving in May I suggest head south for the best weather, so perhaps through France to Spain, you could then work back to Italy where there is a lot to see in the north. Lots to see in the far south too but its a long way. After that entirely up to you, stay in the south of Europe accepting it gets mega hot in high summer or explore northern Europe, Norway is spectacular if you want to go that far.

As to where to stop I can only suggest see what works for you. There are folk who almost exclusively wild camp, others only use aires and wouldn't be seen dead in a campsite. When we started we used campsites but now use a mixture of aires and sites. You can certainly wild camp but you can get moved on in some places but the advantage of aires is most of them have facilities for waste dumping and taking on fresh water. Give them all a go and then decide which is best for your style of travelling.

OP
OP
Canary Glenn

Canary Glenn

Free Member
Nov 15, 2015
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 300
Exp
I am New
Thank you for all your replies. I feel welcome already. Can't wait to get started

Oct 18, 2012
Wortham Diss
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
Motorhomed for almost 7 years - now going nowhere!
:welc:Welcome Glenn - we're another couple living in Norfolk. Suggestion! sign up for John @Jaws meet and get to know other locals. (You have to be a paid up member £15 a year)

Pamela and Derek

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Hello and welcome we were so excited with our first van and trips out ! On our 3rd van and still just as excited when we set off , you will have a wonderful time ! ENJOY!

etap

Free Member
Nov 19, 2014
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 610
Exp
3 years
Welcome and good travelling.
You can stop on lay-bys also service areas, but you put yourself at risk, far better to stay on Aires or campsites, I assume you are talking about overnight,
Good luck.

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
Hi welcome to the Fun

You will love your first trip into Europe mainland.
(y)

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
:welc:

Everything that's been said above. Just one point - don't try to travel too far too quickly; take your time. We made that mistake on our first trip and all we saw was miles (sorry kilometres) of tarmac. If you see something interesting STOP - don't put it on a "we'll come back to it" list. You never do.

Feb 14, 2014
Ainsworth, Bolton, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2011
Hi and welcome to fun. We started motor homing last March after having a VW camper.
Been to France 3 times already used a mix of aires and campsites invested in All The Aires book and ACSI both invaluable. Enjoy::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back