Boxer 2.5td starter problem. (1 Viewer)

Mar 30, 2019
Cardiff, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2016
Now that we are out and about again I have a problem with my 1996 2.5td starter. About 50% the time the engine doesn't turn over when turning the key. The battery is fine, the dash lights don't dim at all when turning the key, just nothing seems to happen. If you turn the key repeatedly quickly it will come to life and start. Is there a solenoid on these which could be sticking?

D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
Likely an immobiliser issue (I believe it’s located on the fuel injection pump).
Cheap option, mechanic can bypass the immobiliser (if they’re any good and not just a fitter)
Expensive option, get the pump reconditioned.
The problem’s quite well documented both here and on the Fiat owners forum.
I had the same issues but mine sometimes wouldn’t turn off either (needed to stall it).

Apr 6, 2019
Eye, Peterborough, UK
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
FourWinds Windsport 6.8L V10
Do you have an orange Key symbol on the dashboard ?

The immobiliser problem manifests itself as the engine starter motor will spin but no fuel is delivered so will not fire.

Been there and got the badge. Fixed myself with a bypass and kill switch and advise from Vanbitz Eddie.

If the starter does not spin then more likely rubbish earth straps. Replace and add more - easy job. Battery to wing and gearbox to other wing. I added extra to slam panel from battery too.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Itsmcb
Mar 30, 2019
Cardiff, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2016
I wasn't aware that I had an imobiliser? Photos of the ignition key and the lights on the dashboard when turning the key initially.

Attachments

• IMG_20200801_171540654.jpg
    IMG_20200801_171540654.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 35
OP
OP
Itsmcb
Mar 30, 2019
Cardiff, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2016
Simple key

Attachments

• IMG_20200801_171606209.jpg
    IMG_20200801_171606209.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 24
Apr 6, 2019
Eye, Peterborough, UK
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
FourWinds Windsport 6.8L V10
Good news for you is it appears you don't have the KeyCode Orange symbol (orange light that looks like a key). However, without trying to confuse you, the immobiliser could still be faulty as the Orange Key Symbol should illuminate for a couple of seconds when key first turned.
However (again) your key does not look like my keys that are chunkier and contain a transponder that the Keycode Immobiliser looks for when inserted in ignition barrel.
As I said earlier, if the starter motor does not turn at all then it probably is NOT immobiliser fault. More likely Earth or wiring issue.

1596300297750.png
Immobiliser key with transponder

1596300409020.png
Ignition key barrel immobiliser aerial

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
The solenoid is part of the starter motor but on the outside.
Try to reach the starter and feel for a thin wire with a spade connector on the solenoid.
If you can, pull it off then push back on.
Dirt and corrosion on this connector can cause this problem and it won't get any better by leaving it.
Last one I did was so corroded I had to replace it.

Jul 4, 2018
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg
Exp
A few years.
Click when you turn the key? If yes likely to be worn starter solenoid bush or two, should be easy to replace. Just in case you don't know, disconnect the battery before touching the starter, wise one speaks and still has both hands!

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Is there a solenoid on these which could be sticking?
(y)
The solenoid is part of the starter motor but on the outside.
Try to reach the starter and feel for a thin wire with a spade connector on the solenoid.
If you can, pull it off then push back on.
Dirt and corrosion on this connector can cause this problem and it won't get any better by leaving it.
Last one I did was so corroded I had to replace it.
What PJ said. Easy to do .when it happens leave key in on position ,open bonnet waggle wire, then turn key.
Ther is no immobiliser nor chip nor anything on the key/ignition barrel

OP
OP
Itsmcb
Mar 30, 2019
Cardiff, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2016
Cheers guys, I didn't think I had an immobilizer. I'll have a look for the wire with the spade connection tomorrow in the light, I vaguely thought the problem reminded me of something similar on an old Austin I had years ago when they had a big separate solenoid up near the battery. I just wasn't sure if it was still a 'thing'. There is no clicking or starter turning and the dash lights aren't dimming at all so I didn't think the starter was sticking. I'll update tomorrow 👍

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
i would suspect the starter switch/lock assembly not making a connection as the lights dont dim if you can remove the back box or if you can get to the terminals in place see if it turns over by hot wiring it

Spawn_e_git

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 1, 2015
Norfolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Argos 748
Exp
4 years
The immobiliser (if fitted) is connected to the diesel pump. Thecenginecwould turn over, just not start due to lack of fuel pressure.

I had this on my old Boxer Y2000 (same motor) it was the solenoid on the side of the starter motor.

Best way to prove it is get someone to turn the key and when nothing happens, get them to hold the key in the starting position and tap solenoid on the side of the starter motor with a bit of wood. If it turns over when clumped, it will be the solenoid.

Obviously make sure you know what your tapping. Van in neutral with wheels chocked. If you not comfortable doing this, any mechanic will know how to.

They normally come with the whole starter motor but I found just the solonoid online and took the starter off and fitted the new solonoid. Cost of reconditioned starter was over £200 IIRC and solonoid was £25.

OP
OP
Itsmcb
Mar 30, 2019
Cardiff, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2016
Definitely no immobiliser. I do suspect the solenoid is sticking. I've had a quick look underneath and the switching connection looks quite corroded but is too long for my 6mm socket. I'm going to pick up a ring spanner and try clean up the connection first.

Jun 12, 2017
Telford
Funster No
MH
A class Pilote
Exp
Bad earth.
failing that a dicky ignition switch. Switch on and bridge the terms on the starter

OP
OP
Itsmcb
Mar 30, 2019
Cardiff, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2016
The starter works, it's an intermittent fault sometimes not activating when you turn the key. If it happens then if I flick the key rapidly a few times and it seems to activate something and the starter will spin and turn the engine over.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back