Box Trailer for New Harley Davidson Tourer Motorbike (2 Viewers)

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
The trailer manufacture will usually send you a replacement vin plate to your requirements on request as long as the requested weight is lower than original GVW and higher than the trailers actual unloaded weight.

They realise you may need a very large trailer with a very low payload......an advertising hoarding trailer for example.

OP
OP
Z

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
The trailer manufacture will usually send you a replacement vin plate to your requirements on request as long as the requested weight is lower than original GVW and higher than the trailers actual unloaded weight.

They realise you may need a very large trailer with a very low payload......an advertising hoarding trailer for example.
Great thanks, makes things a lot easier although the Debon Cargo C300 is plated at 1300kgs which will be enough if it fits the measurements and it is priced at £2695 which is close to what i want to pay. Just never heard of them before (French Company) so have no idea of quality and build.

Enword

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Race van conversion for years
Re Body Al-co chassis
008.JPG

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Z

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
now thats a big trailer, where do you get these from?

OP
OP
Z

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
I wish i had the skills to do it myself. :(

Enword

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Race van conversion for years
If your a dumb ass like me you got to learn to be good with your hands :RollEyes:

Reactions: f6c

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
I bought a large box trailer a few years ago that had been adapted to carry a bore hole camera by extending the box on the front. being non standard and having sign writing on the sides meant that most people didnt fancy buying it. I paid £1200 took it home and serviced it and removed the stickers plus a polish. used it for 2 months to do a job i needed it for. then advertised it for £2500 with some nice shiny photos. could of sold it to a dozen or more people who rang me. however the first chap to turn up with the cash wanted it to transport a show trike. he was delighted that the front had been professionally extended as it fit the front wheel of the trike easily.
my point is that too many people cannot see past easily addressed flaws and just want the shiniest trailer or van they can find. they then miss potential bargains.
in my case, a few hours labour cleaning and peeling stickers made me a very decent profit and use of a huge trailer whilst I needed it

OP
OP
Z

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
I bought a large box trailer a few years ago that had been adapted to carry a bore hole camera by extending the box on the front. being non standard and having sign writing on the sides meant that most people didnt fancy buying it. I paid £1200 took it home and serviced it and removed the stickers plus a polish. used it for 2 months to do a job i needed it for. then advertised it for £2500 with some nice shiny photos. could of sold it to a dozen or more people who rang me. however the first chap to turn up with the cash wanted it to transport a show trike. he was delighted that the front had been professionally extended as it fit the front wheel of the trike easily.
my point is that too many people cannot see past easily addressed flaws and just want the shiniest trailer or van they can find. they then miss potential bargains.
in my case, a few hours labour cleaning and peeling stickers made me a very decent profit and use of a huge trailer whilst I needed it

This would be fine, i have seen some cheaper trailers but they all suffer from having roller doors as opposed to a door ramp. Seems these are a bit rarer. The Debon c300 trailer seems to fit the bill and is £300 cheaper than the P2 1300 of the same make but still pricey at £2695 but a lot cheaper than the Ifor Williams bv105 at around £4200. Still got a bit of time to sort this so no immediate rush and from reading the post from @TheTwoOfUs i am going to need a motormover. Anyone know of anyone that can fit/adapt one of these to fit a trailer no point me trying as i am useless at diy?

Thanks

OP
OP
Z

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
I have seen a Ifor Williams BV105 trailer forsale which is approx 10 years old for £2600, now my quesiton is, is this worth the price as I can get a new Debon C300 for £2695 which is a completely different trailer but will do the same thing? The reason i am considering is purely on the basis that I am assuming that the BV105 will be able to take a motor mover a lot easier than the C300 (see previous post by The "@TheTwoOfUs" on my other thread about motormover). I have asked the chap if he will accept offers but he wont so at present i have said no. I was hoping to get something around 3-4 years old if i can but they do seem to hold there value. Should i be worried about it being 10 years old? the brakes have just been serviced and one side replaced. When is the best time to buy a trailer as if need be i can wait if there is a good time (forgive the ignorance and maybe stupid questions).

Thoughts and suggestions welcome!

OP
OP
Z

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
As luck would have it i have managed to secure a Ifor Williams BV105 for £2000 which is a lot cheaper than anything i have seen and more importantly in very good condition. Now just got to see what I can get fitted to it with regards to motormover as the company above says that they cant fit to a trailer with leaf springs which I am assuming this has. So a little forward but a little back as well, still i now have a trailer so that's one thing.

Will call powrtouch again tomorrow to see what they can do although they havent bothered to call me back from earlier in the week (not very good customer service in my opinion).

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
It's hard to imagine that fitting a motor-mover to a leaf spring axle will be possible. The spring and/or its hangers occupy the same space required by a motor-mover.

Reactions: zac
OP
OP
Z

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
It's hard to imagine that fitting a motor-mover to a leaf spring axle will be possible. The spring and/or its hangers occupy the same space required by a motor-mover.

That's exactly what they said, I will have a better idea once I pick it up Friday.

OP
OP
Z

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
Well i cant believe how stupid i have been, i picked up the trailer yesterday and towed it back last night. However i forgot to measure the distance from our porch which over hangs from our drive to the ground. And guess what the bloody thing wont fit as it will knock off the porch, how stupid. The trailer is perfect for what I need and in good condition. Now i have the added hassle of selling this one to get another one, a painful lesson learnt.

So anyone want BV105G trailer shout as i have one it cost me £2000, i am not looking at making any money on this as i know i probably could get a bit more but if someone wants it on here it will go for the same as i brought it. On ebay it will be going for £2350 :)

I have parked it at our motorhome storage facility that i rent but then of course that means the motorhome cant go there so at present that is at the side of the house. Until the neighbours complain then i will swap it for the trailer, it was too dark when i got back last night to start shuffling things around.

so i still need a trailer but that is not so high.

Last edited:

ebikejohn

Free Member
Dec 11, 2015
Hereford
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since 2006
We use an Anssems GTB1200 with ramp and lift up roof, it's a braked trailer, 2.1m internal load length and Alko running gear so a lot smoother than an Ifor, I've attached a picture of a new one because I have never taken one of ours but perhaps 2.1 is too short for a Harley. image.jpeg

OP
OP
Z

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
We use an Anssems GTB1200 with ramp and lift up roof, it's a braked trailer, 2.1m internal load length and Alko running gear so a lot smoother than an Ifor, I've attached a picture of a new one because I have never taken one of ours but perhaps 2.1 is too short for a Harley. View attachment 89471

Thanks I will take a look, the harley they are saying is 2600mm in length which is 8.54ft the height is not so much of an issue as the aerials on the back just come off.

OP
OP
Z

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
The GTB 1200 is too short as only 8ft long, i have just sold the bv105 which was pretty quick. It went for £2350 which is good as it covers what it cost me to go and get it plus a bit more. They seem to be very popular trailers.

Seriously considering not towing at the moment as the cost is just far out waying the benefit. If i keep my scooter i wont need to as i have the hydratrail still plus it will be cheaper on the ferries. I am taking myself out of it slowly :)

ebikejohn

Free Member
Dec 11, 2015
Hereford
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since 2006
I thought it might be a bit on the short side.

There used to be a British manufacturer, Lynton I think who made a low height box trailer but it might be a bit of a challenge loading it on your hands & knees.
I'm not a big fan of Indispension trailers but every now and then some ex power wash trailers come up on eBay, they have a lift up grp canopy but I'm not sure about length again.

Silverg

Free Member
Dec 18, 2015
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2013
Have you looked at the DeBon box trailers - there is a C500 model with Ramp door ?

OP
OP
Z

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
Have you looked at the DeBon box trailers - there is a C500 model with Ramp door ?
I did indeed. They didn't look that bad to be honest but I was told that I wouldn't be able to fit a motor mover to it so had to discount it. One of the forum members on here actually went to look at one and they didn't seem that well made.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Anyone have any views on the best enclosed trailer to put a new Harley Davidson Eltra Glude Ultra Limited in? Want to be able to tow it on the back with the motorhome. The only trailer i can see is the Ifor Williams BV105 which currently new is around £4200 and rare second hand with the ramps at the back. I dont want an open trailer as the harley will get filthy when towing and what thay cant see they are less likely to steal :)

Dont want to be spending anymore really as the bike has just cost me an arm and a leg, i could do with getting one for around £2500 but they just dont exist. Seen some second hand ones for 3k but then they +Vat.

I can only tow 1.5t so the BV105 seems to fit as the Harley is around 400kgs with the trailer i think around 800kgs giving it a bit of room to add more. Seen another one from excalibur and if money were no problem this would be the one but they are around 10,000 euros which is way out of my price range.

Now some would say why tow when you should be riding it, and of course this is valid but i want the choice.

Any thoughts and suggestions please!
As it's a Harley wouldn't you be better with an A frame on the motorhome? :D

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
How about this? I'm sure you could specify a rear ramp.

Broken Link Removed

OP
OP
Z

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
How about this? I'm sure you could specify a rear ramp.

Broken Link Removed

If it had fixed sides i would but a canopy would not be good. Wouldnt take someone long to slash through that. I wont get one now till i get the bike as going to make sure of the measurements as the last one i got which was the bv105 was huge and far more than what i need.

Thanks for the reply though.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
If it had fixed sides i would but a canopy would not be good. Wouldnt take someone long to slash through that. I wont get one now till i get the bike as going to make sure of the measurements as the last one i got which was the bv105 was huge and far more than what i need.

Thanks for the reply though.
At least a potential thief wouldn't be able to see anything of value and a couple of heavy locks through the wheels & part of the trailer would make it hard to move. My worry is that a trailer is a quickly removable package so I concentrate on a good lock on the hitch to the vehicle & wheel clamps on site. (Smartie & trailer). Either way the price looks sensible & they may be happy to build one to your spec especially as the base trailer looks suitable.

shootingstar1954

Free Member
Feb 28, 2015
Woodbridge, suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Sandhurst
Exp
im a newbie
Hi, just found your thread here. I had a similar problem for a 350 Bsa i own. I ended up having a custom box trailer made to my measurements by Tickner trailers near Wisbech. You can specify the length and height plus axle rating. Mine has a pointed front , with a door at the front and barn doors at the rear. It cost me £1800, a bargain. I had a 96 Electra glide, so i know just how big they are! Last time i saw "my"bike it had over 100,000 miles on the clock.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back