Brake wear warning light - advice please (1 Viewer)

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
We have just got back from the Orkney Islands. There were garages there as I checked because the Motorhome was playing up with the starter.

Thankfully it stopped being a nuisance but I would have dropped by if not.

Don’t wait, any decent garage will happily sort it for you. The really good ones will put you at the front of the queue as you are on holiday and it’s your house on wheels.

A warning light is just that, not a feel free to drive till you get home 600 miles away light.

Aug 20, 2020
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Home Car P59
Exp
I'm a newbie
The warning device is just a wire embeded in the pad that earths when it wears down to the brake disc

Have a look at the pads through the wheel if you can , I bet there's loads of material there yet
Never seen such poor advice on this forun.
What makes you say that

In my experience the brake pad warning light is something dreamt up by manufacturers to get you in the garage sooner , I've had pads that still have at least 40% left but the light is on

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
The warning device is just a wire embeded in the pad that earths when it wears down to the brake disc

Have a look at the pads through the wheel if you can , I bet there's loads of material there yet

What makes you say that

In my experience the brake pad warning light is something dreamt up by manufacturers to get you in the garage sooner , I've had pads that still have at least 40% left but the light is on
It also comes on when the brake fluid is low, 600 miles of pad wear in Scotland on the west coast is a lot as well.

The point is, it may well be spurious nonsense but a few hours in a decent garage will sort it even if it isn’t.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 20, 2020
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Home Car P59
Exp
I'm a newbie
It also comes on when the brake fluid is low, 600 miles of pad wear in Scotland on the west coast is a lot as well.

The point is, it may well be spurious nonsense but a few hours in a decent garage will sort it even if it isn’t.
It's not though is it , I've done 50,000 miles in my Ducato van on the same set of pads and they're still OK
600 miles isn't going to wear a set of pads out

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
It's not though is it , I've done 50,000 miles in my Ducato van on the same set of pads and they're still OK
600 miles isn't going to wear a set of pads out
I don’t disagree, if you know it’s just the pads and they are fine. But the OP doesn’t……

I could have a look and know straight away, I could also check the brake fluid, I could also read the fault codes.

A lot of people can’t hence why my advice would be to drop by a garage.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks

What makes you say that

Sorry to say
If you have to ask
You do not have enough experience to offer advise

Aug 20, 2020
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Home Car P59
Exp
I'm a newbie
Sorry to say
If you have to ask
You do not have enough experience to offer advise
I see you've offered no advice , just criticism, and posted a picture where you have no idea why the truck hit the house
Heart attack, steering failure , puncture

What did you do before all these sensors , check everything daily before setting off

This is my experience , 30 years driving 3.5t trucks & trailers up to 90,000 miles a year

Brake failures , zero

I had an iveco daily , red brake light of death came on so I took it to iveco as it was still under warranty , 10 minutes later, it needs discs and pads on the rear axle
Really, a red light for brake pad warning , amazingly they could do it there and then for £700 , I declined

Took it to my mechanic , nothing wrong with the discs apart from a lip on the edge , pads had at least 40% left but he changed them so the light went out

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
with motorhomes, it is not as simple as brake pads on a car. They are like a fully loaded builder's or removals van 24/7/365. The braking effort applied at the pads is much higher to stop a far heavier load. Never cut corners with brake maintenance, it rarely ends well if you do

Aug 20, 2020
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Home Car P59
Exp
I'm a newbie
I'm not saying don't get it looked at , just an orange light on the dash isn't a reason to panic

I'd like to see a picture of the pads that are removed though

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Honestly if you are worried best to get the pad thickness checked, topping up the fluid can lead to overflow when you do change the pads and brake fluid is not kind to bodywork.

Mate of mine is a spanner monkey.

He always says if you have to too up the brake fluid, you’ve either got a leak or the brake pads need changing.

Makes sense really.

OP
OP
H
Oct 12, 2014
Opposite the Needles
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
14 years
Brake fluid checked and all ok; that has a separate warning light anyway (red, I would presume). Taking a wheel off a 4 tonne moho is not an option on a grass field and not something I’m keen to do myself anyway. I’m making arrangements to get it checked, but that’s not proving as easy as all that - everyone (who can deal with a moho) has loads of work, but I’ll find someone with sufficient persistence.

Apr 13, 2019
Funster No
MH
Burstner 747-2
Exp
since 2010
Gosh is this discussion still going on. It is possible to check the brake pad thickness without taking the wheels off. Either through the holes in the wheel or by getting underneath. If your warning has just come on it is likely that you can survive your journey but to be sure have them checked. Lots of garages and even Kwick Fit will do this free. (They will hope for your custom)

Apr 13, 2019
Funster No
MH
Burstner 747-2
Exp
since 2010
Ps I use a 10 tonne bottle jack on a length of scaffolding wood to jack on grass

Oct 13, 2016
Grays - Essex - UK
Funster No
MH
Mercedes Hymer B680
Exp
Been moho’ing for a time now
Personally I’d drop into one of the bucket “garages” and get them to drop the wheels off and see how much pad you have left.

It’s not a big job to do pads really.

Piece of mind costs little 👍
new discs cost a lot !!, better safe than sorry, and as already said not a major job for a garage or yourself

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back