LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Hi all,A word of warning re rubber brake pipes that are fitted to the brake calliper.We had the unforgetable experiance of finding out that we had NO brakes just when we neaded them last week.It turns out that the flexy rubber brake pipes that attach to the brake caliper deteriate from the inside as well as the outside.Thank god we wernt traveling to fast at the time and I was able to stop on the handbrake.Having composed myself and changed underware,I investigated to find one wheel red hot ,boiling the fluid out of the master cylinder.Having made enquiries these flexipipes are made one inside the other,and after time they separate,alowing the brake flued through when you brake,but NOT alowing it to return.Consiquently calipers drag cousing heat buildup.On inspection there was no deteriation visible on the outside.This proved a very expensive repair becouse not only did I nead a new pipe,but the caliper was destroyed and disk warped with the heat.Sorry about the long post but I dread to think what could have happend.CHECK THOSE FLEXIPIPES. Regards,Dave.

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
A very good warning not something you think about, you check the outside but don't always think what is happening inside.:thumb::thumb:

Glad you got away with just extra washing:Eeek: and a repair and nothing worse.

Dave

Last edited:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
this type of breakdown is something that normally goes with vehicles stood for along while. the problem is you cant see inside the hose. usualy you can feel the brake dragging. most manufactureers recomend brake fluid change every 2 years .it can be wise to change hoses n cyl/caliper rubber seals every 4 years. just another service item that doesnt happen in todays 20,000 ml service world. this sort of work kept your local garage busy. now wait till its broke change lots its the way it s gone.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

buyer

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 29, 2008
leicestershire
Funster No
MH
american coach
Exp
20 plus another 12years tugging/small campers
this kind of problem is in my experiance very rare ,but definately not unheard of as one of my customers runs a 52 plate toyota avensis verso with 225k miles ,so not been laid up for any length of time ,it kept wearing the disc pads on the o/s but we could not find any problem with it.even checked it on our brake tester and it was ok,we had the caliper apart ,copper slipped everything but it still did it,then we changed the flexy and bingo ,perfect. but as in previous posts you can't see anything from the outside .(frightening).:thumb:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi buyer. suprised the brake tester didnt show it ,usualy does. i found it on one of my old vw,s when at mot, cause just put it down to standing but was a pain as brake kept coming on. when i changed the hose perfect. did everything then to be on safe side. noticed it a few times since on others . the inside acts like aflap valve.hard to explain to a customer if its just passed its mot though.

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Hi again,The worst part is that the Cummins motor has so much grunt,I didnt notice the brake drag till it was to late.You dont know you have no brakes till 3 seconds before you need em.I couldnt believe what I saw when there was brake fluid coming out of the master cylinder.:Eeek::Eeek::Eeek:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
never mind another story in life. bet there,l be afew more to remember. its the ones that say it wont happen to me that i feel sorry for. i kow it will happen to me usually does.

buyer

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 29, 2008
leicestershire
Funster No
MH
american coach
Exp
hi alan ,i know what you are saying but when the car came into the workshop there was no brake bind at all, we checked it manualy and on the rbt but nothing at all just the fact that the o/s pads where wearing and the nearside pads still had plenty left,the caliper apeared to work perfectly and if it was the master cylinder we would assume both fronts to wear the same so we decided to try the flexy by a process of illimination and luckily it worked. changing the subject completely i have just noticed that i am a funster without an avatar ,now i don't know if i am being thick but what the hell is an avatar and do i need one:Doh:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
avatar is pic or something . yes if you want one .no if you dont. helps to be different.have fun.

buyer

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 29, 2008
leicestershire
Funster No
MH
american coach
Exp
thanks alan, any idea how you ad a photo i'm not that good pc.s:thumb:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
a friend put mine on for me ,i am no good on these either. give me a welder ,spraygun,etc sure somebody will let u know soon.cheers alan

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back