Brake fluid? (1 Viewer)

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
i would say between 1/2 and 1ltr maximum inc the master cyl reservoir.

more to the point..make sure you buy the correct DOT grade for your van.

put the wrong one in and the seals could swell or deteriorate.

it should state which grade in your vehicle handbook.

OP
OP
wizzer59
Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
Thanks for that pappajohn, I had imagined it would be a lot more than that but that's good news, don't suppose you'd know the bleeding sequence (language Timothy) as well would you?:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
personally i wouldn't bleed it using the brake pedal but use a pressure bleeder
as the internals of the master cylinder can go rusty just beyond the normal travel of the pedal thus shredding the seals when pressing the pedal to the floor which would then require a new master cylinder.

personally i would start with the shortest pipe from the master cylinder but using a pressure system i don't think its too much of a problem where you start.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
1. Syphon out as much old fluid as possible from the master cyl
2. Re fill with new
3. open one rear bleed nipple and allow to self drip through a tube into a jar about a 1/4 of a small jam jars worth
5. Close nipple and do the next rear, same amount, close off and move to a front nipple
Do each front nipple in turn allowing gravity to do its job,it may take a min or two to start flowing be patient, and top up master cyl after every wheel is done
BUT LEAVE THE BLOODY PEDAL ALONE!!!!!!!
We in the trade use this method on an almost daily basis without ever pressing the brake pedal, its simple plumbing there is no real specific order in which to bleed
You will have clean fluid throughout no air and the best pedal you have ever had
When we do come across a problem bleeder we clamp off one hose at a time till the pedal feels good than bleed that one only
Using your brake pedal and master cylinder to bleed brakes is asking for trouble and risks damaging seals
Drip Bleed (Gravity) OR Syphon bleed using correct equipment, pressure bleed equipment as a last resort, Pedal Bleeding--Never
Geo
Ps have a bleeding good time
pps allow a couple or three drips without the tube before nipping up, air can not get in if fluid is coming out

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Thanks for that pappajohn, I had imagined it would be a lot more than that but that's good news, don't suppose you'd know the bleeding sequence (language Timothy) as well would you?:thumb:
the quantity was only a guestimate but i very much doubt it would be more considering the diameter and length of the lines and internal size of cylinders/calipers....the master cylinder reservoir will take the largest amount.

and Geo's already answered the sequence question. :thumb:

OP
OP
wizzer59
Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
Thanks guys realy good advice for me as Ive always pedal bled:Doh:, will try your way first Geo and if it needs pressure then I'll get a pressure bleeder and try your way aba:thumb:

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
When I replace brake fluid for customers I follow this sequence:

start with the furthest from the master cylinder and open the bleed nipple with a tube attached feeding into a 1 litre jar.
Connect a pressure bleeder (I use a Gunson's Easibleed) to the master cylinder and apply the required pressure. Gunsons Easibleed uses a spare tyre at max 20 psi as a pressure reservoir.
When the tube is blowing bubbles vigorously into the jar of dirty fluid close off the nipple and repeat on the second furthest wheel from the master cylinder. Repeat this for all wheels moving from furthest to closest to master cylinder in order.

You now have removed as much of the old fluid as is reasonably possible. Empty your jar.

To refill with fresh fluid:
Top up the master cylinder with clean fluid (DOT4), fill your easibleed bottle with clean fluid and connect it to the master cylinder and apply pressure from the spare tyre (check you still have 20psi first).

starting at the furthest wheel from the MC again connect your tube in the jar and open the nipple, when fluid is running clean and bubble free close the nipple and repeat for the rest of the wheels moving in the same sequence as before, you will probably need to top up the fluid in the easibleed bottle.

Once you have done all wheels try the pedal with the engine running, if it feels soggy I generally leave it alone for half an hour for any air bubbles to percolate up then do a final bleed with someone pressing the pedal manually for me.

D.

OP
OP
wizzer59
Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
Thanks Dave:thumb: would of happily paid you to do it but the old legs were tired::bigsmile:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Far be it for me to even comment on another fellow traders methods let alone question
them
But seriously
You take an air tight system, drain off all fluid, fill with air, then bleed:Eeek:
I will never understand that logic Dave, and as you chose to post totally oposing advise i await your reply with interest there must be a valid reason :RollEyes:
Each to there own i supose
But it does now leave the original poster and others in somewhat of a quandary:Doh:

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Far be it for me to even comment on another fellow traders methods let alone question
them
But seriously
You take an air tight system, drain off all fluid, fill with air, then bleed:Eeek:
I will never understand that logic Dave, and as you chose to post totally oposing advise i await your reply with interest there must be a valid reason :RollEyes:
Each to there own i supose
But it does now leave the original poster and others in somewhat of a quandary:Doh:

I understand your point Geo but my reason is thus. Adding new fluid to old contaminates the new fluid. By pressure draining the old stuff out first you remove the chances of contamination and so give the new fluid a far better chance of staying good for longer. I used to use the new fluid to push the old stuff out but found I had to use twice as much fluid to get good clean stuff coming out of the bleed nipples.

I've been doing it the way I described earlier for about three years now without any problems.

D.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
You and others may have noticed that pressure bleeding was mentioned only as a last resort in my original post ,and there i belive lies the reason for your change to your present tactics, there are many and various reasons I don't use or recommend your present method, I wont go into them here as it may appear to some to be a game of one upmanship, it is certainly not that
You might just out of interest try the drip/gravity method, it may half your time effort and material costs, because you are more familiar than most with hydraulic systems you, as we do, can work on all 4 wheels at once. I do not recommend novice or DIY to try4 wheels at once
Were never too old to learn:winky:
Regards
Geo

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
You and others may have noticed that pressure bleeding was mentioned only as a last resort in my original post ,and there i belive lies the reason for your change to your present tactics, there are many and various reasons I don't use or recommend your present method, I wont go into them here as it may appear to some to be a game of one upmanship, it is certainly not that
You might just out of interest try the drip/gravity method, it may half your time effort and material costs, because you are more familiar than most with hydraulic systems you, as we do, can work on all 4 wheels at once. I do not recommend novice or DIY to try4 wheels at once
Were never too old to learn:winky:
Regards
Geo

We achieve the same ends via different means, I can live with that:winky:

D.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi ,i usually suck the fluid through with a mitivac . just another way to do the same thing . i find on m,bike calipers the mitivac does the job really easy . never had a pressured system . but find the mitivac pump very usefull for allsorts .

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
Wont add anything regarding to bleeding, but one peice of advice I would give, is to replace the pipes from master cylinder back. The reason behind this is in the design. The brake pipes are clamped to the bulkhead just out of sight - the clamp holds dirt and grime, and is the weak point for rotting pipework. They can even pass an mot when corroded here, as you just cannot inspect it very well! Prevention better than cure, so if you are bleeding the system, may as well replace these pipes too!

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
Brakes

I also use the "geo" method and I would only add - use newly purchased brake fluid, probably DOT 4 or above and that you will notice when the older fluid is expelled when the cloudiness disappears as the fluid is replaced.
MikeD

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I also use the "geo" method and I would only add - use newly purchased brake fluid, probably DOT 4 or above and that you will notice when the older fluid is expelled when the cloudiness disappears as the fluid is replaced.
MikeD
agreed...never use that half tin of fluid you've had stored in the garage for ages...only from a sealed tin.

brake fluid is hygroscopic (absorbs moisture from air) and if contaminated can cause the water in the fluid to boil under prolonged heavy braking resulting in a soft pedal and possible lack of brakes.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
OMG you have used the dreaded phrase:Eeek:
The last time that was used
I informed a guy about cleaning his black tanks and he thanked me, and also referred to it as the "Geo Method"
Jim then got all sorts of grief from a guy in America accusing him of theft and copright breaches
There is it appears a"GeoMethod" registered and copy writen in the States
The chap has some software that scans the world web looking for use of the phrase to protect his Work/system
he backed off when he was informed Geo was my name
many have published his written work as their own and without any acknowledgement to him so he gets a bit touchy,and rightly so
Sorry Jim Incoming:hardhat::hardhat::hardhat:eek:pp5:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
i notice there is also a satellite tv channel called GEO it just seems all foreign to me but seems to be a world wide phenomenon.
just dont let the fame go to your head:hardhat:
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back