Brake pad warning light, and pad deterioration (1 Viewer)

Aug 27, 2014
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
McLouis Tandy 640+
Exp
Since 2014
Brake pad warning light came on whilst on my recent holiday in France. "Odd", thinks I, "I only did the pads about 8000 miles ago, they can't be that worn". Had a quick crawl underneath but couldn't see anything untoward so dismissed it until I could be back at home with a proper jack etc.

Well, at home now, so jacked the van up and took the caliper off today (Fiat tightwads only put the warning sensors on one side on X244 Ducatos). Loads of meat on the pads, as I expected, but where the brakes have got hot the insulation on the sensor wire for about 1mm next to the pad has melted - just enough to short it out onto the backing plate I think.

We've had a few holidays in mountainous areas and despite careful driving, engine braking, never braking continuously etc etc and generally treating the brakes as you should we've had a few instances on long downhills where the brakes have got hot enough to smell a bit - never enough to fade, but enough to whiff a bit.

I wouldn't have worried too much about the sensor but I noticed that the friction material was just starting to come away from one of the backing plates, so it's new pads & discs, as the discs are past their best.

A timely reminder with motorhomes and brakes to check the pads carefully, the friction material starting to part company from the backing plate long before the pads are worn out is not uncommon.

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Mine after 11k miles....Fiat Ducato
IMG_2423.JPG
IMG_2424.JPG
IMG_2425.JPG
IMG_2426.JPG

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
More profit.:LOL:

My 29 year old ducato has individual brake lines to both pistons on each caliper! Amazed me when I first saw it.
No car or van has more than one wear sensor per caliper. The pad with the sensor is fitted nearest the centre of the vehicle because it's the one that wears out first.

Dual line brakes were common prior to ABS which does away with need for them.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
No car or van has more than one wear sensor per caliper. The pad with the sensor is fitted nearest the centre of the vehicle because it's the one that wears out first.

Dual line brakes were common prior to ABS which does away with need for them.
I took the op to mean only one wear sensor on one side.ienothing whatsoever on the other?

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
I had this earlier this year. Pads all round replaced in April then in June having crossed the Alps pad wear warning light came on intermittently.
Turns out the sensor wire was shorting on the wheel rim.
Sensor only on front NS wheel, Ducato x244.
Dave Newall offered to replace but haven`t bothered as it`s a bit of a hassle to get to Telford again.
Doesn`t seem to be a big deal except perhaps I no longer have a working sensor but I`ll live with that.

Aug 5, 2018
Funster No
MH
a
Quite normal for some vehicles to only have a wear sensor on one side of the vehicle.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Feltwell
Aug 27, 2014
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
McLouis Tandy 640+
Exp
Since 2014
Seems he did :).

Yep, he did. X244 has a wear sensor on the caliper for the front left wheel only, nothing for the right wheel. Can't remember what's on the back, nothing I suspect!

Whereas my Audi A6, which coincidentally I changed the front pads on today, has sensors all round.

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back