Brand new Auto-Trail Tribute 670 - My Experience so far

Discussion in 'Auto-Trail' started by sludgesurfer, May 2, 2018.

1. ramsthom

ramsthom Funster

Ratings:
    +155
    There was no mention of millage when we ordered out motorhome last November just the cost of £600 to extend the warranty from 2 to 5 years. Last week when we took delivery it had increased to £870. With reference to the extended warranty where mileages are mentioned is this with Fiat Professional as the mileage of 60,000 seems to be for a van not a motorhome.

2. ludo

ludo Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +1,230
    The Fiat extended warranty has to be taken out at a Fiat Professional dealership and it is for a motorhome, not a van!

3. raysalaugh

raysalaugh Funster

Ratings:
    +461
    Possibly the cost increases when they become more aware of the likelihood of problems with reliability.

Ray

4. ludo

ludo Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +1,230

Try to go to https://www.fiatcamper.com/en/product/fiat-ducato-camper-van

Then call the freephone number, 00 800 342 811 11, and ask your questions. All will be revealed from the horses mouth. (y)

5. ludo

ludo Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +1,230
    Incidentally, when you sell your van the extended warranty stays with the van. A benefit to the new owner and a good selling point.

If you have a serious costly problem, gearbox, engine, turbo, etc., you will be pleased that you have it. In our view, it is worth every penny and backed by Fiat!

6. ramsthom

ramsthom Funster

Ratings:
    +155
    Having thought about all the options and advice regarding the extended Fiat warranty I contacted two Fiat Proffesional dealers who service motorhomes and was told the extended warranty cannot be set up through them, only through Fiat themselves. Contacted Fiat and was informed it can only be set up through Fiat Proffesional . What a run around. I finally found it can only be set up through Autotrail via the purchasing dealer at a price of £866 to extend it from 2 to 5 years. No options on the number of years or mileage and only up to 15 days after purchase.

7. ludo

ludo Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +1,230
    Not quite correct!

The last Globecar we bought had the extended warranty applied by Ford and Slater, commercial dealers for DAF and Fiat Professional and not a motorhome dealer.

Our current Globecar was bought from SMC Newark who, although Globecar, Pilote, Frankia and Autosleeper dealers, are not Fiat Professional dealers and could not, therefore, sell the Fiat extended warranty or deal with Fiat warranty isssues.

Instead, the extended warranty was sold and applied by Brownhills, Newark, who are Fiat Professional dealers, in September last year.

Furthermore, there is a choice of mileages but the price difference is so little that we went for the 60,000 mile choice.

As a matter of interest, did you buy the extended warranty?

Last edited: May 8, 2018
  8. ramsthom

ramsthom Funster

Ratings:
    +155
    Yes just bought it. When did you do yours as i think it may have changed. The mileage was up to 100,000mls only.

9. ludo

ludo Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +1,230
    We bought the van new and took delivery on 1st September last year. The extended warranty was purchased the same day from Brownhills. I could have also bought the extended warranty from Lowdhams but in the event went to Brownhills.

10. motorhomer

motorhomer Funster

Ratings:
    +431
    This confuses 2 quite different things. As the poster quite rightly says the consumer rights act does give you rights, but they are time limited to 6 years (5 in Scotland) and you have to show that it was an inherent fault in the product, and also your rights are with the people you bought from, ie the dealer not the manufacturer. Does not include normal wear and tear.
    A warranty is entirely optional, is often given by manufacturers and your warranty contract is between you and whoever issues the warranty. They can put any terms in they like.
    So if not covered by a warranty a fault MIGHT be covered under the Consumer Rights act but the burden of proof is on you (after 6 months I think).

11. ABZSteve

ABZSteve Funster

Ratings:
    +1,604
    Not in my case it wasn't. Paid my dealer £600 for it, they registered it with Fiat and I am good to go.