Bracket prep for panels (1 Viewer)

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Installing 2 panels on the new van. Aluminium angle is powder coated .What would best, just to clean it & rough up before using sikaflex or removing the powder coating completely ? Thanks in advance.

Dazzlin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 31, 2012
La Marina, Costa Blanca.
Funster No
MH
1986 Hymer A Class
Exp
From 2013
It's surprising how little prep you need for a good adhesive.
Prep as much as you can, then slap a load of adhesive on. Look forward to a catchup when we are down there.

If the panels stick......

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Did you have the Ali angle powder coated or did you buy like it..? I’m sure I’ve seen powder coating coming off Ali after a short time because it reacts... I think the coating stays in one place and acts as a cover over the Ali if you know what I mean but separates .....? I’d do a bit of research on it first Richard ....

OP
OP
gus-lopez
Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Did you have the Ali angle powder coated or did you buy like it..? I’m sure I’ve seen powder coating coming off Ali after a short time because it reacts... I think the coating stays in one place and acts as a cover over the Ali if you know what I mean but separates .....? I’d do a bit of research on it first Richard ....
It is a supplier of aluminium extrusions used here for windows, doors, patio doors, roller shutters ,etc; Never seen it come off of any in all the years I've been here & used the stuff. Off the shelf in many colours. Unfortunately plain ali isn't available locally.:xdoh: I might, just might also use a couple of screws seeing as it is a pvc anyway & the roof lights are glued/screwed.

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
Presumably you could also put in some self tappers where the adhesive is going for the same reason.
Self tappers assist in making sure you have enough adhesive between the bracket and the roof, if the head of the screw is 3mm deep the adhesive will be 3mm thick as they stop the adhesive being squeezed out.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I would clean the powder coating completely off the contact area. Powder coating only needs a chip in it and moisture will get under it and the whole coating will start to flake off. As you are using cut pre-coated extrusion it's already got a head start with the bare ends.

As said drill at least 3 x 6mm holes in the brackets also if you use stainless nuts & bolts don't forget to put a coating of silicon grease or Evostick on the bolts and nuts to stop direct contact with the aluminium of the frames.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back