Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
We weighed ours quite a while back we loaded it with as much winter stuff as poss, water etc.
Found we still had some spare.
then we up-plated it to 3850 so we know now just how much stuff we can carry and still be ok.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Where would I get it weighed folks
I’m in NG17 Area
Here you go Baden87.

Weighbridges
There are 14 public weighbridges in Nottinghamshire where you can check the weight of vehicles or livestock up to three tonnes.

See weighbridge locations and contact details [Word].

We weigh ours once a year, usually on our way across the water, when in full holiday mode.

If you present yourself at a VOSA weighbridge, they will print off a ticket, but not charge you. The problem is, that if you turn out to be overloaded, you will have created yourself a problem, if you can't dump enough water, or redistribute some of the load to take you under. :(

Good luck,

Jock. :)

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Axel weights are what can catch you out. You might be ok over all in weight but overweight say on the rear axel. The police do prosecute on axel weight as well as total.
And if overweight on both axles and gross you get 3 fines. A guy in the Hymer club got done on one of the M1 services a few years ago got three £60 fines.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jonno1103

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2017
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
F Line F70
Exp
Since 2012
Roller Teams 2020 brochure has removed all of the MIRO and payload figures from the tech specs, they just give the gross now... Interesting.

A 2020 Apache 634 only has a 350 kg payload when up plated to 3650 kg. It only has a 60L fuel tank too.

As a scenario, an up plated 634 with an engine upgrade, auto box, media pack, tank heaters, 2nd battery, coffee table and 5yr body warranty increase with cost you £69,597 and give you a maximum payload of 320 kg's...

Last edited:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
As a scenario, an up plated 634 with an engine upgrade, auto box, media pack, tank heaters, 2nd battery, coffee table and 5yr body warranty increase with cost you £69,597 and give you a maximum payload of 320 kg's...
Stupid money not even an A Class, I only paid a couple of k more than that for my Hymer with 135Okg payload. And I had €15k of options. But that's why I buy in Belgium. ?

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
My Rapido has been uprated to 4000kg but the front axle is tight, though not overweight, even though there's really nothing much I can move at the front. Its the larger 3L engine that does it. if it had a transverse bed with garage rather than the washroom across the back I could load heavy stuff to move the weight backwards. The best I can manage is a back box and obviously the weight that can carry is limited. I must remember to move the jack from under the passenger footwell, that must help a bit, especially if it goes in the back box.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
My Rapido has been uprated to 4000kg but the front axle is tight, though not overweight, even though there's really nothing much I can move at the front. Its the larger 3L engine that does it. if it had a transverse bed with garage rather than the washroom across the back I could load heavy stuff to move the weight backwards. The best I can manage is a back box and obviously the weight that can carry is limited. I must remember to move the jack from under the passenger footwell, that must help a bit, especially if it goes in the back box.
You could fit uprated front springs assuming your front axle is 2100 that would update it to 2300kg.

Jonno1103

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2017
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
F Line F70
Exp
Since 2012
Stupid money not even an A Class, I only paid a couple of k more than that for my Hymer with 135Okg payload. And I had €15k of options. But that's why I buy in Belgium. ?

Judging by the payloads of Trackers and Apache's compared to the similar specced but lighter and nearly 10k cheaper Imala's I have a feeling Auto Trail will be phasing them out sooner rather than later. The new Euro designed Tributes will also effect their sales too.

Lenny we only wanted a small two berth and lose the trailer we had to have with our Tracker hence the reason we sold it for the small Pegaso - still 3500kg but the payload is more than double.

Regardless of the build quality debates, British vans will simply loose out to European built vans at higher UK prices offering specific UK appealing options (ovens etc) simply because they have a lot more usable payload.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Should
what makes you think its overloaded busby? does every one weigh there motorhomes before going out ?
Should weigh it at least once when it is loaded with all your goods etc that you tour with,plus of course the driver and passengers.Ignorance is no defence if you are pulled and weighed..BUSBY.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Should

Should weigh it at least once when it is loaded with all your goods etc that you tour with,plus of course the driver and passengers.Ignorance is no defence if you are pulled and weighed..BUSBY.
I totally agree busby, but I'm not sure that Baden87 sees it that way, judging by the lack of response to advice from others. :(

Jock. :(

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
I totally agree busby, but I'm not sure that Baden87 sees it that way, judging by the lack of response to advice from others. :(

Alas I think a lot of people will see it that way. Ignorance is bliss in some cases.

Also if they know they are overloaded they may feel they have to something about it and that may come very hard if they only have a 100kg or so to play with.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp

There must be hundreds of motorhome on the road running illegally either being overloaded or driven by driver's without the correct licence.Met two in Spain who had not got a clue about updating their licence at 70 to drive their over 3.5 tonne vans.BUSBY.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Met two in Spain who had not got a clue about updating their licence at 70 to drive their over 3.5 tonne vans.BUSBY.
I'm sorry, but that is just totally irresponsible and absolutely unforgivable. :madder: It makes me wonder just how much disregard some folks have for the law, and for the Highway Code, which although is only a guide, it can be used to apportion blame in a court of law, in the event of a RTC.

Regards,

Jock.

Feb 2, 2015
Shropshire, UK
Funster No
MH
A motorhome!
Exp
we are still learning
Judging by the payloads of Trackers and Apache's compared to the similar specced but lighter and nearly 10k cheaper Imala's I have a feeling Auto Trail will be phasing them out sooner rather than later. The new Euro designed Tributes will also effect their sales too.

Lenny we only wanted a small two berth and lose the trailer we had to have with our Tracker hence the reason we sold it for the small Pegaso - still 3500kg but the payload is more than double.

Regardless of the build quality debates, British vans will simply loose out to European built vans at higher UK prices offering specific UK appealing options (ovens etc) simply because they have a lot more usable payload.
You only just have to look at how many are now coming to the market as second hand sales. Wether it be the Tribute Or Imala range or even the Apache ...Payload and Build qualitity will always be a "Thorn in the side' for Autotrail.

Shame really...they actually LOOK as if they are top quality. Until you have had one or two !

Kev

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
You only just have to look at how many are now coming to the market as second hand sales. Wether it be the Tribute Or Imala range or even the Apache ...Payload and Build qualitity will always be a "Thorn in the side' for Autotrail.

Shame really...they actually LOOK as if they are top quality. Until you have had one or two !

Kev
Had a new Trigano Tribute in 2008 for 4 months,,fantastic looking van,,But,,,quality poor..BUSBY.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
I’m sorry I have come across as not taking advice I can assure you I am taking it onboard
And will get it out for spring ?
Probably best to buy now. In the spring they all go up in price as the warmer weather entices buyers out. There may still be some good discounts on unsold 2019 stock as the dealer needs to make space on the forecourt for the 2020 stock which is arriving now. Especially if you have your heart set on an Autotrail.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Probably best to buy now. In the spring they all go up in price as the warmer weather entices buyers out. There may still be some good discounts on unsold 2019 stock as the dealer needs to make space on the forecourt for the 2020 stock which is arriving now. Especially if you have your heart set on an Autotrail.
Wake up Peter he bought it last July.
I’m sorry I have come across as not taking advice I can assure you I am taking it onboard
And will get it out for spring ?
Hope you are not leaving it standing for months, the worse thing you can do with a van.
If you are not using it take it for at least a 20 mile drive every few weeks.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back