Bournemouth/Poole overnighting (1 Viewer)

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Now would the same apply to you as you are not a traveller?

From recent posts Poole Council have banned overnight stopping in car parks but ..... one rule for us and one rule for others.

Yesterday, Poole Borough Council confirmed that its staff, with police support, will issue penalty charges to any vehicle without a valid ticket at the car park.

Nick Hill, from the council, said: 'We were notified by police that 11 caravans, two motor homes plus associated vehicles had moved into Beach Road car park.

'Our officers have visited the site and will continue checks to ensure the area is kept clean and tidy.

'It is our policy that unauthorised encampments will be tolerated as long as there is no significant impact on the local community.

'At this stage, the travellers have not indicated how long they intend to stay in the area.

'Colleagues from Transportation Services will be attending the site with police support daily to issue penalty charge notices to any vehicles not displaying a valid ticket for the car park.'

BBC NEWS | England | Dorset | Travellers move into top resort

Sandbanks residents outraged as gipsies set up camp next to Millionaires' Row | Mail Online

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
Yes it would apply to motorhome funsters -

in actual fact it gives me an idea.

A day parking ticket is quite cheap in bournemouth and if they say they tolerate it as long as unauthorised camping does not impact on the environment, why dont we hold the funsters anniversary there. Its gotta be cheaper than some of the site prices over the summer holiday rofl its right by the beach and next to millionaires row rofl.

And we are all very responsible

:winky: :winky:

OP
OP
P

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Yes it would apply to motorhome funsters -

in actual fact it gives me an idea.

A day parking ticket is quite cheap in bournemouth and if they say they tolerate it as long as unauthorised camping does not impact on the environment, why dont we hold the funsters anniversary there. Its gotta be cheaper than some of the site prices over the summer holiday rofl its right by the beach and next to millionaires row rofl.

And we are all very responsible

:winky: :winky:

Excellent idea, why not go the whole hog and get a 24 hour ticket :thumb:

Why did I find that news article:winky:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

W

Wilbury

Deleted User
Hi All,
I had allready read somewhere that though there are "forbiden" signs up at Baiter,
the rule is in fact unenforcable in law.
Wilbury

Digger Driver

Free Member
Oct 4, 2007
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Not buying a parking ticket is one thing but to try enforce an overnight stop ban is in complete contradiction with the Highway Code as any HGV or PSV driver can tell you!
As long as your not a hazard to other road users and parked legally you can stop and sleep anywhere!
Theres not a council in the country who would challenge the DVLA!
All you have to say is "I felt very tired and considered it too dangerous to continue driving"

highwayman

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Herne Bay
Funster No
MH
Low profile Rapido
Exp
Since 2005 ish
We've stayed in poole once or twice and overnighted at the sandbanks car-park.
It is (or was) £1 from 10pm till 8am (or something like that)
The sign does state "no overnight camping". Thing-is if someone knocks and i answer then i'm not camping just parking, and if i don't answer then the vehicle has been parked overnight and a valid ticket to do-so displayed in the windscreen.
We've never been bothered by any-one, though we've only ever been out of season.
I believe that poole council has stated themselves that the parking regulations outside of not having a valid ticket are unenforceable. However at baiter car park there is a large sign stating that overnight parking is prohibited, which is why we go to sandbanks.

regards....nige

mudmover

Free Member
Apr 30, 2010
Wales
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
We've stayed in poole once or twice and overnighted at the sandbanks car-park.
It is (or was) £1 from 10pm till 8am (or something like that)
The sign does state "no overnight camping". Thing-is if someone knocks and i answer then i'm not camping just parking, and if i don't answer then the vehicle has been parked overnight and a valid ticket to do-so displayed in the windscreen.
We've never been bothered by any-one, though we've only ever been out of season.
I believe that poole council has stated themselves that the parking regulations outside of not having a valid ticket are unenforceable. However at baiter car park there is a large sign stating that overnight parking is prohibited, which is why we go to sandbanks.

regards....nige

Is the car park in sandbanks still ok to overnight?
Looking to visit tommorow..
MM

weekenders

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 30, 2008
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
15 years
We have stayed on Baiter car park overnight, with s others sometime last year, it does state no overnight camping but the other campers said as long as you have a car park ticket next morning at 6am when the gates open they cannot prosecute you. I did ask one of the attendants on Baiter if it was OK to park and he said as long as you have a car park ticket no problem:thumb:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
We have stayed on Baiter car park overnight, with s others sometime last year, it does state no overnight camping but the other campers said as long as you have a car park ticket next morning at 6am when the gates open they cannot prosecute you. I did ask one of the attendants on Baiter if it was OK to park and he said as long as you have a car park ticket no problem:thumb:

Semantics, as so often Bob. Yes, it is OK to park if you have a ticket but - despite what some say - using a motorhome for human habitation is not the same as parking. The Poole TROs (and those of other councils), which are what make the "no overnighting" signs legal, mean that they can prosecute if they are so inclined.

Whether councils will prosecute depends, often enough, on whether they can afford to enforce the law (e.g. overtime payments). That, in turn, may well depend of the extent to which problems are caused. As with many aspects of life the majority of people are responsible and cause no problems but we all suffer from the actions of the irresponsible minority.

big map

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 8, 2009
Poole
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
I'm not sure if this has been mentioned before (I did a quick search and didn't find anything) in August 2011 Caravan Club Magazine page 131 there is an advert "Overnight motorhome stays on Bournemouth Beach - only £20. From September 2011, enjoy 1 or 2 night stays from 6pm to 11am for only £20 per night. Sleep yards from the shoreline and wake up to glorious panoramic bay views - a unique opportunity! Book now on 01202 451 781 lines open 9.00am - 5.00pm www.bournemouth.co.uk/beach "

From the picture in the advert this looks to be Bournemouth Undercliff Drive which is between Boscombe Pier and Bournemouth Pier. To my knowledge although there are toilets on the sea front they are locked overnight but water fresh water taps are available along the sea front and it is within easy walking distance of Boscombe or Bournemouth town centres.

OP
OP
P

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Update on the Thistle Hotel Car Park on Poole Quay.

They now have automatic number plate recognition cameras at the entrance of the Car Park and you need to go to the Hotel reception and pay within I believe 40 minutes. Its £8 for 24 hours. No height barriers.

Large car park right on the Quay. Pubs, restaurants, Tesco Express, Sainsburys nearby, Bikers night on Tuesdays, Fireworks on Thursdays, Special Car night on Fridays.

Peter

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Update on the Thistle Hotel Car Park on Poole Quay.(snip)

Once again that will only cover parking - even more so, in fact, than Baiter as the hotel car park will be private land rather than council owned so is covered by a different section of the Caravan Sites and Control of Development Act 1960.

As with any other hotel/pub/shop etc, unless there is a site licence or exemption in place, it is an unlicensed caravan site. As such then, legally, only one caravan/motorhome can be used for habitation on any given night, the stay can be for no more than two nights and the land can only be used in that way for a maximum of 28 nights in a year.

OP
OP
P

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
I have seen several vans in there at a time, don't think they are that bothered.

I dont use it any more as I stay on my boat for maybe a week or more and its now got too expensive, made alternative arrangements.

There is also a new car park, Brittania, at the other end of the Quay, think its £4 and nothing about overnight parking so who cares. You just buy a ticket in a machine and display in windscreen.

Peter

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
You're probably right that they're not bothered, Peter, but it's like other places where TROs are ignored. It gets busier, somebody objects and the height barriers go up so we're kept out during the day as well.

OP
OP
P

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
You're probably right that they're not bothered, Peter, but it's like other places where TROs are ignored. It gets busier, somebody objects and the height barriers go up so we're kept out during the day as well.

Extremely unlikely as they wont be able to get the laundry van in!

Peter

weekenders

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 30, 2008
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
15 years
We used Thistle hotel car park today, £3 for upto 4 hours and £10 for 24 hours, nothing about no overnight parking.

weekenders

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 30, 2008
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
15 years
We used Thistle hotel car park today, £3 for upto 4 hours and £10 for 24 hours, nothing about no overnight parking.

We also got a parking ticket today, :Blush:for over staying our 4 hours, got photo's to prove it too. :Angry:
It was an expensive 4 hours that has now cost £60 if we pay within 14 days.
Reminder for anyone, do not stay more than the time paid.
Should we pay or will it go to court?

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
Is it a parking ticket or an invoice?

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
It has to be an invoice as it is a private car park.

There has been some controversy locally - see Here. As usual plenty of "don't pay, they are scammers" comments but also comments "they only introduced this system becuase people were sneaking into their car parks and going to the beach all day. It seems like the same old case of a few selfish motorists causing problems for the honest ones as usual." and "he was out for the day on a fishing boat but got back an hour and 20 minutes after the ticket expired".

At the end of the day this is a hotel car park which is meant for use by guests staying at the hotel and people using their restaurants and bars. If the facility is abused, though, how long will it be before extra measures are put in place?

darklord

Free Member
Apr 28, 2011
essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
three years
Justa quick note for comparisons sake regarding HGV and PSV drivers. There are different "breaks", there is a "break" of 45 mins taken after 4.5 hrs driving, andther is "daily rest"...this is normally 11 hours by law, but can be reduced to 9 hrs on occASIONS (I WONT GO INTO IT ALL), the main thing is, that the defenition of a break, is "being able to freely dispose of his time", and nobody, not the police, vosa, dvla etc can interfere with that, its part of EU law and has been for years.
If i am at home, and i dont answer my fron door when someone rings,...dont mean i,m asleep does it, i may not even be in:winky:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back