Brand new desktop computer - is this change possible? (1 Viewer)

Jul 4, 2010
Essex / central France
Funster No
MH
Hymer Star Line 680
Exp
9 years
Bought a new desktop computer 2 years ago and due to circumstances opened the box but never even lifted it out. Intend to start using it in about a month's time, we're not where it is at the moment.

Specified W7 operating system but have decided it's time to use W10 just to stay current, not really because of preference. We use a desktop for our small business stuff, lots of photos are stored and the use of a large separate screen is important.

Have a question for those who understand software.

Having never ever started the desktop is it possible to remove W7 and install a full W10 system in it's place?

I have in the past upgraded a laptop from W8? to W10 but that wasn't that successful as it appeared to draw on both systems and slowed the laptop down, I am thinking about complete removal of W7 and a new install.

Is this possible for a mere mortal or is it a case of a geek has to do this as W7 is difficult to remove?

Thanks very much for any help, all will be appreciated. We are on the road at the moment and wont have regular internet for another 2 weeks so not ignoring any replies.

OP
OP
V
Jul 4, 2010
Essex / central France
Funster No
MH
Hymer Star Line 680
Exp
9 years
Thanks olley, just added above that I did that with a laptop and it didn't turn out as successful as had hoped

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Pernickety

Free Member
Mar 4, 2018
Scottyland, the boring bit in the middle
Funster No
MH
None, still looking
Exp
Should be able to install right over the top and just reformat the disk.

Officially the upgrades have ended so may well have to install Windows 10 afresh anyhow. There might well still be loopholes to upgrade for free (not officially) but that probably is Geek stuff. Just do a search on Windows 7 to 10 upgrade.

Otherwise installing is usually fairly simple, just follow the prompts, however if there's something in the hardware that Windows doesn't like you won't find this out until you try. Best idea if you're concerned about it is to have a friendly young Geek on call in case of teething problems :)

You might find any issues get resolved once you can do a WIndows update to refresh the drivers in whatever image your using to install from.

Andy.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
When W10 was introduced, MS gave users of W8 ( & 7 I think?) a free upgrade for a limited period. My suggestion would be to start up your new system in W7 then get the MS upgrade to W10. Don't know the cost but may be cheaper than buying a W10 disk. Once W10 is installed and running correctly it is quite easy to remove the old OS.

When I upgraded, both desktop and laptop, I retained the old system (W8.1) until I was happy all was okay then deleted it - it's quite easy to do. It is a bit different and takes a little getting used to.

I'm no computer geek but I just followed the instructions on the screen and, apart from waiting for ages whilst W10 installed, had no problems at all. Oh yes, just remembered, there were quite a lot of updates but they may have been cut back now that there has been a new issue of W10.

I'll not enter into the argument about W7 v W10. IMO the earlier OS ended up as a good working system; W8 was a bit of a disaster although W8.1 resolved most of it. But I find W10 to be noticeably faster on my, admittedly elderly, machines for the things I use it for.

OP
OP
V
Jul 4, 2010
Essex / central France
Funster No
MH
Hymer Star Line 680
Exp
9 years
Why on earth would you want windows 10 over Windows 7.
7 was a much better and user freindly OS

Agree with your sentiment as W7 is useful to everybody, where's as W10 appears to be designed for those that know (young people in general?). But also starting to find that W7 isn't included in all aspects of the internet now unless lengthy work-arounds are used, and spend too much time on internet already.

Think there's an element of trying hard not to be a reactionary too, MS will only go forward from here and best go with it.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Why on earth would you want windows 10 over Windows 7.
7 was a much better and user freindly OS

I got the free W10 upgrade from 7. A year on I changed to Linux Mint to get rid of the awful W10.

Then I needed Windows for some old software and I bought a copy of W7 to run it.

But 99.99% of the time I find Linux Mint a delight.

Pernickety

Free Member
Mar 4, 2018
Funster No
MH
None, still looking
Exp
I actually find that running two Linux virtual machines under W10 works well (3 computers in one, Windows sits in the background and never sees the Internet), but that's kinda getting off track.

Pernickety

Free Member
Mar 4, 2018
Funster No
MH
None, still looking
Exp
It's just a way of using a Windows machine to reach the Internet without Windows ever seeing the Internet, which means you avoid all those compulsory updates that break your system and all that nasty stuff that tries to take advantage of Windows flaws, but you still get to chat on MotorhomeFun :)

OP
OP
V
Jul 4, 2010
Essex / central France
Funster No
MH
Hymer Star Line 680
Exp
9 years
It's just a way of using a Windows machine to reach the Internet without Windows ever seeing the Internet, which means you avoid all those compulsory updates that break your system and all that nasty stuff that tries to take advantage of Windows flaws, but you still get to chat on MotorhomeFun :)

Can I rent you at least once a week?

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Perhaps you could sell it. There must be people who would like to buy a new W7 machine as only W10 now available.
When my W7 desktop gives up the ghost I shall probably move to Linux rather thsn W10.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I actually find that running two Linux virtual machines under W10 works well (3 computers in one, Windows sits in the background and never sees the Internet)

I don't understand that. If Linux can see the internet why can't W10 ?

Why not just run Linux on it's own ?

motorhomer

Free Member
May 17, 2008
South Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005 (but 30 years caravanning)
Going to Linux is like going back in time. If you really want an operating system that requires gobbledegook instructions in a "terminal" then fine. Buts its almost like going back to DOS in some ways. For the vast majority of users forget Linux, windows is massively more user friendly. Windows 7 was good but Windows 10 is every bit as good and I would say more comprehensive. Windows 8 was a mistake!
OP will have to buy windows 10 in some form and either update or install over. Question is whether his PC has anything else on it he may want. If so he would be better doing the update as other stuff would be preserved. Otherwise reformat and a clean install.

Pernickety

Free Member
Mar 4, 2018
Funster No
MH
None, still looking
Exp
Can I rent you at least once a week?
Only if I can rent you do do this self-build for me :LOL:
I don't understand that. If Linux can see the internet why can't W10 ?
Windows network adapter is configured for a restricted subnet, can't see the ADSL router, doesn't know its there. Bridged network adapter in the VM piggy backs off the Windows adapter but sees the full subnet, gets an IP address from the ADSL via DHCP.
Why not just run Linux on it's own
For the same reason you gave above, "I needed Windows for some old software" :)

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Going to Linux is like going back in time..

I think you are living in the past. Sat in front of this Mint PC you have to look closely to work out it's not windows. I run Libre Office, Firefox and Thunderbird ( all come pre-installed ) just as I did under Windows.

Last week, I put Mint on my wife's PC because of constant moans of "SLOW". She is as un-tech as any PC user but once I bookmarked her favourites I've not been troubled by her.

What has struck me with Windows now is how much scamming and selling is going on, Linux is just about totally free.

Naturally, as you said, if OP has Windows specific software to run he's stuffed.

Pernickety

Free Member
Mar 4, 2018
Funster No
MH
None, still looking
Exp
Going to Linux is like going back in time. If you really want an operating system that requires gobbledegook instructions in a "terminal" then fine. Buts its almost like going back to DOS in some ways.
You're describing Linux from years ago, way ahead of Windows for GUI usability now and so much more reliable, which is why most of the Internet runs on it. The 'gobbledegook' is still available which is why it's the powerful and configurable system that it is. But powerful and configurable isn't for everyone. There's one version of Windows, one version of the Mac, but over a thousand versions of Linux and that choice alone would send many folks running. Some mornings I can't get much further than making the tea and swiping on an iPad.
Each system has its use though and it seems daft to me to limit yourself to one. When I need Sketchup I use WIndows, Facetime it's an iPad, but for anything serious it's Linux (in one flavour or another).

For the vast majority of users forget Linux, windows is massively more user friendly.
Agreed, it's not for your average computer user, but actually I find Windows to be the least 'friendly' of the three main operating systems out there.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
I have Windows 10 machine and it is excellent. It just works. Much quicker to open and close than W7, comparable, if not better than, Apple macs. And no dreaded blue screen of death. All the software I used with W7 still works including stuff that I have had for well over 10 years. And it reconises and uses all my peripherals.

Parapilot

Free Member
Dec 29, 2015
Whiston
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
6 years
Having never ever started the desktop is it possible to remove W7 and install a full W10 system in it's place?

No need to uninstall W7 and don't try, as it contains your license key.

When you first run the PC it will want to download a LOT of updates. One of these will eventually be the option to update to W10 (it is still free). Very simple and straightforward but do it before you start using the PC properly or putting any personal files or programs on it - that way you will get a clean install without losing anything.

If it doesn't do it automatically PM me and I will send a link to the MS tool that will download the W10 update and install it.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Nah, you've all lost me! W10 works just fine on my machines, which incidentally do quite a bit more than just browse the internet. I know it all works so going to leave it at that.

I'll stay a dinosauir!

OP
OP
V
Jul 4, 2010
Essex / central France
Funster No
MH
Hymer Star Line 680
Exp
9 years
Just grabbed some internet sitting in Union Station New Orleans, thanks for all the help and pointers. Will reply fully in a couple if days.

motorhomer

Free Member
May 17, 2008
South Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005 (but 30 years caravanning)
You're describing Linux from years ago, way ahead of Windows for GUI usability now and so much more reliable, which is why most of the Internet runs on it. The 'gobbledegook' is still available which is why it's the powerful and configurable system that it is. But powerful and configurable isn't for everyone. There's one version of Windows, one version of the Mac, but over a thousand versions of Linux and that choice alone would send many folks running. Some mornings I can't get much further than making the tea and swiping on an iPad.
Each system has its use though and it seems daft to me to limit yourself to one. When I need Sketchup I use WIndows, Facetime it's an iPad, but for anything serious it's Linux (in one flavour or another).
Actually I am describing it from about 18 months ago.I installed it on a laptop as much as anything to try it out. (by the way I have worked with computers all my life and have used many operating systems on lots of machines). All went well until the sound stopped working. I then discovered that there were 3 different places - all accessible via the terminal and gobbledegook instructions - from where different aspects of the sound were controlled. I failed to get it working so eventually put windows 10 on the machine. Guess what - the sound just worked. Linux certainly is robust and has its place, I just don't think its on most people's home computers!

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Using Mint Cinnamon 16 \ 17 \ 18 over the last few years with three \ four different sound cards and everyone worked fine. Had to install additional graphics drivers for an NVidia card though.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
In reality most people, like me, just want their computer to work and get on with what they want to do. They're not interested in the nuts and bolts, or installing additional drivers or other gubbins.

For those people Windows, in whatever iteration they use, is the easiest which is why Microsoft have effectively cornered the market.

I'm not decrying other OS, but the number of computers using Windows against them just proves the point.

SMB

Apr 26, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Fulltiming since February 2013
Another one for W10, my old Acer was originally on W7 and was quite slow compared to my newer mac air but now it boots up really quickly, I thought with the Intel security fix it would have slowed down but, if it has, I haven't noticed

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
.I installed it on a laptop as much as anything to try it out.

What "it" is the question ? There may be too may versions of Linux for it's own good.

I tried Mint on a lovely old 10 inch Netbook ( perfect size for MH ) that had XP on it, it just ground to a halt. Mint is as power hungry as Widows and why not it's doing much the same job. It lives on with XP back on it though with little or no use now.

OP
OP
V
Jul 4, 2010
Essex / central France
Funster No
MH
Hymer Star Line 680
Exp
9 years
OP will have to buy windows 10 in some form and either update or install over. Question is whether his PC has anything else on it he may want. If so he would be better doing the update as other stuff would be preserved. Otherwise reformat and a clean install.

It has nothing on it except W7, no extra software added at it's build

Only if I can rent you do do this self-build for me :LOL:

If you can work out how long your self-build will take at 2 hours a week maybe we can do a deal. I'd need you for life!

No need to uninstall W7 and don't try, as it contains your license key.

When you first run the PC it will want to download a LOT of updates. One of these will eventually be the option to update to W10 (it is still free). Very simple and straightforward but do it before you start using the PC properly or putting any personal files or programs on it - that way you will get a clean install without losing anything.

If it doesn't do it automatically PM me and I will send a link to the MS tool that will download the W10 update and install it.

Thanks that's very kind. Don't expect to need help but nice to know.

Pernickety

Free Member
Mar 4, 2018
Funster No
MH
None, still looking
Exp
Just grabbed some internet sitting in Union Station New Orleans, thanks for all the help and pointers.
New Orleans? Problem solved then, you should have said so before. Doesn't Bill Gates live over that way? Just pop in, ask for a cup of tea and tell him how wonderful his old operating system is, before asking, "Oh and by the way..."
Better not mention Linux though ;)
If you can work out how long your self-build will take at 2 hours a week maybe we can do a deal.
Two hours a week? I'll spend that long just trying to measure where to mark up me first roof window.

You may find that W7 to W10 goes smoothly, fingers crossed, but if the W7 part is important to you then it may be best to run a full backup first so you're covered in case you don't like the W10 result. It's sometimes nice to know you can step back like that.

No idea how this thread got onto such a Linux rant, hopefully I'm not entirely to blame :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back