Bought Subject to a Test Drive :) (1 Viewer)

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
Got a test drive of our intended motor-home today.
We put a deposit down in lieu of the results of the test drive on Sunday.

Now those fears of a hurried transaction are creeping in :eek:
There's an advisory on our vehicles MOT:
  • Nearside Front inner sill corroded
  • Offside Front inner sill slight corroded
Where do you look for those?
That's the lower section of bodywork were it folds back under, right? The 'L' bit

The test drive should help. Look for the vehicle to keep going where I last aimed it - esp. under breaking. Our vehicle is ~5.7 long so should drive a little like a heavy car, right?

It's a dealer purchase who I hope will be with the wife & I for the multi year ownership journey...
Positive thoughts...

6month warranty, new 12month MOT & habit service are in the deal...

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Have you read the buyer's guide in the resources section? If not do it quick!

Upvote 0
Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
I think you are worrying needlessly , the advisories are sometimes written up to show they have looked , and they will mention something that can be justified (slightly) , I would be amazed if even a vehicle a couple of years old would not be capable of having that advisory . The devil is in the detail as they say , have a look yourself , it will be easily visible. Rectification might just involve wire bush and rust treatment , and waxing .
The vehicle should drive much like a car , with more inertia , it should not wander , braking will be a similar level to a car, as the components will be designed to cope with the extra weight . The vehicle will roll more on corners etc . Dont pre worry , enjoy . The layout and weight (payload) is a bigger thing to find out about
buyers guide as at Minxy Girl above is a start .

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Have a google of "inner sill" on whatever model base vehicle it is and do a search of the relevant owner's group

Upvote 0

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
Take a damp meter* with you and check EVERYWHERE! .. Reading above 20% probably indicate problems.

*Preferably a non invasive one as the dealer or current owner may object to you sticking probes in.

Upvote 0

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Do a search on here for such damage, there are horrifying pictures of what one owner found when trying to rectify some rust. I don't recall if he ever completed the repair.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
kevenh

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
Have you read the buyer's guide in the resources section? If not do it quick!
Read it today.
Feel like I missed using most of it, but we have watched vehicles come and go for several weeks at our local dealers (Webbs & Marquis) so we think we're OK on pricing.
Our biggest miss is not having the mechanical knowledge but I'll focus on the test drive & how the vehicle looks stood static after that :eek:
I'll be frank with the dealer's spokesperson about concerns, etc. This is going to be e z :eek:

Upvote 0

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Don't forget we want photos once you've bought ot .. of you both smiling standing next to it. :)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
kevenh

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
movan said:
Don't forget we want photos once you've bought ot .. of you both smiling standing next to it
Will do (y)
Is there a "show us yours" area?

The test drive was fine.
My "handler" was busy when I arrived so I used the time to stick my head under the chassis and into wheel arches.
Looks clean and in very good nick. It looks like there has been some repair work done to inside front wheel arches. That's the nearest I could see to sill re-works.
When my "handler" showed up I mentioned what I'd been looking at re. the MOT advisory and he made the right noise.
All four tyres are 17th week of 2018 with lots of life left. 7mm tread I reckon- something else I'd alarmed myself over not checking Sunday from late forum research.
They're branded as rain tyres. So good for the UK then :)
I did take pics :eek: bu dived into posting on the forum w/out checking on the rule for pics. They usually need hosting 1st right?
EDIT: I picked the wrong post to quote!! Fixed

Last edited:
Upvote 0

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Will do (y)

The test drive was fine.
My "handler" was busy when I arrived so I used the time to stick my head under the chassis and into wheel arches.
Looks clean and in very good nick. It looks like there has been some repair work done to inside front wheel arches. That's the nearest I could see to sill re-works.
When my "handler" showed up I mentioned what I'd been looking at re. the MOT advisory and he made the right noise.
All four tyres are 17th week of 2018 with lots of life left. 7mm tread I reckon- something else I'd alarmed myself over not checking Sunday from late forum research.
I did take pics :eek: bu dived into posting on the forum w/out checking on the rule for pics. They usually need hosting 1st right?

Just click attach files Documents Gallery

(That's my phone)

Upvote 0

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Will do (y)

The test drive was fine.
EDIT: I picked the wrong post to quote!! Fixed
Go to post a reply on here and simply click on “attach files” at the bottom left of where you are typing. Then when loaded simply select full image if you want. Simples!

Upvote 0

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Well done.

That is in Media.

If ever you want to you can put photos on your posts too.

You seem really pleased, rightfully, with your purchase. Now the exciting bit us wimmin like .. choosing cushions, cutlery, throws, etc etc... :)

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Well done.

That is in Media.

If ever you want to you can put photos on your posts too.

You seem really pleased, rightfully, with your purchase. Now the exciting bit us wimmin like .. choosing cushions, cutlery, throws, etc etc... :)
Nah ... fettling it my 'drug' of choice! :D

Upvote 0

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
Don't forget to do your research on the Dealer. Marquis don't seem to be very good when it comes to after sales service. Last thing you want is bother with the Dealer.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
kevenh

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp