Brainstorm a pre purchase checklist (1 Viewer)

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I have started to produce a comprehensive, tick the box style checklist that members can use when they purchase a motorhome either privately or from a dealer its pretty basic at present but I am sure that you guys will be able to add to it. Rather than show you what I have already included I would like to start with a clean sheet so as not to stifle anyones thinking. The final checklist will be produced as a download for members

Most of us have purchased a motorhome and then got home and wished they had asked a particular question or checked something was working. Buying and collecting is an exciting time and a checklist is a good thing to keep the purchaser focussed and get answers to vital questions. Not doing an HPI check can be devastating, and not asking about service history could cost you.

So what things should be on the check list, precautions, things to look for and check etc ,

artona

Free Member
Jul 31, 2007
Funster No
MH
self build
Exp
40 yrs and still not got a release date
1) Take along a damp meter and check thoroughly

stew

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

S

Snelly

Deleted User
Check EVERYTHING works...!!

How many times do we buy something without checking stuff like the water heater etc, only to find its buggered and costs ££££ to put right.

L

Lindy-C

Deleted User
Hi Jim

A lot of common sense stuff here:

Link Removed

RV related of course but much of it can also apply to any Euro-built vehicle . :winky:

Link courtesy of www.rvfulltiming.com

Jul 20, 2007
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1999
Jim
This a terrific idea and may I make a small suggestionette?::bigsmile:
Can you put up a spreadsheet type of thingy and let people fill in some boxes for you, that way the work is not duplicated and stuff gets entered as people think of it.
I have made a start but I am unable to upload an Excel file (it is not one of the allowed file catagories). If someone can allow Excel files that I will happily upload what I have started to see if it is helpful or not...

Keith

Tony Santara

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Cheshire (ex Mancunian)
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 1994
Jim
This a terrific idea and may I make a small suggestionette?::bigsmile:
Can you put up a spreadsheet type of thingy and let people fill in some boxes for you, that way the work is not duplicated and stuff gets entered as people think of it.
I have made a start but I am unable to upload an Excel file (it is not one of the allowed file catagories). If someone can allow Excel files that I will happily upload what I have started to see if it is helpful or not...

Keith
Jim it would handy if we could do it like a poll from a list of things to check so it could be prioritiesed does this make sense ?

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Hi Tony,

What I will do is type my list up, add everything that is mentioned on this thread and then turn it in to an image and attach it so everyone can see it and know where we are. We will then let it run a while to ensure we don't forget anything. Good stuff so far::bigsmile:

Jul 20, 2007
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1999
Hi Jim
If you look above Tony's post I have said that I have already made an Excel file that has taken me a while to create but I cannot upload it as the site will not accept Excel files as valid upload docs....
If you can enable that function then I am happy to upload it and we can have a look to see if it is useful?

Keith

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Yes I saw it mate, but its beyond me, if you email it to me, I will, should, hopefully :eek: be able to embed a spreadsheet into a seperate page on the website and then link to it, but can't get them inside the actual forum pages, thats graphic imports only as far as I can tell.

artona

Free Member
Jul 31, 2007
Funster No
MH
self build
Exp
40 yrs and still not got a release date
Hi Jim and Keith

Until you find a way around uploading an excel file you can create your excel file and then copy the cells and paste into a word document.

If you increase the file size MHFun allows a word doc file to be then you will be able to upload this file

stew

Jun 8, 2019
Bexley Kent
Funster No
MH
Given up Motorhoming
Exp
May 2019
Might sound daft but how do I know when my FW tank is full? Tried to fill it up and the van flooded I was told that I could leave the hose at home connected. I have drained it and now frightened to chance filling it again.?

Feb 13, 2013
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Rapido 881F
Exp
Since 2015
Location of heaters, water tanks and water pumps and access.

I couldn't cope with a Truma boiler under the bed!

Closing of cupboards and doors. Soft close or crash bang!

Payload, sure it is on already. I am sure there are loads more to come from other funsters.

Dec 28, 2015
lake district
Funster No
MH
low profile mh
Exp
Since 2015
deleted didn’t see it was old thread

Last edited:

Sucoz

Free Member
Oct 28, 2018
Isle of Wight
Funster No
MH
‘A’ Class
Exp
since 2011
Viper, not sure why your van floods, are all the pipes securely connected. In answer to your question, if this helps at all
  1. we have a dial that tells us how full ( depending how level the van is)
  2. The fill point will overflow- but doesn't flood the van
  3. The container is under the seat, I can watch it fill if I wanted
  4. If you listen you can get used to the sound of an empty/full tank- this is want I normally do.
As for pre purchase, make sure you know how to read the tyre age, ours looked new, but when I looked closer they were 7 years old, managed to get them replaced.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I have started to produce a comprehensive, tick the box style checklist that members can use when they purchase a motorhome either privately or from a dealer its pretty basic at present but I am sure that you guys will be able to add to it. Rather than show you what I have already included I would like to start with a clean sheet so as not to stifle anyones thinking. The final checklist will be produced as a download for members

Most of us have purchased a motorhome and then got home and wished they had asked a particular question or checked something was working. Buying and collecting is an exciting time and a checklist is a good thing to keep the purchaser focussed and get answers to vital questions. Not doing an HPI check can be devastating, and not asking about service history could cost you.

So what things should be on the check list, precautions, things to look for and check etc ,
Apart from the obvious, if you have the means, video the hand over... Handy if things go wrong and a massive help when a week later you are trying to work out how this or that widget works :)

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
The original post is over 12 years old as irnbru has already noted. I don’t think Jim still needs things for the list !

Jun 8, 2019
Bexley Kent
Funster No
MH
Given up Motorhoming
Exp
May 2019
Is the level indicator on the same panel where you can change from habitation to vehicle??

Jun 8, 2019
Bexley Kent
Funster No
MH
Given up Motorhoming
Exp
May 2019
Wish I had done what Jaws suggested I had a1hr hand over by the time I got home I forgot almost everything that’s why I am asking what to you old timers think are boring questions ?

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Wish I had done what Jaws suggested I had a1hr hand over by the time I got home I forgot almost everything that’s why I am asking what to you old timers think are boring questions ?
There are not any boring questions, it’s just best if you start a new thread for each one. :) Us old timers can all too easily get very confused and start answering the original post.(y)

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Is the level indicator on the same panel where you can change from habitation to vehicle??

Usually the level indicator, if there is one, is on the control panel which should be mounted in the habitation area. Not too sure what you mean about changing from habitation to vehicle, changing what ?
However, level indicators are not very accurate and they can get stuck or gunged up with limescale so it’s best to the sound as Sucoz said above. Your van should not flood if you overfill the fresh tank. There should be an overflow from the tank which is directed outside.

Jun 8, 2019
Bexley Kent
Funster No
MH
Given up Motorhoming
Exp
May 2019
Thanks I will take pic of the panel tomorrow and post it, looking at 5 go camping on TV at the moment ?

May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
Vipar

Not sure if you are aware but all your posts seem to have some kind of colourful, exotic bird at then end of them :D

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back