Bought the USB external Drive - BUT (1 Viewer)

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Rotherham South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
Hi I have just been to Netto and bought the USB 250 GB drive from Netto, plugged it in and everything is fine.

However, I have just been through the windows Backup wizard and tried to backup 'all information on this computer' (includes all data and creates a system recovery disc for this computer) when I go to the next screen it asks me to 'chose a place to save the data', but will not allow me to chose my new F USB drive.

I checked and it is formatted correctly, so am I wrong in assuming I could use this as a full system recovery disc, and that I should be content with just copying all my files and folders etc.

Help very much appreciated.

Ginny

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Hi Ginny,

Just tried it and it Works for me on a usb hdd..

Just asks for a floppy too.I cancelled that message and then I Just clicked on the Browse button and then it's under My Computer.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Teasy2007

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Rotherham South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
Hi Ginny,

Just tried it and it Works for me on a usb hdd..

Just asks for a floppy too.I cancelled that message and then I Just clicked on the Browse button and then it's under My Computer.

Many thanks, it is creating the backup as we speak! Does this mean that if my laptop fails I can just plug this in and it will restore everything?

Ginny

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Many thanks, it is creating the backup as we speak! Does this mean that if my laptop fails I can just plug this in and it will restore everything?

Ginny

It does if you use something like Link Removed as this takes an "image" of your hard drive and all your settings and restore it in just a few minutes. :thumb:

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi you may need to go into setup to enable "boot via USB" on some computors you press the "del" key during boot up to get into the setup menu.

Olley

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?

Ginny

It does mean you've got an external copy of all your data.You'd need to restore via Microsoft Backup and point it to the .bkf file on the usb drive.

I agree with Jim that Acronis would be a good investment.I've used it and been very impressed.It's on My Dad's machine some 180 miles away and I can restore if necessary remotely.:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back