Rogerlathbury

Free Member
Oct 6, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I 678
Exp
Hi all,
I am looking for a device that monitors the gas level in my bottled gas. I've seen many from the Truma device with Bluetooth connecting to a smart phone (@ €130) down to the cheap as chips stick on ones at £2 or £3. I don't particularly want to spend €130 on this, but want something that works. I am seeing very mixed reviews of most. Opinions and recommendations would be most appreciated.

OP
OP
Rogerlathbury

Rogerlathbury

Free Member
Oct 6, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I 678
Exp
Would like Safefill (lighter and gas is cheaper), BUT I keep seeing comments on the Safefill FB page of gas stations taking out pumps. I know that some Morrison's have pumps, but certainly not all. Therefore at the moment sticking with Calor and living with the rediculas LPG price.

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Would like Safefill (lighter and gas is cheaper), BUT I keep seeing comments on the Safefill FB page of gas stations taking out pumps. I know that some Morrison's have pumps, but certainly not all. Therefore at the moment sticking with Calor and living with the rediculas LPG price.

There are still stations about. And it is still more convenient than Calor, even though there are more Calor suppliers. Half the time they don't have your size of bottle and have poor opening hours.

OP
OP
Rogerlathbury

Rogerlathbury

Free Member
Oct 6, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I 678
Exp
Off da Grid, maybe I should buy a second bottle, but I'm a bit concerned adding weight to only one side of the MH. I guess this would solve the problem.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Rogerlathbury

Rogerlathbury

Free Member
Oct 6, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I 678
Exp
There are still stations about. And it is still more convenient than Calor, even though there are more Calor suppliers. Half the time they don't have your size of bottle and have poor opening hours.
Yes you are probably right, I guess it's having the confidence to buy one. I guess i was hoping for a low cost quick fix. Decisions, decisions, decisions !!!!

thebriars

Free Member
Oct 20, 2018
Teesside
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 1990
Hi all,
I am looking for a device that monitors the gas level in my bottled gas. I've seen many from the Truma device with Bluetooth connecting to a smart phone (@ €130) down to the cheap as chips stick on ones at £2 or £3. I don't particularly want to spend €130 on this, but want something that works. I am seeing very mixed reviews of most. Opinions and recommendations would be most appreciated.
Gas-It do a Bluetooth one for around £60, however its only really suitable for a refillable bottle. Its pretty good, accurate to a few %.

OP
OP
Rogerlathbury

Rogerlathbury

Free Member
Oct 6, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I 678
Exp
Gas-It do a Bluetooth one for around £60, however its only really suitable for a refillable bottle. Its pretty good, accurate to a few %.
Really looking for one for Calor. Would prefer refillable, perhaps Safefill but concerned about reducing number of LPG stations

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
I use as several other Funsters do, a Mopeka sensor which is the same as the Gas-it one, that fixes to the bottom of Calor bottles and refillable's by magnets.

Very accurate and reliable, sends the level info to a bluetooth app on your mobile.

EdwardFT

Free Member
Aug 27, 2020
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2010
Tap the side of the bottle the sound changes when you get to the level of the liquid. I carry 2 bottles run it too empty and change
I could never be sure of hearing the change in sound. Like you I carry 2 bottles, run 1 to empty then change over and buy another at leisure. If you really want to know, you can disconnect the bottle and weigh it on bathroom scales. On Calor bottles the tare (i.e. empty weight) is on the collar attached to the neck of the bottle, in lbs and oz.

Jul 31, 2019
Devon
Funster No
MH
Swift Bessecar 584
Exp
Since April 2019
Hi all,
Hi Roger.... go CMC CLUB shop PRIMA, I bought this, GasStop Emergency Gas Shut-Off Valve. I bought this for our spare Calor bottle, it tells amount of gas left. I also have a 10kg Safefill refillable bottle as well. Best wishes. Smudger55

Nasher

Free Member
May 6, 2016
Pontardawe
Funster No
MH
Pug Boxer
Exp
Since 2013
I could never be sure of hearing the change in sound. Like you I carry 2 bottles, run 1 to empty then change over and buy another at leisure. If you really want to know, you can disconnect the bottle and weigh it on bathroom scales. On Calor bottles the tare (i.e. empty weight) is on the collar attached to the neck of the bottle, in lbs and oz.

There you go and only 7 quid:

Broken Link Removed

🙂

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
There you go and only 7 quid:

Broken Link Removed

🙂

Don't forget to get a couple of tubes of this to ease your pulled shoulder and back after yanking the gas bottle in and out to see how much gas is in it. :rofl: :rofl:

1600113596522.png

Jan 27, 2018
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Rapido & Bongone
I use as several other Funsters do, a Mopeka sensor which is the same as the Gas-it one, that fixes to the bottom of Calor bottles and refillable's by magnets.

Very accurate and reliable, sends the level info to a bluetooth app on your mobile.
Also available from amazon us (gasit comparison price more sensible than 2 yrs ago)
Amazon product ASIN B01C5RQJHSAmazon product ASIN B01C5RQKJA

Jul 3, 2019
Funster No
MH
Motorhome
Love my Mopeka sensors . You attach them via the magnet to the bottom of the tank and monitor via the Bluetooth smartphone app. I change the batteries on them each year and they are very reliable. I have a pair of Gasif bottles but there is nothing stopping you putting them on the calor tanks. My gasit has paid for itself several times over and if you are heading to mainland Europe then it is essential.

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
Has anybody tried these Mopeka sensors on a grey waste tank I know the tanks are plastic but would it work in the same fashion, as the factory fit one on our van is not good at all,

Aug 11, 2019
North Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun TI 700
Exp
A newbie
Gaslow have just introduced a bluetooth option called the Wave. I have one fitted and it is excellent. At a price!

Graham of Madrid

Free Member
Oct 22, 2018
Funster No
MH
Mc Louis Glamys 40
Exp
Since 2019
I use luggage scales to weigh the gas bottles and to check the Mopeka is reporting empty bottles correctly.

MikeyP

Free Member
May 12, 2010
Funster No
Gaslow have just introduced a bluetooth option called the Wave. I have one fitted and it is excellent. At a price!
Hi Chris - does this measure both bottles or do you have to buy two to do that? Cheers.

Lorryman100

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 29, 2015
UK/Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
27/11/2015
I have the Mopeka system and it works well enough in letting you know the rough levels in each bottle though the batteries don't last more than 6 months for me. The Gaslow bottles have a gauge in the top and once you work out just how they record the levels they are pretty accurate. But for me the most reliable tool I have is the level gauge from Truma. It visually lets you see the levels in a gas bottle, both refillable and Calor. The only downside is you need to place the tool against the bottle. But using all three methods lets me know when I need to top up.

IMG_1059.jpg

IMG_1060.jpg

IMG_1062.jpg

IMG_1061.jpg

Truma have also released a similar product to the Mopeka system though I have no experience of this particular model

ronidog1

Free Member
Nov 12, 2012
west yorkshire
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Over 10 years
Basic truma gas checker works well for me. I though it was a little expensive but now think it was worth it.

Aug 11, 2019
North Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun TI 700
Exp
A newbie
Unfortunately it just measures one cylinder. I have it on No 1 cylinder to monitor that. I am so impressed that I hope Santa brings me another in December.

Jan 30, 2020
Mid Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..

Following our discussion on this at the weekend, I’ve ordered one! Thanks for the recommendation! 👍🏻

Apr 6, 2019
Eye, Peterborough, UK
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
FourWinds Windsport 6.8L V10
Another vote for Mopeka. Sometimes cheaper to order from USA Amazon.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back