Brake Buddies (1 Viewer)

E

Enodreven

Deleted User
Hi,

Do Brake Buddies meet the following description, which is a direct extract from EEC Directive 71/320

3.4.The inertia braking device must allow the trailer to be reversed with the towing vehicle without imposing a sustained drag force exceeding 8 % of the force corresponding to the maximum mass of the trailer. Devices used for this purpose must act automatically and disengage automatically when the trailer moves forward.
After item 3.4 the following new item 3.5 shall be added:

3.5.Any special device incorporated for the purposes of item 3.4 shall be such that the parking performance when facing up a gradient shall not be adversely affected

G

GeorgeTelford

Deleted User
Hi Brian

Yes they can meet that part (when taken in isolation), but No they are not legal at all for use in UK or europe. They are specifically ilegal according to Construction and use regulations and eu directives.

George

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Also a good time to raise an important and often overlooked fact is they should be disconnected completely after boarding a Ferry
After nearly setting fire to the Sooty van my Rv Keith's RV and the remaining Vehicle on and including the ferry itself I nearly learned the hard way The roll of the sea was sufficient to activate the inertia mechanism and the brake buddy was operating non stop for the duration of the crossing, burnt wires and an INTACT FUSE were found on inspection following the funny smell when I returned to disembark:Eeek:
Geo

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
E

Enodreven

Deleted User
Hi, George

That extract is direct from an EU Directive and is the only one that I can find that covers what I have been given to understand the Brake Buddy is used for.

It would be very helpful if you can you print the the actual paragraphs that you are quoting from as I am sure it would be interesting for everyone.

Brian

Geo, That's a very important point perhaps it should be made a sticky as it really has serious implications

Hi Brian

Yes they can meet that part (when taken in isolation), but No they are not legal at all for use in UK or europe. They are specifically ilegal according to Construction and use regulations and eu directives.

George

G

GeorgeTelford

Deleted User
Hi Brian

its the one that requires mechanical/hydrolic transmission of braking forces (it specifically excludes electronic braking) have not got time to look it up right this minute ( I should keep a log, the amount of time I spend repeating myself over the same points it would be easier to find the references)

PS there is not a single EU directive regarding trailers and braking..

Harley Dave

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Overton, Hants
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
<1
Too late George - Brian's called it a day (probalbly slit his wrists)

Cheers

Dave

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

G

GeorgeTelford

Deleted User
Questions are a burden to others; answers are a prison for oneself

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
America is a huge country and produces fabulous motorhomes yet all it's people seem to be risk takers as they use A frames with no brakes and even these brake buddies.

Maybe all their products ar dangerous? who know?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back