Brand new desktop computer - is this change possible?

Discussion in 'Computers' started by veevee, Mar 27, 2018.

1. veevee

veevee Funster

Ratings:
    +1,751
    Bought a new desktop computer 2 years ago and due to circumstances opened the box but never even lifted it out. Intend to start using it in about a month's time, we're not where it is at the moment.

Specified W7 operating system but have decided it's time to use W10 just to stay current, not really because of preference. We use a desktop for our small business stuff, lots of photos are stored and the use of a large separate screen is important.

Have a question for those who understand software.

Having never ever started the desktop is it possible to remove W7 and install a full W10 system in it's place?

I have in the past upgraded a laptop from W8? to W10 but that wasn't that successful as it appeared to draw on both systems and slowed the laptop down, I am thinking about complete removal of W7 and a new install.

Is this possible for a mere mortal or is it a case of a geek has to do this as W7 is difficult to remove?

Thanks very much for any help, all will be appreciated. We are on the road at the moment and wont have regular internet for another 2 weeks so not ignoring any replies.

2. olley

olley Funster

Ratings:
    +9,224
    Buy a W10 upgrade disk.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. veevee

veevee Funster

Ratings:
    +1,751
    Thanks olley, just added above that I did that with a laptop and it didn't turn out as successful as had hoped

4. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +30,289
    Why on earth would you want windows 10 over Windows 7.
    7 was a much better and user freindly OS

• Like it Like it x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. Pernickety

Pernickety Funster

Ratings:
    +77
    Should be able to install right over the top and just reformat the disk.

Officially the upgrades have ended so may well have to install Windows 10 afresh anyhow. There might well still be loopholes to upgrade for free (not officially) but that probably is Geek stuff. Just do a search on Windows 7 to 10 upgrade.

Otherwise installing is usually fairly simple, just follow the prompts, however if there's something in the hardware that Windows doesn't like you won't find this out until you try. Best idea if you're concerned about it is to have a friendly young Geek on call in case of teething problems :)

You might find any issues get resolved once you can do a WIndows update to refresh the drivers in whatever image your using to install from.

Andy.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. TerryL

TerryL Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +3,894
    When W10 was introduced, MS gave users of W8 ( & 7 I think?) a free upgrade for a limited period. My suggestion would be to start up your new system in W7 then get the MS upgrade to W10. Don't know the cost but may be cheaper than buying a W10 disk. Once W10 is installed and running correctly it is quite easy to remove the old OS.

When I upgraded, both desktop and laptop, I retained the old system (W8.1) until I was happy all was okay then deleted it - it's quite easy to do. It is a bit different and takes a little getting used to.

I'm no computer geek but I just followed the instructions on the screen and, apart from waiting for ages whilst W10 installed, had no problems at all. Oh yes, just remembered, there were quite a lot of updates but they may have been cut back now that there has been a new issue of W10.

I'll not enter into the argument about W7 v W10. IMO the earlier OS ended up as a good working system; W8 was a bit of a disaster although W8.1 resolved most of it. But I find W10 to be noticeably faster on my, admittedly elderly, machines for the things I use it for.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. veevee

veevee Funster

Ratings:
    +1,751
    Agree with your sentiment as W7 is useful to everybody, where's as W10 appears to be designed for those that know (young people in general?). But also starting to find that W7 isn't included in all aspects of the internet now unless lengthy work-arounds are used, and spend too much time on internet already.

Think there's an element of trying hard not to be a reactionary too, MS will only go forward from here and best go with it.

8. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +40,432

I got the free W10 upgrade from 7. A year on I changed to Linux Mint to get rid of the awful W10.

Then I needed Windows for some old software and I bought a copy of W7 to run it.

But 99.99% of the time I find Linux Mint a delight.

• Like it Like it x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. Pernickety

Pernickety Funster

Ratings:
    +77
    I actually find that running two Linux virtual machines under W10 works well (3 computers in one, Windows sits in the background and never sees the Internet), but that's kinda getting off track.

10. TerryL

TerryL Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +3,894
    Trouble is, that means absolutely nothing to me!

• Like it Like it x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. Pernickety

Pernickety Funster

Ratings:
    +77
    It's just a way of using a Windows machine to reach the Internet without Windows ever seeing the Internet, which means you avoid all those compulsory updates that break your system and all that nasty stuff that tries to take advantage of Windows flaws, but you still get to chat on MotorhomeFun :)

12. veevee

veevee Funster

Ratings:
    +1,751
    Can I rent you at least once a week?

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

Ratings:
    +6,045
    Perhaps you could sell it. There must be people who would like to buy a new W7 machine as only W10 now available.
    When my W7 desktop gives up the ghost I shall probably move to Linux rather thsn W10.

• Like it Like it x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  14. hilldweller

Ratings:
    +40,432
    I don't understand that. If Linux can see the internet why can't W10 ?

Why not just run Linux on it's own ?

15. motorhomer

motorhomer

Ratings:
    +458
    Going to Linux is like going back in time. If you really want an operating system that requires gobbledegook instructions in a "terminal" then fine. Buts its almost like going back to DOS in some ways. For the vast majority of users forget Linux, windows is massively more user friendly. Windows 7 was good but Windows 10 is every bit as good and I would say more comprehensive. Windows 8 was a mistake!
    OP will have to buy windows 10 in some form and either update or install over. Question is whether his PC has anything else on it he may want. If so he would be better doing the update as other stuff would be preserved. Otherwise reformat and a clean install.

16. Pernickety

Pernickety Funster

Ratings:
    +77
    Only if I can rent you do do this self-build for me :LOL:
    Windows network adapter is configured for a restricted subnet, can't see the ADSL router, doesn't know its there. Bridged network adapter in the VM piggy backs off the Windows adapter but sees the full subnet, gets an IP address from the ADSL via DHCP.
    For the same reason you gave above, "I needed Windows for some old software" :)

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  17. hilldweller

Ratings:
    +40,432
    I think you are living in the past. Sat in front of this Mint PC you have to look closely to work out it's not windows. I run Libre Office, Firefox and Thunderbird ( all come pre-installed ) just as I did under Windows.

Last week, I put Mint on my wife's PC because of constant moans of "SLOW". She is as un-tech as any PC user but once I bookmarked her favourites I've not been troubled by her.

What has struck me with Windows now is how much scamming and selling is going on, Linux is just about totally free.

Naturally, as you said, if OP has Windows specific software to run he's stuffed.

18. Pernickety

Pernickety Funster

Ratings:
    +77
    You're describing Linux from years ago, way ahead of Windows for GUI usability now and so much more reliable, which is why most of the Internet runs on it. The 'gobbledegook' is still available which is why it's the powerful and configurable system that it is. But powerful and configurable isn't for everyone. There's one version of Windows, one version of the Mac, but over a thousand versions of Linux and that choice alone would send many folks running. Some mornings I can't get much further than making the tea and swiping on an iPad.
    Each system has its use though and it seems daft to me to limit yourself to one. When I need Sketchup I use WIndows, Facetime it's an iPad, but for anything serious it's Linux (in one flavour or another).

Agreed, it's not for your average computer user, but actually I find Windows to be the least 'friendly' of the three main operating systems out there.

19. Clarky

Clarky Funster

Ratings:
    +6,275
    Just forget all this complication and buy a Mac.
    As the great Steve Jobs used to say "It just works". :D:D:reel:

Richard.

20. peterc10

peterc10 Funster

Ratings:
    +8,741
    I have Windows 10 machine and it is excellent. It just works. Much quicker to open and close than W7, comparable, if not better than, Apple macs. And no dreaded blue screen of death. All the software I used with W7 still works including stuff that I have had for well over 10 years. And it reconises and uses all my peripherals.

• Thanks Thanks x 2