Brake Light Fault - any suggestions? (1 Viewer)

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Our Chausson Best Of 04 on Ford Transit chassis has a recurring brake light fault - solved briefly by Ford dealership replacing fuse but now flickering & faint again within days! It's going back to Ford tomorrow but after 2 days fault finding the first time only for it to happen again we are concerned that this recurring fault might not be solved this time either.Has anyone else had a similiar problem with a Chausson or other coachbuilt on a Transit chassis?

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
poss bad earth somewhere along the line i would of thought or maybe a wrong bulb, but then again me being a mere female I could well be wrong

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2012
Near Truro, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Brake light fault

Hi, although our van is on a Fiat chassis, we had a similar problem last year just before setting off on a nine week tour of Spain, Morocco and France. The dealer we bought the van from, who carried out the pre tour service, said it was probably due to road muck coming off the rear wheels and lodging on and around the wiring and connectors feeding the rear light clusters, which he said was a common failing on Hymers. He rewired the clusters but the problem kept coming back, and worse, it was intermittent. It was only when we were in Morocco and it happened again that one of the tour guides identified the real problem. At the bottom of the bulb holder behind the rear lenses is a small spring and on our 6 year old van, the spring blade had weakened over time, breaking the electrical contact. The solution: take a small bladed tool (penknife or screwdriver) and lift the sprung blade, then replace the bulb. It worked and the problem has not returned.

Don't know if this will help you, but it may.

If anyone out there knows where I can get hold of replacement bulb holders for a 2006 Fiat based Hymer A class rear light cluster I'd like to hear from them, because I'm sure the solution will not last forever!:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

SueBaz

Free Member
Feb 20, 2012
Nr Canterbury, Kent
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since February 2012
Hi, although our van is on a Fiat chassis, we had a similar problem last year ..........:

Hi Wombles

Think this is a good place to look. Our Fiat Burstner has the exact same problem (with the same symptoms)with the right hand rear indicator. .....and likewise finding a bulb holder to match in Portugal where we are at present could prove to be a challenge!

Good luck with yours

Barry and Sue

Xabia

Free Member
Jan 20, 2011
Rural Nottinghamshire and Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1996
Hi, although our van is on a Fiat chassis, we had a similar problem last year just before setting off on a nine week tour of Spain, Morocco and France. The dealer we bought the van from, who carried out the pre tour service, said it was probably due to road muck coming off the rear wheels and lodging on and around the wiring and connectors feeding the rear light clusters, which he said was a common failing on Hymers. He rewired the clusters but the problem kept coming back, and worse, it was intermittent. It was only when we were in Morocco and it happened again that one of the tour guides identified the real problem. At the bottom of the bulb holder behind the rear lenses is a small spring and on our 6 year old van, the spring blade had weakened over time, breaking the electrical contact. The solution: take a small bladed tool (penknife or screwdriver) and lift the sprung blade, then replace the bulb. It worked and the problem has not returned.

Don't know if this will help you, but it may.

If anyone out there knows where I can get hold of replacement bulb holders for a 2006 Fiat based Hymer A class rear light cluster I'd like to hear from them, because I'm sure the solution will not last forever!:thumb:

I had a similar problem on my 2007 B544SL. Discovered that the problem was due to the circular part of the fitting into which the bulb fits had somehow opened itself up marginally causing an intermittent earthing problem. Tightened them up very gently with pliers and reinserted the bulbs, sprayed with WD40 and no further problems. I also took the opportunity to disconnect the connector between the light cluster and the loom, clean with appropriate cleaner, reassemble and then protect with self amalgamating tape to prevent any road dirt from affecting this area in future.

Mike

Trikeman

Free Member
Aug 22, 2012
Wilds of Ceredigion.
Funster No
MH
AT 634 Apache.
Exp
Since 2011.
If all the excellent suggestions above don't bare fruit, have a look at your connection plug, it's cable length and where it joins into the loom - that's if you have towing electrics.
I have forgotten how many times I have seen this and although not a 'first port of call' and often overlooked, I would check this area as a matter of course.

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Trikeman.:winky:

Oct 28, 2013
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
If the rear light clusters are mounted to a fibreglass body the earthing is likely to be the issue.
One of my number plate lamps was out at the weekend.
I tried a new bulb but to no avail so I ran in a separate earth straight to the chassis and it's fine.
It may be worth running in new earths to all the lamps individually and taking them back to one new earth point just so I have no problems out on the road where it's not so easy to fix.

OP
OP
Wombles

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
All sorted!

Our Chausson Best Of 04 on Ford Transit chassis has a recurring brake light fault - solved briefly by Ford dealership replacing fuse but now flickering & faint again within days! It's going back to Ford tomorrow but after 2 days fault finding the first time only for it to happen again we are concerned that this recurring fault might not be solved this time either.Has anyone else had a similiar problem with a Chausson or other coachbuilt on a Transit chassis?
Thank you for the suggestions - turned out to be poor insulation on 2 terminals on rear upper brake light which also affected the lower brake lights. Thought that maybe there was some intermittent fault/flaw on Ford chassis / Chausson coachbuilts so relieved to know this is not the case.:Smile:

FULL TIMER

Free Member
May 31, 2012
NORWICH
Funster No
MH
SELF BUILT IVECO 75E17
Exp
BEEN BUILDING THEM FOR 32 years
If your vehicle uses the original transit light clusters or even the original connectors I would look at the earth connection in the connector transits are known for these corroding/burning away Ive changed several on ambulances lately, Renaults also suffer the same. I don't know how new your vehicle is but I have two mates both had pretty new fords one a focus the other a transit connect both suffered total light failure turned out to be the ECU 's . hopefully and more likely yours will just be bad earths.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back