Brakes and tyres (1 Viewer)

F12NKR

Free Member
Jan 28, 2021
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 660
I have been playing with the motorhome this week and just wanted to share what I have found.
The van came with pretty much a years mot and was serviced regularly. But, while inspecting the front tyres i noticed a lot of cracking all around the outside edge, I took them off and found a date code which showed they were 2005 vintage! The tread depth was like new and the van has 30k mileage. Moral is, even if the tread looks good check the age of the tyres, I'm sure I read somewhere that after 5 or 7 years they should be replaced.
With the wheels off thought i would check the brake pads. Again there was plenty of meat left but after pulling the pads out I found a lot of cracks in the pads with one corner ready go fall off and one pad peeling away from the backing! I am guessing these might be the originals, 15 years old.
Again, as motorhomes dont get used as much as cars it might be worth getting someone to actually check these items for peace if mind.

Nov 13, 2011
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
30 years
It is very common for brake pads to stick in the calipers, made worse by low mileages. This prevents the pistons from retracting properly, resulting in brake pad overheating and subsequent cracking and delamination. As a matter of routine I strip back all the brakes annually and re-lube using proper ceramic grease. Not had a problem since.
Geoff

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Change my pads every four or five years, new discs this time at 13 years. Plenty of meat on them but badly pitted.

Nov 13, 2011
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
30 years
My last company car, a Skoda Octavia, was returned at the end of its period still with its original discs and pads and that was after 100,000 miles.
Geoff

Feb 4, 2016
West Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B680 Starline
Exp
Long term a few years now.
Glad you sorted tyres and brakes (y) maybe change brake fluid or at least get it checked .

Wikky

Free Member
Aug 6, 2020
Cambridge
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Since 2003
I bought wheel covers for the mh. They prevent the discs from rusting and protect the tyres from UV degradation. I also leave the hand brake off and leave it in gear with a wedge under a wheel.

OP
OP
F12NKR

F12NKR

Free Member
Jan 28, 2021
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 660
Glad you sorted tyres and brakes (y) maybe change brake fluid or at least get it checked .
Yes thanks wigster, I will change the fluid when the new pads arrive. Worryingly I tried to release the bleed nipple while I was there and it was solid! I've left it to soak for a few days and will try again.

OP
OP
F12NKR

F12NKR

Free Member
Jan 28, 2021
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 660
I bought wheel covers for the mh. They prevent the discs from rusting and protect the tyres from UV degradation. I also leave the hand brake off and leave it in gear with a wedge under a wheel.
That's a good idea to use wheel covers will look into that (y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back