Boxer 1.9TDI in the mountains! (1 Viewer)

Mar 23, 2017
Chudleigh, Devon
Funster No
MH
Compass Avantgarde 2
Exp
Im a newbie
Hi all, not sure where to put this question.....

I am still optimistic (positive thinking!) that we will get away to the Pyrenees in August (Plymouth - Santander, then drive to Torla, then over to Laruns in France then wherever we fancy) .

This will be our first time abroad in our MH, but have had many holidays driving a car around the French/Spanish Pyrenees so I'm very aware of some of the steep winding roads, Col, D'Aubisque, Col Du Marie Blanc etc etc. and at times have had to resort to 2nd or even first on some bends even in a 1.9TDI Passat (lots of guts).

Having driven the MH in Mid/North Wales, Highlands etc it has not let us down yet but there have been a few "we've got no gears left" moments on steep inclines and some optimistic upshifts from 2nd to 3rd only to have to do a quick down change again (with bumper kissers nudging form behind!).

Coupled with this my garage mechanic referred to the older (51 plate) Boxer gearbox as being "made of chocolate" and most gearbox recon places won't touch them, so I do try and treat it like cut glass.

So....i'm interested to know other's experiences (not too many horror stories please :worried:) of people driving 'under-powered' MHs through European mountains, am I being too cautious or should I not even try to get up long winding mountain passes?

vehicle is a Compass Avantgarde 120 '51 Plate on Peugeot Boxer 1.9TDI.

will will be going as light as possible but its still about 2700kg (water tank empty).

Thanks

Interceptor

Free Member
Feb 25, 2020
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rimor Seal 5
Exp
02-02-20
Hi Brendan
Good name?
For peace of mind sort out some European brake down cover if not got it for the van also make sure your insurance company now you are going.
Start to finish dates as some may not cover you.
Ensure you have the correct essentials that contrary expects by law.
Hi vis wasts bulb kit first aid fit warnings triangle check on the AA web site.
Then get your self off.
If you cover all the baces and prepare your self and the van can't see why it would not be fine.
As you say done it in a car your halfway there?

Jan 25, 2013
Dorchester, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Sad former owner
Exp
Since 1991
I've been all around the Pyrenees and Alps in a 1997 Fiat 1.9TD Sevel MH and just accepted the fact that it was slow going uphill but it would make it - eventually! I had no problems (apart from a bit of earache from SWMBO on the more "precarious" bits). Heck, just go for it, you'll be fine; and anyway, what's the rush??

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
I had an Autosleeper Transit 2.5 non turbo auto 1996.Would not pull the skin of a rice pudding but it took all over France Spain and Portugal and up plenty of mountains,,at its own pace but it always got there.Dont worry. BUSBY.

Jul 26, 2019
Devon / Cornish border
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Kimu 122
Exp
Previously had the identical MoHo, just had to get used to 2nd gear, as you say go to 3rd then straight back down to 2nd. But it was all ok, just took any hills slow and steady.

As for bumper kissers, don't bother me, just pull over when you can. Had another (hired) MoHo overtake me when on the NC500!!!!, What a complete T###, only for me to catch him at the next view point....

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back