frenchypilot

Free Member
May 31, 2011
France CENTRAL
Funster No
MH
class A
Exp
Brake servo problems with Fiat Ducato TD based engines. There is supposed to be a upgrade to stop pressure loss in the servo system. Anyone know what it is.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
what do you mean by 'pressure loss' ?

the servo is vacuum operated and as long as the engine is running you will have vacuum, provided the vacuum pump is working and the servo diaphragm isnt split....in which case replacement of both is the only answer.

vacuum will drop to nothing eventually until the engine is restarted.

OP
OP
F

frenchypilot

Free Member
May 31, 2011
France CENTRAL
Funster No
MH
class A
Exp
On the earlier Ducato engines the servo power is shared with steering , when the steering is used a lot ie parking etc there is not enough vaccum pressure to the brake servo. There is supposed to be an electrical vacuum booster pump of some sorts available. I just wondered if anyome knew about this. Campervan going in to have problem rectified next week but would like to know if anyone on MHF has had similar problem.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
My apologies......didnt realise this was the case and never heard of it before.

to my mind all power steering is either hydraulic or electric and brake servo is air vacuum.

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
I have heard these people are good may be worth a phonecall or email

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
PJ is correct, power steering is done by hydraulics on the Ducatos of all vintages and brake servo is vacuum. The only common thing to both systems is they are engine driven.

D.

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
servo's occasionally have a 1 way valve fitted somewhere in the vacuum pipe between the pump.
this is more common on petrol engines as they don't usually have vacuum pumps but i have seen some on diesel engines.

most likely cause after split pipe or servo diaphragm would be an oil leak inside the pump and maybe oil being sucked back into the servo when the engine isn't running.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
servo's occasionally have a 1 way valve fitted somewhere in the vacuum pipe between the pump.
this is more common on petrol engines as they don't usually have vacuum pumps but i have seen some on diesel engines.

most likely cause after split pipe or servo diaphragm would be an oil leak inside the pump and maybe oil being sucked back into the servo when the engine isn't running

always a possibility.
i used to drive a transit with the same problem......ever couple of weeks had to remove the servo and drain the oil out as it really did reduce servo power.

eventually i drilled a hole on the bottom and screwed in a self tapper to act as a drain bung.

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back